HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Changes for the HH

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    ok cetain..here is the question..( you said ask away..lol)....what if any changes would you make to a HH..for hiking the AT?
    plus what cold weather changes would you suggest..?

The biggest change I would make to the HH is to have a portion of the bugnetting that is velcro-detachable to create a port to the outside that is located where your head is (like on the side). The reason is that I would have preferred to rig my water bottle outside of the hammock and pull only the drinking tube in instead of having the whole bottle hanging from the ridgeline. I personally prefer to keep water totally away from my down and/or sleeping dry camp gear (I used a down sleeping bag, jacket, and underquilt). Even with synthetic gear, I'd prefer this set-up.

Because I LOVE using the carabiners in my suspenion (suspension order is: Tree--tree hugger with ends connected to a load bearing carabiner--HH spectra tied to the carabiner) I'd recommend getting extra long tree huggers, because believe it or not, there were many trees on the AT that were large enough in diameter that the standard tree huggers were too small to completely go around. In that case, I used the tree huggers in the traditional manner minus the carabiners, but the biners speed up the tying up so much, I'd never consider hanging without them if possible.

For cold weather, I don't think it matters what hammock you're using. It's the tarp and the way you pitch it. All I can say over and over again is pitch the tarp corners directly to the ground (no self-tensioning lines). Don't worry if it's not taut or pretty (only time you'd need to worry is if you're in high winds, then I'd recommend finding shelter from the wind which you should do anyway). You absolutely have to stop the airflow under the hammock. So this means, the smaller stock tarps for most people will not be adequate in extremely cold temps, especially if you're a cold sleeper like me. The other thing is filling in any gaps between the bottom of the tarp and the ground with duff (leaves, sticks, twigs, dead rabbits..whatever you can find). Try to hang your hammock so it is perpendicular to the wind (so the wind will be blowing against the tarp, which is blocking it from you.) Just think of sealing yourself up (obviously the head and foot ends are open, but as long as the wind isn't blowing through, it didn't make a big difference. I was comparing my morning temps with Persistent's (Big Agnes Tent user) and there were only a few degrees difference for us, which I actually believe was our thermometers, not our set-ups.

Also, if your tarp ties to the tree seperately from your hammock (I think most do), tie your tarp lines on the tree below the hammock suspension on the tree. The tarp lines will cross the hammock lines, but what this does is lower the tarp height and when you get into your hammock (and the hammock drops lower) it's that much less of an airspace that your body heat has to warm.

In my coldest nights in the Smokies (low teens with wicked wind) I resorted to adding hot water bottles and hand warmers. I'm THE BIGGEST cold weenie on the face of the Earth though, so if I can deal, I'm sure any of you can.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it later. I do want to help anyone that has questions though.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Biner on ridgeline

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Did the biner on your ridgeline come in handy or not so much?

I only disconnected that biner 1 time the entire time I was out there. That was the day I zeroed in the woods due to my foot flaring up. On that day, I was REALLY glad I had that biner, because it was warm and whereas Persistent (Big Agnes Tent user) measured 100 degrees inside her tent that day, I was lounging comfortably on the outside of my HH (I do have a pic of this I'll post here).

There's very little time for lounging on a thru-hike, but, I'd still definitely recommend adding the biner to the ridgeline, because you never know what's going to happen, and having the ability to lounge comfortabley all day is a big deal if you find yourself in that situation.

It was one of the few times Persistent outwardly showed a bit of jealousy (by that time she was already oversaturated with my hammock preaching...hee hee). I was hanging comfie all day, she had the ground and her hot tent to contend with.
    This is my signature.

Images
    Michele,

I'm sorry to hear that your hike had to end, but I'm glad to see that you have such a great attitude about it. We're all very proud of you. I've been following your hike and Hammock Engineer's in anticipation of starting my own in October. Thanks for all your tips and advice along the way.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Michele, have you given any thought to the ring/buckle set-up that is all the
    rave here?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Welcome back Certain. I hope to meet you someday, preferably not in the vicinity of thunderstorms! Will try out your tarp suggestions on my upcoming hike on the Superior Hiking Trail.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Michele, have you given any thought to the ring/buckle set-up that is all the
    rave here?
    Actually I did think about it. I even bought the straps and buckles, but the only sewing machine I had access to couldn't handle going through the webbing, so I shelved the project for a bit. After spending 4 months with my current system, it'll be hard to convince me to change, because it's second nature now. However, I am hoping to see this system at Ed Speer's hangout this September.

I have a question for the buckle/ring hangers though. One reason I love just adding biners to the regular HH suspension is because when it's cold outside, your hands are totally numb and/or it's blowing sleet and freezing rain, your dexterity goes out the window, so the biners make it even easier to tie up. Are you having to thread the strap through the ring/buckle? I know, seems like a petty thing, but there were several evenings in NC/TN it would have been really difficult to do anything that required dexterity. Just wondering.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I can tell you from experience that in 90 degree heat -Dexterity is no problem! Especially when Stoikurt, Funny Money, and Blackie do all the work! Just joking! or am I? Wish you were there doncha?!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post

I have a question for the buckle/ring hangers though. One reason I love just adding biners to the regular HH suspension is because when it's cold outside, your hands are totally numb and/or it's blowing sleet and freezing rain, your dexterity goes out the window, so the biners make it even easier to tie up. Are you having to thread the strap through the ring/buckle? I know, seems like a petty thing, but there were several evenings in NC/TN it would have been really difficult to do anything that required dexterity. Just wondering.
    Once the webbing is threaded thru the rings or the buckles all you have to do is wrap the end of the webbing around the tree and clip the biner (already in a loop at the end of the webbing) back to the webbing and then adjust the tightness of the webbing thru the rings or buckles.

If your webbing is wet and frozen it might be a problem in the rings or buckles. I haven't heard of anyone mentioning that problem yet, though. I'm beginning to sway more towards the buckles than the rings now.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Actually I did think about it. I even bought the straps and buckles, but the only sewing machine I had access to couldn't handle going through the webbing, so I shelved the project for a bit. After spending 4 months with my current system, it'll be hard to convince me to change, because it's second nature now. However, I am hoping to see this system at Ed Speer's hangout this September.

The straps should already be pre-threaded thru the rings or buckles before your hike. Never really have to be undone. Just adjust length at ring/buckle for appropriate tree distance/sag.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 08-20-2007 at 20:53.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Actually I did think about it. I even bought the straps and buckles, but the only sewing machine I had access to couldn't handle going through the webbing, so I shelved the project for a bit.
    one alternative to sewing the loop in the strap for the 'biner is to use a round turn and two half hitches - no need to sew and no 'biner needed - it does however use a bit extra strap especially on the larger trees

Ed Speer's 4 wrap knot is another possibility but it uses even more strap than the round turn and two half hitches

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast