Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Hammock Fan

For those hot, humid nights when car camping I picked up one of these from a local Home Hardware here in Ontario http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...l2h/R-I3828184. I've been looking for a small fan for when I'm using a bug net with my ENO Double Nest as it can get VERY muggy inside. It operates on 2 D cell batteries but apparently runs for 100 hours (I'm assuming that is on the low setting). I drilled a small hole in the back plate and pulled some paracord through with a not. I then plan on securing it to either the head end or foot end of the hammock on the inside of the bug net (so the fan will rest on the hammock itself). I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it can at least move some air around inside and help cool me off a bit. I'll post some pics when I get it set up and report back as to how it worked (or didn't).

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    My experience is they do not put out much air unless they are fairly close to your face. You may have a different experience. I feel too cocooned in my Hennessy Safari anyway, it is just too big for me, the fan was not enough to circulate the air enough to assist in keeping cool.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I won't be at all suprised if my experience is the same but I figured for $10 it's worth a shot. I've laid in that thing on nights where I would pay way more for just a breathe of air movement lol

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a similar fan that I haven't used on a trip yet. I tested it indoors with 2 AA Eneloop Batteries with D-cell adapters a couple of days ago. It was sitting about 5' away set on low and I could feel the breeze. I got 8.5 hours of useful fan time. I'm sure D-cells would last at least 5 times longer.

FYI my fan is advertised as lasting 100 hours as well.

Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I have a little Circulair brand "Chilly Bean" portable fan powered by two AA batteries, and it has really made some hot and humid nights more comfortable in my solo tent on bicycle trips in the past. I'm going to try it in my hammock tonight. When I used it in my tent, I set it up close to my head and it was very effective. I'll probably have to mess with it a bit to get it hung in the right position in my WBBB XLC.

I got the thing as a gift and it sat in a drawer for years. I decided to try it one summer and now I'm convinced it's a must-have accessory for summer camping (I hate the heat).

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have a small fan that also runs on 2 D-cell batteries. I made 2 small loops with some paracord, and wrapped them around the base, where the batteries go. Then used a small biner to attach it to my hammock ridgeline. Then I can move it close to my face, or slide it further down. Used it a few weeks ago, and it worked great. Bought it at Wally World a few years ago. I have a small piece of plastic that I slip between the batter and contact, to keep the fan from coming on when carrying. I would hate to carry it, and then couldn't use it because the batteries died.........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think a fan would help. Certainly better then nothing. Another idea is something I read a while back by "The Old Coot" suggesting to set the tarp up as a wind catcher to help cool as well. Don't know where the article is now, but it covered site selection, cooling being one of them.

I found that the small o2 cool fans that run on two AA's put out more air than the fan that takes the d batteries. I clip 3 too my RL and its keeps me pretty cool.

One at the head end blowing down the hammock towards the top of my head.
    One at the foot end blowing down the hammock towards my feet.
    And one overhanging my chest.

I will be using the fan that takes the d batteries and place it under the hammy to blow air at my back.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    I found that the small o2 cool fans that run on two AA's put out more air than the fan that takes the d batteries. I clip 3 too my RL and its keeps me pretty cool.

One at the head end blowing down the hammock towards the top of my head.
    One at the foot end blowing down the hammock towards my feet.
    And one overhanging my chest.

I will be using the fan that takes the d batteries and place it under the hammy to blow air at my back.
    Now thats taking comfort seriously. I'd be interested in hearing how the big O2Cool fan does for you as that is the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner968 View Post
    Now thats taking comfort seriously. I'd be interested in hearing how the big O2Cool fan does for you as that is the one I have.
    I will be testing it out in two weeks at the Texas Butt Bake and will post a report.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast