Help with WBBB build

Recently a friend an I made basic gathered end hammocks with the help of several posts in the DIY section of this forum. So first of all thanks for all the help so far. Both our hammocks came out great. Mine was made from a single layer of 1.1oz ripstop nylon. 60"x120ish". Coming from a eno single nest this seems very wide. And at 10 3/4 oz including stuff sack and suspension(according to my kitchen scale) it's perfect for ultra light bikepacking.

I was looking at making a WBBB now. I've seen several plans on here and all call for 60"ish wide body and an 8" wide strip to connect the bugnet to the zipper. I'm assuming the main reason for the wide strip is to make up for the narrower roll in which the no-see-um-mesh is typically sold?

My question is: Has anybody tried to just trim the width of the body down about 4" and attach that excess to the bugnet? I think for me it would be plenty wide and save me from buying nearly 4 extra yards of fabric to get that narrow strip?

I could just add a couple of extra yards to my shopping list to construct the shelf/footbox pieces.

I'm just curious if this has been done already. I haven't seen it in my search. I'm just curious if it'll work.

thoughts?

thanks a bunch.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't know how the DIY WBBB attempts turn out, but with an actual WBBB, my left shoulder is right at the zipper. Taking another 4" off the body would move the zipper under my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I don't know how the DIY WBBB attempts turn out, but with an actual WBBB, my left shoulder is right at the zipper. Taking another 4" off the body would move the zipper under my shoulder.
    Good info. Thanks.

• + New Posts