DIY Hammock Bed - Advice needed.

Hi,

I'm looking to build a hammock bed to replace my bed in my home.

I have included some photos of the kind of thing I'm aiming to build (see below).

The things I'm thinking about are:

1. Dipping - I don't want to roll into the middle. I think this will be prevented by having many strips of fabric interwoven... The bed in the photo has three strips of fabric going across, and three going from top to bottom, and they are woven above, below, above, etc.
    Would dipping be best prevented by having many separate strips of fabric? i.e. Even more than the one in the photo? If so, how many strips would you advise?

2. Tension - what would be the best way to ensure good/variable tension on each of the individual strips of fabric?

3. Which fabric would be best? It has to be washable and comfortable/breathable, as I will probably be lying directly on it.

4. Comfort - I am wondering whether it's possible to achieve a hammock bed that's comfortable enough to completely get rid of my 'normal' bed. What do you think?

5. Moulding - presumably, fabrics that slip over each other better when stretching in response to the force from above will lead to better moulding around the body? Or is this unlikely to happen because of them being woven in an above, below, above fashion?

Thanks to anyone who shares some of their wisdom

Here are some pictures of the hammock bed that made me think that this project could be possible:

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Considering it's just a a concept you're probably on your own. Have you tried contacting the creators? They would probably be happy to talk to someone about their experience.

No matter what you are probably not going to "get it right" on the first try, but that's part of the fun. If I was brave or foolish enough to attempt it I would probably shoot for a single piece "top layer" so arms and legs don't fall through the cracks. While the "bottom layer" could provide the variable tension you would want near the center and edges. I'm also thinking single piece of fabric or at least put the seam in the center where the bulk of your body weight would be. Many layers would most definitely be needed if you wanted to serve as more than just a place to sleep.

Re-attaching and tensioning after it's been laundered may prove difficult and I have no idea how long it all could be safely used before retiring.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My thoughts:

• Use Polyester, as it stretches less.
    • Have some mechanism to add tension to each fabric panel. (turnbuckles come to mind)
    • Understand the forces at play are huge, so overbuild your stand. (a lot)
    • More panels = more complexity... A Twin size might be easier to build.

From a fabric panel design, if you make a triple sewn end channel that takes something substantial, like a closet pole, you can tie opposite sides together, and then use Mule Tape or even cables with turnbuckles to supply the adjustable tension.

Also, keep in mind that this design requires some insulation, or really hot weather...

John

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

@ octothorpesarus:
    Hi, many thanks for your feedback.

I haven't tried getting in contact with the creators, as I'm assuming that they'd be more interested in selling me one than help me make a better copy. However, I'll contact them if need be.

Yeah, you're right about the arms/legs potentially falling through the cracks. I'll design it so that a king/queen fitted-sheet will go over the external frame. Cheers for that advice.

@ JohnSawyer
    Hi, many thanks for your feedback as well.

The polyester idea seems like a good one - I read on another thread that polyester taffeta is good.

Don't worry, the stand will be sturdy

Triple sewn channels with rods and individual tensioning devices sounds like a good idea. Thanks for that. I'll use that.

Insulation wise, I'm thinking of using sheets and blankets on top, and also covering the box panels so that the air below remains static. Not sure if that will be adequate for below though...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Get some big dogs. Drape the dead space under bed and train them to sleep under there.

Add a dog or take one out until you find the proper comfort range.

Call that thinking out of the dog box.

All kidding aside. Not sure I'd take on the King, but you've got my gears turning on a single or twin. I need to replace my bed. We're in our own house now, but I'm still not sure I want to go tearing into my walls to see what I've got to hang from. This is an option.
    Signature suspended

Haha! Yes! Who needs under-floor heating, when you've got K9-Under-Bed heating!

• + New Posts