Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Check out the map on the main page at http://baxpax.org for trail locations. Hover over a flag for the trail name and then click "more info..." to go to that trails page.

There are a lot of awesome trails in the Southeast region for anyone looking for a backpacking adventure to go along with their hang.

Cedar Creek info, in Ashland, MO, is there as well. We know that area well.
    Last edited by JBizzle; 08-13-2013 at 20:08.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've hosted several KC area hangs...and they're a lot easier for me to setup than something in Columbia. I was hoping that I'd be able to garner the use of a specific site north of Columbia when I posted this thread, but that's fallen through, and honestly I've not had time to try to call around that area to find out what parks we might be able to hang in.

Now, in the KC area, that's a different critter.

We've had several gatherings out at the Woodridge Public Use area, which is just on the Western side of Clinton Lake. I'm hoping to be getting back out there soon. It's free, there are about 4.5 miles of trails, vault latrines, and a well at the trailhead.

If you guys are interested in setting one up for out there, I'd be game.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up for a backpacking trip hang in Ashland or 2-3 hours South of there, where the good backpacking in Missouri is.

Car camping in a parking lot just isn't the same to me.

Unfortunately there are no good places to overnight backpack West of Columbia.

Let's get a backpacking hang together like all the big boys have.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
    Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up for a backpacking trip hang in Ashland or 2-3 hours South of there, where the good backpacking in Missouri is.

Car camping in a parking lot just isn't the same to me.

Unfortunately there are no good places to overnight backpack West of Columbia.

Let's get a backpacking hang together like all the big boys have.
    Sorry to hear that. Thought you had a good time when you were here.

Given my work situation, traveling to the other side of MO isn't feasible for me. That's why I was hoping for something a bit closer where we might all meet up...with the idea of Columbia as the 'in the middle'. Two hours of travel I can swing...four I cannot.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Thought you had a good time when you were here.

Given my work situation, traveling to the other side of MO isn't feasible for me. That's why I was hoping for something a bit closer where we might all meet up...with the idea of Columbia as the 'in the middle'. Two hours of travel I can swing...four I cannot.

Hey, no hard feelings Owl. You organize a great hang. I just prefer to hang after a nice hike though the serenity of the woods. I'm sure everyone has seen the videos of Shug, Fronkey, Skygzr, etc. backpacking to get to their hangs. I wasn't planning on taking any days off for the adventure. I usually backpack Friday night through Sunday morning and get two nights in the woods, so it's the same amount of time in a way more scenic place. I work 8-5 M-F so I usually leave KC around 5pm arriving at the Trailhead at about 10pm after a full day of work. We then typically hike 2-3 miles that night to get away from the parking area/roads but it's not that bad for a Friday night and after a few hours in the car.

I'm not trying to take over the thread, just making my suggestion.

Heck I'd be happy with Cedar Creek in Ashland. It's 20 minutes from Columbia but a lot less scenic.
    Last edited by JBizzle; 08-14-2013 at 14:20.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I would be interested in a hike and hang. I was tentatively planning a trip over to the OT at the end of September with a buddy of mine. Any other suggestions for great places to hike and hang in Missouri? That website isn't pulling up for me.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopes View Post
    I would be interested in a hike and hang. I was tentatively planning a trip over to the OT at the end of September with a buddy of mine. Any other suggestions for great places to hike and hang in Missouri? That website isn't pulling up for me.
    https://baxpax.shutterfly.com/
    JBizzle

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopes View Post
    Kingsville, MO? Woah, that's close. I live in Lone Jack. Maybe we should do our own Johnson County, MO hang. I have a Hennessy and a DD Hammock that I can bring. I sure would like to check out a WBBB.

I agree that it's time to pick a date and get this scheduled. The closer we get, the hard it is to schedule. I vote for late October/early November.
    I JUST got off the phone with a friend.... we're potentially going to go to the Blue and Grey park on Friday night. I've never been there but am told there's a great section with hammock friendly trees. That'd be cool! 56 for the low.... I'm thinking that's too hard to resist!

I'm just east of Lonejack. Kingsville is simply where my post office is. I'm just off of AA past the fireworks place. So I'm probably lots closer than you thought.

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Re: Missouri/Columbia Area/October-ish Hang?

Blue and Gray is fantastic. I've never hung out there, just some hiking and geocaching. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think camping is technically allowed out there except for the designated campsites. Not that you'll have any problem stealth camping, there is around 1200 acres to get lost in.

You are really close. Maybe less than a mile. I live off south outer belt road, about a mile and a half south of 50. It's going to be a great weekend for hang. I'm actually out in the hammock in my yard right now. My 4 year old daughter is above me, her first night in a hammock, hope this goes well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    Cool - I'm going to confirm with my friend that we'll be out there some time on Friday. I can post when and specifically where. But B&G does allow camping (as you have noted) and my friend has found a great spot with many trees. I'll be bringing my 12 y/o son and 11 y/o daughter. My friend will likely have his 10 y/o son as well - so it's totally a family friendly deal. Just an overnight - hot dogs, campfire, and showing the kids how to cook on alcohol stoves.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast