Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin

Finally conquered my fear of hammocks - took me almost 3 years!

I've been obsessed with the idea of hanging for nearly three years. Ever since Shug's videos introduced me to the wonderful world of suspension and tarps. I made my own, to see if I could fall asleep in the air - turns out I couldn't . . . until now.

I've read, "hammocks aren't for everyone" and figured I was one of the unlucky few that just didn't jive with them, but I couldn't figure out why.

Most days, I'd have a sore neck, shoulder, or back from sleeping wrong. Always thinking how nice it would be to use a hammock. I would lay awake in my hammock ALL NIGHT, until I'd eventually give up and go to sleep in my bed, and wake up sore in the morning.

It wasn't that I was uncomfortable - I really think it boils down to fear. I must have had a fear of falling in the back of my mind, that just didn't allow me to relax. (I've fallen a few times throughout the years- nothing major, mostly just disconcerting - usually from forgetting to back up my descender rings with a slippery hitch, and once when I used paracord for my suspension, before I knew better) I think subconsciously, my brain couldn't let me relax while suspended in the air.

Last weekend was the first time I managed to actually sleep in my hammock, and every night since has been BLISS! I FINALLY got over my fear! I just can't believe how long it took! I just want to tell people to stick to it, if anyone can relate. (I took some tylenol PM's for my very sore neck caused by my futon, which might have helped me relax enough to fall asleep that first time)

I've been a member here since September of 2010, but just now ordered my kit! I couldn't buy stuff, if it was impossible for me to use, so I waited.

I've been obsessed with splicing rope, learning knots, diagonal lays, hangles, tarps, etc - or at least the idea of these things. I just couldn't let it go. A lack of properly spaced trees might have also had something to do with not getting enough experience.

Ever since I got over my fear, I feel like tossing my bed (lopsided futon) out on the curb, and I've been hanging full-time since that first day.

I FINALLY bought some real gear, now that I know I'll be able to use it. It's been a long time coming, but I'm glad I waited, because of how "hammock technology" has evolved. I pulled the trigger on a 12 foot OMW tarp w/snakeskins from Wilderness Logics, and an eleven foot DangerBird from DreamHammock. I got some DutchWare and Zing-It to rig the OMW tarp, and have been using my TurtleLady Tribute Stand indoors with my MYOG Hammock with a regular sleeping bag until my new one arrives.

Now, I'm in the market for insulation. I think I'll try a ccf pad, but I know I'm going to go with an underquilt and maybe even a top quilt too. Thanks to HammockForums.net for not letting me give up!
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Congrats! Great story. You must feel so good finally being able to fully enjoy something you love.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Praise the Lord, Banana! Can I say that?

I am so glad that you stuck it out.

What a story! Thank you so much for sharing that. My goodness.

Sounds like you got some great gear, too. I jumped right in and have wasted some money for the lack of fear (and not listening), which can be called called foolhardiness. So, there's a purpose in everything, right?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Whew.

I was a little bit nervous opening up this thread, afraid of the avatar I might find with a forum name like Banana Hammock.

Glad you found your comfort.

Jason

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Whew.

I was a little bit nervous opening up this thread, afraid of the avatar I might find with a forum name like Banana Hammock.

Glad you found your comfort.

Jason
    I hope my avatar didn't disappoint you, while still living up to the name Just DON'T GOOGLE it!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Truly an inspirational story. Congratulations on confronting and overcoming your fears.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That's awesome! So glad that you got over your fear!

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Funny thing is, I didn't realize I was scared. It was subconscious (from previous falls - never asleep), just an underlying tension, that kept me on edge and unable to fall asleep. Many nights, getting so close to sleeping, like in that state between being awake and unconscious, for hours and having to give up and instantly falling asleep as soon as I got in my uncomfortable bed. I couldn't understand it, but now I do.

I think it was lack of experience, but building the TurtleLady Tribute stand indoors, let me really tackle this obstacle more frequently. I tried for four nights straight indoors before it happened. I'm just glad I didn't give up.

Now, I've got four nights of suspended sleep under my belt, and the kinks in my back and neck have TOTALLY GONE AWAY! That's the best part! My family wanted me to see a doctor, because I was always complaining about my stiff parts.

When it was more of an ordeal (having to go out and find trees), I was not getting any closer to resolving my issues. I don't think it would have taken me three years if I had tried more often. It's just that I couldn't really devote the time, knowing that I'd get no rest during the trials and tribulations.

I owe a lot of thanks to TurtleLady for allowing me to pursue my quest to join the hangers more vigorously, inside the comfort of my home. I went from never hanging (just a total poseur) to a full-time hanger in the span of a few days

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Truth be known, most of us had problems adapting to a hammock.

In the beginning there was the common backyard yard hammock that most had tried and either been dumped or found miserable. And we persevered. On the second day there was the Hammock Forum which began the enlightenment. And we persevered. On the third day with the introduction of Just Jeff and Shug we gained a deeper understanding of the magic involved. And we persevered. On the fourth day we were exposed to DIY and all that it entailed and required. And we persevered. On day five the mysteries of amsteel and titanium were revealed. And we persevered. Day six resulted in the culmination of all newly learned skills. On the seventh day we rested ... in our hammock.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Truth be known, most of us had problems adapting to a hammock.

In the beginning there was the common backyard yard hammock that most had tried and either been dumped or found miserable. And we persevered. On the second day there was the Hammock Forum which began the enlightenment. And we persevered. On the third day with the introduction of Just Jeff and Shug we gained a deeper understanding of the magic involved. And we persevered. On the fourth day we were exposed to DIY and all that it entailed and required. And we persevered. On day five the mysteries of amsteel and titanium were revealed. And we persevered. Day six resulted in the culmination of all newly learned skills. On the seventh day we rested ... in our hammock.
    You went all biblical on me there! So are Just-Jeff and Shug our version of Adam and Eve?

Which one tasted the forbidden fruit in the Garden?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast