WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

questions about the chatooga river trail in GA

Hey guys, just a few questions about the chatooga river trail. (I've lived in GA for 24 years, and have never hiked it!) 1. which trail heads are safe to park at over night or several days? 2. Any good places to swim? 3. Any suggestions for a easy 2 or 3 day hike? 4. any permits required for backpacking? Any thing else I need to know? Thanks for the info!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I do not have much experience with the Chattooga River (backpacked it once, and rafted it once too) but I recently had a conversation with a friend who frequents this area a lot. He suggested to me that I park at Burrells Ford and hike upstream 2-3 miles to find some nice campsites along the river. Also, he said that the trail runs close by the river from Burrels Ford to Ellicot Rock.

From my quick weekend backpacking experience there 2-3 years ago, there was a nice campsite where the foothills trail intersects the Chattooga River trail. There is a nice and cold swimming hole with your own personal waterfall at camp too!

I hope this helps some. I'm sure there are some people on this forum that know more about this area than I do. Enjoy!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks----------thats just the intel I needed!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

stevebo, from the bridge at Burrel's Ford, it is about 1.7 miles up to where the East Fork river merges in. There is a huge area very suitable for hanging there. Across the foot bridge over the East Fork is a fork in the trail, to the right you will go toward the fish hatchery, and to the left toward Endicot Rock. Several side trails opportunities in that area. One thing for sure, you won't worry about water.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    So, is the trail well marked? Also, any idea if there is a half way decent down loadable map available? Any problems with trail heads/car breakins?

--unknown

I don't know of any maps, though there probably are some available. I have parked near the bridge at Burrel's Ford two times for two or three nights and have had no problem, nor have I heard of others having problems, so it seems safe enough. The signage on the trails is old and hard to read on some of it, but the trails get enough use that they are pretty clean. If you go up there you will be in some beautiful country and will want to go back.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I hiked it from Burrel's Ford to Hwy 76 March two years ago. It was a good hike. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. Plenty of places to camp/hang. Left a car at the Burrel's Ford campground parking lot and a car at the Hwy 76 FS parking lot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    So, is the trail well marked? Also, any idea if there is a half way decent down loadable map available? Any problems with trail heads/car breakins?
    I think I have some, if not all, the chattooga trail on a .gpx file. At the very least, you could use some software (garmin or other) to view my file and print your own map. I can locate that file when I get home, if interested.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I think I have some, if not all, the chattooga trail on a .gpx file. At the very least, you could use some software (garmin or other) to view my file and print your own map. I can locate that file when I get home, if interested.
    Sounds great! Thanks! Really appreciate all the advice! (usually go to the Cohuttas in the summer, but I've been there a gazillion times--wanted to try something new!)
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-02-2013 at 10:57.

--unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Sounds great! Thanks! Really appreciate all the advice! (usually go to the Cohuttas in the summer, but I've been there a gazillion times--wanted to try something new!)
    I have never hiked or camped in the Cohutta's, sure would like to share a camp fire and a few cups of coffee while listening to you relate some of those trips.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast