WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    We started camping early with our kids (as soon as they could walk, really). Started hammock camping with them around the age of 5. They do great at it.

There's always gear considerations, etc. But, the best single piece of advice I received when starting out and that I'll pass on now:

Do lots of backyard campouts. Start by sleeping in the backyard right next to them (in trees, if you're lucky enough - or hammock stands). Then, maybe even come and sleep just inside while they're out in the hammocks. Doing so helps them begin to feel comfortable being outside in the hammock. Once you've done that enough times that they feel used to it, you can graduate to a camping trip.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    When I started my oldest was 5. He wanted all his one gear. He had to have his own hammock and tarp set up. I hung him close to my rig to be there if he needed me during the night but he did fine. He usually sleeps through the night and I don't hear a peep.

Last year was the first time that we took the younger kids out for a camping trip. Our then 2 year old daughter slept in the hammock with mom while the then 5 year old middle kiddo did a bunk bead set up above me.

Best advice it take time to make hammocks a fun thing. Hang them close to you so you can help them or reassure them throughout the night if you need to. But have fun with them, wear them out good during the day and they will sleep great and think it so cool to camp with a hammock.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i've seen a couple people mention now that they hang their kids above them? wouldn't that be more scary, being that high up? i've never done it yet, but my initial thought would be to have them as low as possible.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    i've seen a couple people mention now that they hang their kids above them? wouldn't that be more scary, being that high up? i've never done it yet, but my initial thought would be to have them as low as possible.
    If they fall they land on me. Find that better than the ground. Plus at our house the dogs wouldnt leave you be if you are close enough to them.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    HH
    I started at age 10.

I have two kids they are 12 and 9, but we started camping when the oldest was 6 months old. They both love to hammock camp. I suggest you make sure they know how to work the zipper on the bug net just in case they need to empty their tank at night and make sure they have a flashlight. Also, it's very important to make sure they have enough gear to keep them warm at night. If they are cold every time they sleep in the hammock, they won't want to use them. Finally I would make sure to show them how to set up the hammock. Even if your kidd-o is too young to do it now, if you make sure he/she knows how to set up their own hammock it will pay off in the long run.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    don't know yet
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Check out my thread about how I got my 4 year old and 2 year old in a hammock. They love it!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75544

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

Cool our experience so far.

I have been camping with my daughter for the past 3 years. This year we went camping as a family a couple times and my daughter wanted to hang with me so she did. She also went to a group hang and had a good time hanging out with VisionaryLion's clan of offspring.

We just got in the mail 2 Yukon hammocks with bugnets from Woot.com She and my youngest 3yo are excited to go camping with my grandparents later this month. I thought they would be excited to be in the trailer with my parents but I think they want to be in the hammocks. I hope there are enough trees.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12