Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Attach Heat Sheet to Underpad?

I have been toying with the idea of trimming my heat sheet to fit the underpad of the Hennessy SS, and somehow attaching it, perhaps simply using tape at points around the edge. It would make setup much easier if I didn't have to install the heat sheet separately each time.

Has anyone tried something like this before?
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Some folks, and I have started doing this, roll the heat sheet up with the pad. Unroll the pad, straigthen the heatsheet... done.

I am concerned trimming the heatsheet would leave my shoulders exposed some as I roll around a lot. Also it would mean I could move the heat sheet to un underquilt if wanted to at some point.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

May not want to eliminate other SB uses

When I did my through-hike of the Border route through the Boundary Waters last year I used my heatsheet SB as an emergency poncho. Cut out a hole for my head and draped it over me worked great.

Point being, you may not want to trim it or make it difficult to remove from the OCF pad.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'd be interested in attaching this to the UP as well. I get the arguments against cutting and attaching but am still interested. The big downside of the SS is the hassle of getting things situated. I've remedied that by keeping it all together in a BB Bag, but am worried that the HS or other SB won't stay in place without something to hold it there. What to do?

Hammock
    GT Ultra LIght
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20* Burrow&Phoenix
    Suspension
    Straps w/Whoopies
    I agree, it would be nice to simplify the set-up. I use an inexpensive, light weight, "disposable" mylar emergency (not space) blanket, folded in half, which I'd like to attach to the OCF pad. I wouldn't be concerned about not having it available for other uses since I'd just carry another one (low cost & weight), if I had one dedicated to the OCF pad.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I took two emergency blankets and made a OCF "sandwich." I put my OCF pad between the EB's and duct taped portions of the edges together, leaving open spaces for the head and foot tie-out's and the left side (as I am laying down) tie-out. I left the entire right side open so I can slide the OCF pad in and out. I found this "sandwich" to be very effective, providing a notable dead air space and feeling over a single EB. I left the EB's at full size, and just tuck any extra under the OCF pad. The "sandwich" sits snugly and neatly between the hammock bottom and SS. I also had ZQ remove the velcro and sew closed the opening in the bottom of my HH, so I have a solid sil bottom to the hammock.

I did find some condensation between the hammock bottom and top EB, but I just shook it out and draped it over my hammock prior to packing and it dried out in about 10 min.

Temps on the first experiment were in the low to mid 50"s.

Note: I tied small nite-ize s-biners to the hammock elastic side tie-outs. This makes installing all the various SS and insulation pieces ber easy. I can just unclip the s-biner from the tie-out ring on the hammock, thread the ring through the holes in the SS and loops in the OCF pad and /or an underquilt like a KAQ and then reclip. I don't have to untie the side tie-outs from the stakes, or pull the side tie-out lines through those small openings. Weight addition is minimal, ease of use = significantly increased!

Images
    java, that sounds like it works pretty well. if you wanted to cut some of the excess you can cut it down and then tape it all together with c3 tape. it's a strong permanent bond.

it would also probably work well to join a heetsheet to the ocf pad. the c3 stuff is a double sided tape...like a good glue, but with no mess... good stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    java, that sounds like it works pretty well. if you wanted to cut some of the excess you can cut it down and then tape it all together with c3 tape. it's a strong permanent bond.

it would also probably work well to join a heetsheet to the ocf pad. the c3 stuff is a double sided tape...like a good glue, but with no mess... good stuff.
    Where can a guy pick up some c3 tape? I did some googling but came up empty.

I'm thinking of taping a heat sheet directly to the OCF pad, but would I miss out on the added area of the heat sheet by doing this? Is it important for the HS to cover a larger area than just the pad? If so, maybe the sandwich concept is better? I stuff the whole setup into a BB bag, so my main goal is to keep the HS in place.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbert View Post
    Where can a guy pick up some c3 tape? I did some googling but came up empty.
    Sailrite.com

• + New Posts