Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Speer III

Images
    The Velcro is a PIA but I decided that, at least on the PeaPod, it is less of a PIA than zippers. Like Ed said, some of it is getting used to it and the learning curve. Though the noise is always a problem, but then zippers are not always silent anyway. But with practice I got where I was pretty quick getting her sealed up, and getting out is not even a contest. In fact, if you don't use a little caution, you will open up unintentionally, but I can't say that has really been a problem once you learn to avoid certain movements, All things considered, I consider it a net plus.

Of course, using a quilt in a hammock has no zipper issues anyway. But I do love the incredible heat efficiency that seems to occur when I close that PeaPod down all the way or to a tiny breathing hole, much the same to closing up the hood on a mummy bag. But, no hassle either getting the bag zipped or unzipped.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Which dead silent locations do you guys camp in? I've usually got wind or rain or some stream within ear shot. Even in my backyard there is some background noise.

I suppose if I wanted to pounce on someone stealthily from underneath my bugnet the noise of Velcro might quell might efforts. The Velcro noise might also inhibit my ability to stealth hang in a library or church. Aside from that, I can't see the problem with noise.

Is it that you're self-conscious about others knowing if you adjusted your bugnet or peapod??

If zippers are never a problem, why do so many sleeping bag manufacturers boast about self-healing zippers?

Images
    Once or twice, when hanging right next to some one else. I have been concerned about waking them up when I had to get up in the middle of the night. This was a worse problem when being in a tent with another person, and having to unzip bags and the tent.

Mostly though, in a hammock, I am far enough away that they would never hear me, or I am by myself and only have to worry about startling the bears.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Which dead silent locations do you guys camp in? I've usually got wind or rain or some stream within ear shot.
    Yes absolutely! Those sounds are one of my most favorite things and a big part of why I love the woods. But, I consider those soothing sounds. The rip of velcro....not so much.

I like the ziploc idea! But I've got a feeling it would last about 12 minutes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yes absolutely! Those sounds are one of my most favorite things and a big part of why I love the woods. But, I consider those soothing sounds. The rip of velcro....not so much.
    My point about the background noise is that someone ten feet away could scarcely distinguish Velcro from a squirrel hopping if a stream is nearby or there are enough crickets. I try to sleep pretty light since I solo in bear and boar country.

I believe the military has developed stealth omni-tape. Right now only Spec. Ops. have access to it as the balance of power and world domination would fall to "them" if "they" ever got the technology. ( Please do not discuss this outside this forum.)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I believe the military has developed stealth omni-tape. Right now only Spec. Ops. have access to it as the balance of power and world domination would fall to "them" if "they" ever got the technology. ( Please do not discuss this outside this forum.)
    NO WAY!? I'm so calling my seal buddy. Think he may be at sea right now using pirates for target practice, but he owes me. Time to collect a favor.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234