WB Traveler
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Silver Metalized Coated Ripstop?

D.I.Y Gear Supply carries "75d Silver Metalized Coated Ripstop", where "...one side is coated with a silver metalized silicone coating which is great for reflecting heat."

Anyone have any experience with this material? I thought it would make a good outer layer for a UQ or an undercover (with metalized side facing the body). I wonder how much heat is actually reflected...?

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...oated-fabrics/

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I bought some, and it's a nice material. In a discussion of its reflective properties, Knotty reminded me that radiant energy won't pass through solid objects. Reflective layers function most effectively when there's just air (or a vacuum) between the reflector and the heat source. Also they work better when there's quite a large difference of temperature. What that means is that a space blanket (or a piece of this fabric) that is close to your body without anything in between will do a good job of reflecting your heat back to you. Alternatively, a silver tarp hung as a reflector near a campfire will reflect the heat well (because of the high heat source.) In addition to reflecting heat well, shiny surfaces emit radiant energy poorly, so a shiny outer surface on a pot cozy is helpful. Take these principles and think up another use for this stuff.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    For what it's worth, I made an IX/climashield UQ for a buddy. We added a sheet of this on the very outside of everything for a couple reasons. One was to block cold drafts from robbing heat built up in the UQ (trap heat in). Also, and related, was to hold heat from the 'heat source' in the climashield/IX. Whether it's reflecting and what laws of thermodynamics apply, I can't say. I can say it's plenty warm and works for him.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Wow I wasn't expecting such a thorough answer, thanks WV!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zhixson View Post
    Wow I wasn't expecting such a thorough answer, thanks WV!
    That's just a summary from an earlier thread on this stuff - not my research, you understand, but thanks. The ball's in your court.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    That's just a summary from an earlier thread on this stuff - not my research, you understand, but thanks. The ball's in your court.
    Man! I always like what you say! Straight to the point answers and mostly spot on! I (and others) have learned lots from your posts! Thanks!

So if you were to make a jacket with this material and had layers on, would it reflect heat back?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Man! I always like what you say! Straight to the point answers and mostly spot on! I (and others) have learned lots from your posts! Thanks!

So if you were to make a jacket with this material and had layers on, would it reflect heat back?
    Yes, maybe, somewhat, but you'd sweat like a pig. It's not breathable.
    -----
    Hmmmm. "Yes, maybe, somewhat, but..." That's not exactly straight to the point, is it? I must be slipping.
    Last edited by WV; 07-02-2013 at 19:09.

Images
    When Columbia released their Omni-heat products I had mused that using silver tulle might work the same way. I was thinking of something like a bug suit to be worn under heavier layers. That would probably be a bit scratchy, this might work better. Perhaps use it like a thermal sleeping bag liner or anywhere you see Columbia using their product. The inside of a Black Rock style beanie or perhaps use it to cover one side of a hammock pillow (the winter side) with something cool and wicking on the other side for summer.
    I had planned to supplement my possum down gloves with something like yellow kitchen gloves for a waterproof/windproof layer and then had the idea to try silver shield gloves used for PPE (just google it) since it sounds like they are aluminized, but they are grey, not silver and I don't think they do the same thing at all. I did get a pair, but can't speak to the reflectivity.
    I had these stuffed in the bag with the gravity bag so I could dunk it in the river without getting my hands wet. My friend pulled it out and asked me why one of our water bladders was shaped like a hand. I almost died laughing.

Many people report a regular bug net adds a few degrees of warmth in winter. I'd much prefer to sleep in the open, but there are times, that bit of warmth might be needed. Using silver tulle would be an interesting experiment.

Using it on a camp chair in winter which you've presumably placed facing a fire might make things warmer as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Yes, maybe, somewhat, but you'd sweat like a pig. It's not breathable.
    -----
    Hmmmm. "Yes, maybe, somewhat, but..." That's not exactly straight to the point, is it? I must be slipping.
    Missed that part. Oh well.

• + New Posts