Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images

a new record

this aint much of a trip report, just wanted to say im happy to have joined the sub-freezing club!
    Drewboy and I went out with a couple of tenters to Knoll Lake, on the Mogollon Rim of central Arizona. Our camp was one of the only areas without snow on ground, and was a spot that i found while kayak camping here about 2 yrs ago. The elevation is about 7200'. We had a great time trying to break the ice on the frozen lake to get some fly fishing done. Nope!

so anyway, I used my DIY bridge and my 10x11 tarp with my 2/3 UQ and a narrow (19.5") evazote pad. The 3/8 pad and my UQ did fine at 22° and im quite confident the setup would go down to 17-18° without worry.

22° is likely the lowest I will go until next year, im a desert rat and usually temps around freezing is all i can find.

all in all, it was a great learning experience and i can finally rest easy knowing that my gear works well below what i imagined it would. yippee!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by te-wa; 03-09-2009 at 14:02.

Wow, nice country. AZ is an amazing place, there is so much diversity of terrain in that one state.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Nice pics.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    22 degrees and done with all your DIY gear. That's fantastic. Congrats Mike!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Mike:
    Nice pics and congratulations.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Yay, Knoll Lake on the Mogollon! I camped there before( on the ground), but it's been a good 20 years, I miss that country so bad!

Glad to hear you met your temp needs with ease!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    thanks fellas! who would have thought, that after 4 trips chasing the cold - and every single time it was about ~10° above normal that I'd finally get my chance to test the UQ i made (finally)
    before this trip the coldest I got out was 33 degrees.

also, i only wore a base layer of marmot driclime LW bottoms and a med. weight fleece under my t-shirt. my TQ did great, and the best part of all, the TQ held me toasty warm to 22 while only weighing 15 ounces!

im lovin' it
    and im still beaming.
    thanks to Andrew also for joining me. He's always a great friend and good sport.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hey Mike, I was very glad to come along on this great trip. It was good to finally get some low temps to shake out our gear with. I don't have the DIY skills that Mike has, so I used purchased gear (picture below). My setup consisted of a Warbonnet Blackbird (1.1 single layer with triangular rings and webbing straps and biners), JRB Nest and No Sniveler, a JRB weather shield and JRB 10x11 tarp. That setup kept me warm for most of the night (we estimated a low of 22 degrees). But I did wake up cold in the middle of the night and had to place my Gossamer Gear NightLight pad under me (cold butt syndrome), which kept my torso nice and warm underneath the rest of the night. I was hoping that I might be able to extend the range of my Nest with the Weather Shield alone. I did also experience some cold feet discomfort, even though I wore wool socks and Integral Designs Hot Socks insulated booties. For clothing I wore a light weave merino wool long sleeve hoody and light weave merino wool leggings underneath my hiking pants, along with a Micropuff Vest and JRB down hood. For top side warmth that was plenty, and I think I could have gotten by with less. We were expecting wind gusts up to 30 mph based on the weather predictions, and earlier in the day it was quite windy. However, during the night it was dead calm and we did not have to deal with any of those issues.

It was great to get out in these temps and learn some of the limitations of my gear. I couldn't have pulled it off so well without all the great information that's available in this hanging community.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    thanks fellas! who would have thought, that after 4 trips chasing the cold - and every single time it was about ~10° above normal that I'd finally get my chance to test the UQ i made (finally)
    before this trip the coldest I got out was 33 degrees.

also, i only wore a base layer of marmot driclime LW bottoms and a med. weight fleece under my t-shirt. my TQ did great, and the best part of all, the TQ held me toasty warm to 22 while only weighing 15 ounces!

im lovin' it
    and im still beaming.
    thanks to Andrew also for joining me. He's always a great friend and good sport.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great report on that cold hang there fellers........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I really wish I could have made this trip but unfortunately school comes first and I have a midterm due this week. Man I really wanted to test some modifications to my cold weather setup in some nice lows like that too but ohhh well. Glad you guys had a blast though and stayed warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast