DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hanging in the rain

Went out on Sunday to learn how to set-up in the rain. It was also my first time out with a new BB by Warbonnet . I used a OES MacCat Deluxe which I set up first and then proceeded from there. The black bishop bag that came with the BB worked very nicely setting up and taking down. Around Chicago here we have been having some major storms leading to flooding. My wife, of course, thought I was nuts. Well it really started to pore after I finished setting up so I just laid back and read a book. Now things were going quite well. I was staying pretty dry with an occasional spray of mist, then the thunder came. Now the air smelled a little bit like ozone and I was starting to become concerned. When a small break in the thunder came I packed it up and headed out as fast as I could. The ground which is still partially frozen was completely saturated to the point when you took a step it was over your shoes. That's when I knew the only way that you could stay dry aside from sleeping on bare rock was to be in a hammock. The road leading out from which I came was closed due to flooding. So I headed out the other direction ending up at an intersection where a cop closed the road. He sort of gave me a puzzled look, probably wondering where I came from. I was driving a older Honda Civic which has about a 5" ground clearance. Overall it was a good learning experience and I really love my new BB.

Images
    Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry! Nice report!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Heck, a good storm will make me stay in my hammock under a tarp. No sense going and getting my feet all wet.

Where was the occasional mist coming from? Did you have the tarp set fairly open for a view? Or was it coming in the ends? Was it windy? Oh, I've got questions; that tarp on that hammock should have kept you bone dry. I'd prefer to not repeat your experience so let me learn from yours.

The BB does rock though, huh.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It was pouring so hard that the mist was blowing around at times. I have also experienced silnylon mist when hit by big drops. It wasn't bad enough that if the netting was closed I probably wouldn't have felt it. Not sure if the underquilt would have stayed completely dry if I had stayed out all night.

Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings
    Interesting, I bet if you hung the tarp and hammock lower to the ground and brought the sides in closer you would of had better results.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did have the sides out enough to see around me. I'm sure pitching them lower would have helped. I also think that if a tarp is hung close to the hammock and the sides and ends closed off, condensation occurs. When hard rain hits it misting occurs. I've also experienced that in my single wall silnylon tent.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    My wife, of course, thought I was nuts.
    Get used to this...
    Wait till winter comes and you start getting mad because the temp didn't get low enough to make it worth you while to hang outside!
    Your wife, your kids, and your neighbors will ALL think you have lost your mind.
    Great, aint it!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am about 2 hours east and north of Chicago and I can relate to what you are saying. The rain has been unreal. We have had nearly 6 inches since Friday. I see water standing in places I have never seen it stand.

My wife and I decided if we were out and it was like this, we would spend all our time in our hammocks. The only place to be warm and dry. Read lots of books and lots of naps. I am ready for a break of dry, warm or cold.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    I did have the sides out enough to see around me. I'm sure pitching them lower would have helped. I also think that if a tarp is hung close to the hammock and the sides and ends closed off, condensation occurs. When hard rain hits it misting occurs. I've also experienced that in my single wall silnylon tent.
    If you ever get another tarp, you should also consider getting it in Spinntex material. That should solve misting problems from hard rain.

Condensation is just a matter of venting i think? A larger tarp might allow for enough venting while still being closed off enough to stop sneaky rain.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I haven't done good rain testing with my setup yet (wouldn't trust my home-made cheap-o tarp, so that's a good thing) but good to hear your test went well! Maybe it's a good thing you left when you did, because of the car, not the hammock!

I've found that the trick is to get your wife interested in the hammocks, so she goes testing with you! We've both tested our gear in the cold.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast