Thread: Giant newbie

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!

Giant newbie

Well I seem to be doing things backwards..This forum has been a big help figuring things out.
    For quite a while I have had a rothco OD super Hammock I originally got that hammock because it is supposed to have a one ton rating and i am 6'6" 300+lbs
    I hung for the first time while in Greece. I wasn't camping, it was just a nap. I would not recommend sleeping in that hammock. But I still fell in love. I immediately tried to find a better way to support my hammock. Got some tie down straps from Walmart to use as tree huggers and support... They were each like 20 ft long with a hook.. So I would just wrap the tree and hang the hammock from the hooks.

Then I got some amsteel and made some whoopie slings... Still with the same hammock. so now i cut the straps and have a pretty decent suspension system, but no good hammock. Got a 90x156 taffeta tablecloth on the way (well 2, one for me one for my wife). Wife is pretty tiny.. We might even get two hammocks out of her tablecloth.

As I said I am a BIG man, any tips for oversized hangers would be extremely appreciated!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Your headed down the right path with Tableclothfactory.com. Great value for both those who are looking for a bargain and those needing heavier materials.

These would be car or canoe camping kits for me, being a bit heavier than Nylon counterparts.

If you intend to hike with it, a double layer from nearly any of our cottage vendors would save you a few ounces, and still easily handle the needed weight ranges.

As for suspension, Amsteel Whoopie Slings and 1" Poly Tree Hugger straps, which are the lightest and probably most preferred, also provide enough strength to keep you safely in the air. Warbonnet's cinch buckle and strap system is probably even stronger, and also a more than safe choice, as well.

HF has a number of hangers dealing with heavier weight ranges than you. Probably more tips to come. I'd go with 11 or 12' length for you, and maybe 10' for your wife, if she's really small.

Good luck and welcome to HF!

Rolloff!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    300 here too
    Skip the tie down hooks. Sometimes they fail. Cut em off, Stitch on some loops. Make sure the webbing is NOT nylon. Nylon stretches like a rubber band and you'll find yourself dragging bottom in a few hours. Polyester is the webbing of choice. 1200-2000 lb rating is adequate.

Legal beagles have made the vendors state wt. ratings. Some vendors have tested their hammocks in excess of 500 lbs without fail.
    Most hammocks support much more weight as long as your not getting crazy. Swinging, jumping into it, etc., are where the damage usually comes.

Treat it with respect and you should be fine.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Got my tablecloth in today... Just whipped the ends with some 550 chord. If I could figure out how to keep it shut I wouldn't even need a bug net. this thing is big enough to lay pretty flat and still wrap all the way around me.

I already cut the hooks off the webbing. They were strong enough but not necessary with the whoopies. Made my wife a set of whoopies. She wanted me to try and make two for her so i folded the cloth in half and whipped it that way to test the size. I think it makes a nice chair, I also think she fell in love with my giant one. She hasn't seen the little one yet.

So I'm in mid Michigan. I have absolutely no actual camping experience. I love survival stuff. Have what is essentially a bug out bag (that now has a hammock instead of a bivy tent.). But I dont know where I can really go camping. I know where I can go to state parks and rent a lot surrounded my RVs and fake camping, but don't know the first place to look to do any survival type camping.

Also any direction toward ridiculously cheap tarp or tarp material would be appreciated. That's the biggest thing missing from my gear. And i have no money to spend

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Wild camping can be found in Manistee, Huron, or Hiawatha Ntl Forests. All within a few hours of your town. Also, search the trip reports section. A lot of folks have done the trails in the northern part of the state.

You can probably find a vendor here on the board that will sell you silnylon to make a tarp. Look in the DIY section.

Have fun...and Welcome to the board!!
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    If you have a hammock that is to small for your body size. Like your feet stick out or comes right to the edge it will be uncomfortable. You must have a larger size. Welcome 2 Hammock Forums! <><

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    You can get a poly tarp from Walmart to serve you for now. Most folks on here call them blue Walmart tarps, but I picked up some the other day that are CAMO!!! They were a few bucks more. I believe they run $12.88 for the 8x10. They have very nice reinforced tie outs, especially on the corners. You can turn it on the diagonal and have plenty of coverage for your 12' hammock. Look on the trip planning forum and try to get to a hang in your area. You will meet great people and learn tons about hammock camping.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

See? See what trying out a hammock can do to you? Can you imagine what a continued association with hammocks will do to your will power? Ha,ha. Welcome to the joy of hammock camping/hanging/building/talking/etc..
    I look forward to reports on your first use of the tablecloth hammocks, I have some of them myself and they are great.

Welcome to the site from Atlanta, GA.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    It is addicting. I slept half the night last night in the hammock. Folded the extra over and surrounded myself, keeping all the bugs out. I did not expect the bugs buzzing around trying to get in to be so annoying. But they didn't get in so i was happy! Would have been out there the whole night if the wife didn't want me to come in at some point. Anyone know about the possibility of mosquitos biting through the hammock?

It's also contagious. I am working at a summer camp right now and since I have been putting mine up I've gotten two people who are gonna buy them from me and three more asking about them!

Is silnylon the best option for a lightweight compact tarp? im honestly more concerned about how compact it is than how heavy it is, but those things seem to go together. I've got plenty of those thick "blue Walmart" tarps. So I have stuff I can use, but those things don't fit very well in a survival bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast