Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I either can't or do not know how to send you a .gpx via the forum. It is not anything special at all though so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

The attached pic is better than nothing though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    Stevebo-
    Here's a link to ordering USFS maps. The Chattooga River one is my go to map for the region. Get the waterproof one and enjoy the area!
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/scnfs/maps-pubs

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I was at Burrels Ford a few weeks ago. Very nice trail the 1.2 miles that I hiked to the campsite.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    I've never had trouble parking at the 76 bridge, 28 bridge, or Burrell's Ford- parked at each place probably half a dozen times or more.

The section between the 76 bridge and the 28 bridge makes a leisurely 3 day trip, and the shuttle is easy to set up if you have two cars. It doesn't follow the river as much as you'd think, given the name, but it's pretty anyway, good water, and plenty of spots to hang.

There are also a few loops that are possible- I like the one with the Foothills Trail and Fork Mountain Trail, but then you'd see less of the Chattooga River Trail.

The Chattooga River Trail is mostly marked, but can get confusing since there are so many side trails, especially the area around Burrells Ford. I found Tim Homan's guidebook for the area to be excellent- Hiking Trails of the Southern Nantahala, Ellicott Rock, and Chattooga River, and the USFS map that Fish on uses is good, though sometimes I use the Trails Illustrated maps #778 or #785, cause they also show the roads to get to the trailheads and show more of the intersecting trails like the Bartram or Foothills.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I have never hiked or camped in the Cohutta's, sure would like to share a camp fire and a few cups of coffee while listening to you relate some of those trips.
    Sounds great! Maybe I'll see you at a hang some day!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One more question------how are the roads getting to the trail heads? (I drive a toyota yaris--rides kinda low, definitely not great for off roading!) I really appreciate all the great information---you guys are the best! I've got to make it to a hang someday and meet you guys in person!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I dont have have the Chatooga Trail in gpx but I do have the foothills trail and the East Fork trail (that one that cuts across from Fish Hatchery to the Cahtooga). I can send it to you if you want it. I can just send the Basecamp file and you can have it all. I've done a bit of work on it for waypoints, mileages and such.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    One more question------how are the roads getting to the trail heads? (I drive a toyota yaris--rides kinda low, definitely not great for off roading!) I really appreciate all the great information---you guys are the best! I've got to make it to a hang someday and meet you guys in person!

I drove a Toyota Corolla to the Trailhead alittle bumpy but no problem.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
    I dont have have the Chatooga Trail in gpx but I do have the foothills trail and the East Fork trail (that one that cuts across from Fish Hatchery to the Cahtooga). I can send it to you if you want it. I can just send the Basecamp file and you can have it all. I've done a bit of work on it for waypoints, mileages and such.
    Sounds great! Thanks!

--unknown

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Chatooga is my favorite place. I was there a few weeks ago. We go several times per year and never had a parking safety concern.

Burrells ford road is a little bumpy, but not too bad, my buddy's Nissan Altima did fine.

At Burrells ford campground, you can go south for a half mile hike to the "campground". It's a real short loop campground down a forest service road. You can bring a wagon if you want (cooler, firewood)

Heading north is better. As one poster stated, 1.7 miles to East Fork river and there are several very good sites at and just before the junction. Look out for widow makers in the area. It was worse this year than last. Trail head is just past Burrells Ford parking lot just before the Chatooga Rive bridge on the SC side.

Trail to East Fork is very obvious. No map needed for navigation other than its a good practice. You are boxed in by the Chatooga to the west, Burrells Ford Rd to the south, East Fork to North, and the main highway and a lot of uphill to the east.

Plenty of water and good fishing. Fish in the deep holes vs the fast moving water. Firewood was a little more challenging at these sites because they are getting popular. Go a little further north, past east fork for less used sites. Even better is turn right/east at East Fork, go about 1/4 mile or so and camp on the north side of the East Fork river. Not good for tents, because its not flat, but hammocks are fine.

Great waterfalls very close to the trailhead.
    Spoonauger to the north on the main trail
    Kings Creek to the south through the Burrells Ford campground parking lot.

If you stop a the ranger station at Sumter National Forest??? Or is it Oconee State park??? On Hwy 107?, you can pick up a map for a couple bucks.
    KCCO

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast