Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

New DIY hammock - Thanks for all the help!

I took my DIY gathered end 11 ft hammock backpacking last weekend and got a chance to try it out on an 18 miler. The DIY Fronkey inspired bug net worked great, although the netting available to me on short notice at hancocks is pretty heavy relative to what is available from other sources. The hammock was meant to be a learning experience and I did learn a few things. 1) a sleeping bag will work but its a really really big pain to get into. 2) a foam pad will work but its a really really big pain trying to stay on it. 3) the big hennesey hex tarp I picked up new on ebay for 52 bucks was well worth it ... a little heavy but an awesome piece of gear for what I paid for it. I had hoped to get to see how well I slept in the hammock but a bear (actually 4 bears) came by my camp site and I slept with one eye open all night. 40 years of backpacking and I've never seen a bear much less been within a few feet of one. Anyhow thanks to everyone who answered questions and gave advice, as it really helped me. I'm not yet convinced the gathered end style is for me (i don't really like the wrapped up feeling although it was tolerable ..maybe I need some adjustments). I may try a DIY bridge style next. When I get a chance I'm going to put a picture of the bear eying my hammock setup ...he was obviously jealous.
    Last edited by litetrek; 07-07-2013 at 22:06.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The bear was just curious, he probably never seen a burrito stand before . Congratulations on what was a learning experience/trip. We still wanna' see the pics!!!

What width is your hammock? Mine is 90 inches, pretty wide. I end up laying almost 90 deg. to the suspension. I sometimes think of trimming some of the width. I was in mine a while back, and a big boar bear came into camp and ignored us and started foraging, in our gear, for food. We evaporated from that place minus a sack of Oreo's and a pack of hot dog buns. It is NOT a stellar event when a bear visits your camp.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    The bears seem to be pretty active in North Ga this Summer. What area were you camping at?
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    My hammock is 60 inches wide. True enough about bears. I really didn't want a bear visit, but I got one. We were camped at the rough ridge camp site on Jack's River in the Cohutta Wilderness. A Forest Service Ranger talked to us earlier in the day at Jack's River Fall's and he told us that there had been a lot of bear visits at the rough ridge and penitentiary trail camp sites . Unfortunately my backpacking buddy was pretty sloppy with his food and he spilled a whole bowl full of chili mac and I expect that's why we got the visit. The one bear that came into our camp went away when we yelled at him and tossed a big stick in his direction. The other three that came by later just admired my hammock set-up from the trail about 50 feet away as they walked by. Wild pigs really give me the creeps. I think that there are plenty of them in the Cohutta wilderness, although I've never seen them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    2ply, do you take that clark hammock of yours backpacking? I saw one at Jack's River last weekend and the guy who owned it told me he really loved it. How does it compare to laying in a gathered end hammock? I don't like the wrapped up feeling in gathered end so is a clark similar or completely different?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Finally ... a picture of my bear visitor and my DIY gear

An eastern black bear checking out my hammock. A beautiful camp site, although I'm too close to the creek for "leave no trace" rules. DIY gathered end hammock and DIY bug net. DIY whoopies. Arrowhead tree straps Hennessy hex tarp. Slept great EXCEPT every ripple in the creek sounded like a bear crossing the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    ...1) a sleeping bag will work but its a really really big pain to get into....
    I've heard the trick is to get in the sleeping bag standing up and then sit down in the hammock.

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    Bears enjoy waterfront property just like that. Now you know where to find them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Good tip about getting into the sleeping bag and then swinging into the hammock. I never thought of that and its a great idea! I put my sleeping pad into the bag so it can't get away from me. Its enough bottom insulation in warmer weather and it works. I tried the pad in the bag trick after my pad slipped away one too many times. Good point about bears and beautiful waterfront sites. They also enjoy the food they can get from campers. my hiking buddy spilled one of our dinners on the ground...chili-mac. Within 10 minutes of spilling he came nosing around.

• + New Posts