Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.

Big Shoulder Skweez

Hi - anyone have any luck alleviating shoulder squeeze with a shorter ridge line? I'm experimenting and hope to find nirvana. Here's my deal.

I'm 5'10 and 185lbs. I have a muscular build with very large shoulders - so my width is a little abnormal and my top half is probably thicker than normal too.

I am wondering if I shorten the rl by 1" or so, if I'll get a deeper sag and reduce the shoulder pressure and the tendency for my chin to be pushed toward my chest. (yes, as diagonal as possible). Suspension is angled with the feet about 4" higher - equally distanced, and tensioned so that you can still get a "two fingered twist" to go 90 degrees in the RL.

Thoughts? I really don't want to give up on finding a comfortable hang!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    What kind of hammock, and how long is it? Longer hammocks deal with leg ridge better and may help shoulder squeeze, too. Also, when experimenting with ridge line length, don't assume that shorter is better. Try longer, as well. I don't know why, but I often have trouble guessing which way to adjust. Finally, use side tie-outs at right ankle and left shoulder (if you sleep that way). I use a 12" loop of 1/8" bungee on each side attached to the hammock, then attach the guy lines to the loops. It's more than I need for a silnylon tarp tie-out, but the side-to-side motion of a hammock when you enter or exit means you need more give. Tighten up the shoulder tie-out a lot. Look at the tension when you're in the hammock, and if necessary tighten it some more. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    Standard WBBB, 1.7 (double layer). I got rid of the leg ridge with better suspension setup (angle, primarily). Just had that squeezy chin to chest feeling last time that made it bad.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can you slide down more toward your foot end. That may open up your top end.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It sounds like you were too centered in the hammock. That will put you into the banana lie with shoulder squeeze and a bent back and neck. I'd play around with position in the hammock as well as the other ideas. Keep notes as one loses track with many changes.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Good excuse to buy a 11ft. bird..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    "Chin to chest" isn't really shoulder squeeze, shoulder squeeze is more "shoulder to shoulder". You might try lowering the head end so it's 10-12" lower than the foot end. not really sure why your shoulders would be signifigantly lower than your head, that's a new one for me. i supose you could be top heavy or something (sl1.7 is normally appropriate for someone 185 though)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    "Chin to chest" isn't really shoulder squeeze, shoulder squeeze is more "shoulder to shoulder". You might try lowering the head end so it's 10-12" lower than the foot end. not really sure why your shoulders would be signifigantly lower than your head, that's a new one for me. i supose you could be top heavy or something (sl1.7 is normally appropriate for someone 185 though)
    It's actually both. I'll dial it in - just looking for anyone similarly proportionate and what they may have done to accommodate their physiological challenges. I thought I *might* have been onto something with a slightly shorter RL... maybe not.

Images

Big Shoulder Skweez

Well shorter might help! Or not. Put a loop/knot in your RL, with a small not sharp stick/toggle of some kind in the middle of the knot so u can untie it easy when u r done testing. (Just make sure the toggle can't poke thru the net) Quick n easy way to know, before u make any perm changes. Main thing for me with a bb is to hang the foot end plenty higher but u have probably already done that.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    Thanks for the inputs!! The recommendation for hanging the head 10-12" lower than the feet is going to be tried tonight. I never exceeded the 6" mark (seriously - I've labbed this up in my shop and have tight controls on variables. Tape measures all over the place).

On the upside... my kids are in LOVE with their BBs. My daughter says she's never slept better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast