Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Rocky Mtn. NP info

OK guys I am interested in a trip Aug.1 to RMNP how condusive is it for hanging a hammock? Any must do routes? All info will you can give will be helpful.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    RMNP? EagleJ I'm lookin forward to the trip report from this one!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    PM easy_grounder, he's been spearheading our trip planning for RNMP this coming August as well...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Are you car camping or looking to hike in and camp?

I have found no restrictions on hanging a hammock in RMNP. When I talked to one of the rangers I was told there weren't any specific restrictions regarding hammocks. However, he said some rangers will check to see if you are using webbing straps around the trees to prevent damage.

If you camp in one of the campgrounds, you might have trouble finding a spot where the trees allow you to set up in the designated area.

If you plan on driving up a Forest Service road and camping, you really need to contact the ranger station for the area. There's a lot of beetle kill in some areas and sometimes they close them to clean up the trees. You wouldn't want to camp there anyway because there are 8-10ft high piles of cut up trees everywhere waiting to be hauled out.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL &amp; 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Rings
    I haven't been there since before I was hanging. My overall impression is that it shouldn't be a problem. I do remember fondly, hiking up Estes Cone. It is a small peak with a killer 360 degree view. It was pretty easy, marked with cairns, and with a small amount of class III near the summit.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    I haven't been there since before I was hanging. My overall impression is that it shouldn't be a problem. I do remember fondly, hiking up Estes Cone. It is a small peak with a killer 360 degree view. It was pretty easy, marked with cairns, and with a small amount of class III near the summit.
    That's kind of what I thought, I've been to the Sierras several times and did not have any issues. Looking at the map the terrain looks similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    Are you car camping or looking to hike in and camp?

I have found no restrictions on hanging a hammock in RMNP. When I talked to one of the rangers I was told there weren't any specific restrictions regarding hammocks. However, he said some rangers will check to see if you are using webbing straps around the trees to prevent damage.

If you camp in one of the campgrounds, you might have trouble finding a spot where the trees allow you to set up in the designated area.

If you plan on driving up a Forest Service road and camping, you really need to contact the ranger station for the area. There's a lot of beetle kill in some areas and sometimes they close them to clean up the trees. You wouldn't want to camp there anyway because there are 8-10ft high piles of cut up trees everywhere waiting to be hauled out.

HTH
    We are planning on backpacking starting day1, maybe 10 to 15 miles pd. currently considering a loop from Bear Lake TH to the CDT back around Longs peak.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I go backpacking in RMNP often, almost everywhere we have gone the trees have been fine. There is a lot of beetle kill in the trees (widow maker galore), but finding a place for the hammock has never been an issue. I have had rangers check both my tree straps and snoop around to see if we had a fire. Bear canisters required, but we have never been called on that one.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    We will also be out in Colorado at the end of this month and have been looking for a loop trail. Mostly thinking RMNP. Any good 20 mile loops recommended?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    We will also be out in Colorado at the end of this month and have been looking for a loop trail. Mostly thinking RMNP. Any good 20 mile loops recommended?
    http://www.coloradofiremaps.com
    This site may be helpful to you in your planning. We've been having some pretty hefty afternoon squalls lately. Rain-Hail-Bolts... Heavy rains around old fire zones are high risk for mud slides and flooding. Beatles are working their way from north to south. If you are still thinking of RMNP, I was up north of chambers lake on co103 mid June for a 7day solo. Posted album photos today. Small oasis of life in the middle of armageddon.
    UNCLERUSTY
    Surviving Colorado
    B.A.C.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7/ENO Dbl Nest, WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phx UQ/BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    web/whoopies/DCs
    I just hammock camped there a few months ago. If at the campground/ RV sites, the designated spots are small square sites for 1-3 tents to bed down on each numbered site. They are "raised" with a clay like ground with a 4x4 marking the perimeter of each spot, about 10'x10' approximately. These are the only spots in the campground that you can hang a hammock over, after talking to the ranger there. So, trees must align with these spots. I know, llllllllllaaaaaaaaaaame.

I got in late and didn't see the ranger, read the rules, paid my fee and camped happily on one of the numbered site's overlooks that had the properly spaced trees. The next morning the ranger drove up and explained the above rules. She said that the tree straps do damage the trees to some degree and walking off path and off the designated square tent site creates erosion, which is bad for the environment. I guess those gas guzzling, pollution spewing, carbon yielding, unrecyclable, hazerdous, synthetic products used in all the millions of RVs and campers, that create holes in the earth are good for the environment? They are allowed but not a few pieces of recycleable sil nylon??? Fail!!!

She then took interest in my hammock setup, where I enlightened her interest before I inquired on how to allow hammock designated sites in the park, where all they have are just ones for tents and RVs. She said it would take an act of congress. So, anyone know or are related to a member of congress?

If filing for a back country permit away from stupid roads that carry RVs, I imagine you will be just fine, as others above have said. Good luck and don't miss out on RMNP, do it and do it in a hammock!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast