Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

New Dude with some questions

Great site and great advise from everyone. Thank you for all that you share.

I am doing my research preparing to make my first. I think this will be a great alternative to tent camping for me. I am preparing to do some camping while touring on my motorcycle this year. So, weight is not a huge concern for me, since the bike will be handling the load.

I have purchased some parachute fabric from some dude in the UK. 10 meters by 48" wide. My concern is the width. From your site, you say that 48 will work, but wider is somewhat better. I am 6'2" 220lbs, so I want wide for room.

I havent seen anywhere in my readings where someone has actually stitched fabric to gain width. I was thinking about adding material to each side of the 48" strip to gain width. I am thinking that most of the load is contained in the middle of the width of the hammock (i.e. the 48" width) and the sides are less loaded. With this I am thinking that the seams would not be a problem.

Can you provide some input on my thinking? It sure would save me some learning by the school of hard knocks learning curve.

Thanks in advance. Oh, just to add some more info about my setup that I am planning.

I will be using tree huggers type straps with a beaner for the clip.
    I am planning on using the rings for the connections from the straps to the hanging ropes.
    I am planning on making a tarp. The Blackcat or something like that.
    For the hammock, I was looking at the design for the HH that is also on this site. The instructions seem very complete for the asym set up.
    I will make some snake skins.
    I am planning just a bug net that drapes over the hammock and is not zippered or velcroed. I have seen designs that use small weights to get a seal. I'll try that first.
    I have a closed foam pad that I will start with. I was thinking of putting a sleeve in the hammock to insert it into.
    Oh and a load bearing ridge line.

That sums it up for my plans. Any suggestions on anything up there?

Someone has been doing a lot of reading!

I would think you could expand the width of your material. Not sure what the weight of the parachute fabric. You might want to think about doing a double bottom hammock if the material is very lightweight. That might also help take the weight off any seams you add.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    All the HAAB hammocks are made with additions to each side (ENO, TrekLight, TTTM, etc). I don't see why that wouldn't work fine.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have added fabric to the sides of a narrow strip and had no problems at all with the design. The hammock failed... but it failed for reasons totally unrelated to the side seams. In fact when the hammock split from a defect in the center of the original fabric the seams held tight.

I would suggest a flat felled seam for joining the pieces.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images

Thanks for the fast response

Yes, I have been reading,,, a ton. This site is the cat's *** too!
    I am going to check the material for weight to verify what the heck I bought. It was very inexpensive, less than a buck a meter. So, no great loss.

Sounds like my thinking was spot on then for adding material to the sides. Thanks for that bit of information.

Quote Originally Posted by doogman4 View Post
    Yes, I have been reading,,, a ton. This site is the cat's *** too!
    I am going to check the material for weight to verify what the heck I bought. It was very inexpensive, less than a buck a meter. So, no great loss.

Sounds like my thinking was spot on then for adding material to the sides. Thanks for that bit of information.
    Mind sharing your source for this material?

Images
    I understand why you would think most of the load is in the middle, but remember that most of us lay diagonally in the hammock to achieve a flatter lay. In fact, the HH clone you are thinking of going for is designed this way.

That said, my ATHH has some extra fabric stitched to it to make it wider. It is triple stitched. I think other hammocks that are doubles are also made this way. However, are you going to get the very same material to add? If not, consider that the two different materials could stretch differently or just feel different, causing potential discomfort.

About the bug net, I would advise against small weights. Have you considered a drawstring channel on each end? Or, get a Thermacell from Wally World, $20 and 8 oz. for a zone of mosquito protection without even needing a bugnet.

It sounds like you have many projects ahead of you. You will be able to find top notch instructions for hammocks, tarps, and other things right here. This saves you probably hundreds of dollars that you can use on your trip! Nice...

Images
    John, here is his link to his ebay store

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/englishseadog__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Images
    Narwhalin,
    Yes I have also seen the drawstring bug nets. That may be a better route to take. Make a tube that you pull up over the nest. I will take that under advisement.

I agree about this site. One stop shopping! Sweet.

Yes the added material will be the same as the main strip. So, no different stretch to worry about.

I was just reading the thread on siliconizing the material. That will be another project too. Not to worry. I am in to DYI. Started making my own hunting clothes this year too. Now the wife has me sewing all her little projects and teaching the kids how to run a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by doogman4 View Post
    Narwhalin,
    Yes I have also seen the drawstring bug nets. That may be a better route to take. Make a tube that you pull up over the nest. I will take that under advisement.

I agree about this site. One stop shopping! Sweet.

Yes the added material will be the same as the main strip. So, no different stretch to worry about.

I was just reading the thread on siliconizing the material. That will be another project too. Not to worry. I am in to DYI. Started making my own hunting clothes this year too. Now the wife has me sewing all her little projects and teaching the kids how to run a machine.
    That's what I need, some kids to help out around here!

Thanks for the link, I sent him a question or 2 about some of his material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast