Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Australian DIY'ers

I too think it's a great idea...
    There are many manufacturers in Asia that are as yet untapped in terms of promotion to this market. In my research I have also found wholesalers who have the contacts/connections to bring in some really great fabrics...
    So, there is potential to market something unique...
    The handbrake for me was always the quantity requirements... Buying a roll is one thing.... Carrying various colours and weights in various fabrics was, for me, more than I wanted to 'bite off'...
    I would certainly support any venture into this arena.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaExp View Post
    I've thought about doing the same thing. I reckon if you get in with bushwalkers and a few other outdoor forums with Aussie diyers you'd be on a winner
    Yes well I just happen to be a member of the bushwalk forum, the sea kayak forum,and the Land Rover Owners forum, plus of course this one .

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Grumpy View Post
    I too think it's a great idea...
    There are many manufacturers in Asia that are as yet untapped in terms of promotion to this market. In my research I have also found wholesalers who have the contacts/connections to bring in some really great fabrics...
    So, there is potential to market something unique...
    The handbrake for me was always the quantity requirements... Buying a roll is one thing.... Carrying various colours and weights in various fabrics was, for me, more than I wanted to 'bite off'...
    I would certainly support any venture into this arena.
    Yeah that is interesting, I have looked briefly into the fabrics as well recently but like you it seemed a tad daunting. I might pick your brains at some stage, if you don't mind sharing.

Initially I will focus on quality Aussie made stuff that suits, and then I may look into other gear from overseas that is not able to be sourced here.

For now I am keen to get my hands on this Hi Spec 3000 rope and get some tests done, should be interesting. It's funny but I can't find anywhere else that sells it in 2.5mm and 3mm.

So I will probably start off stocking the Hi Spec 3000 rope, 25mm webbing rated at 1000kg, and also some shock cord, and rope for guy lines. I want to wait and see what the quality is like first before offering it for sale.

The current webbing I have which I got from Aus Webbing for personal use, looks like very good quality. I made some suspension out of some of it, the rings I had were a tad small, it worked well though. I need to source some larger rated rings/buckles.

I will keep you guys updated.

Let me know though if there are things you would especially like to see offered and I will see what I can do. I have a slightly obsessive personality so this seeking out items works well .

Images

Hi-Spec 3000 has arrived

Hi guys,

The Hi-Spec has arrived. I got in 100m each of the 3mm and 2.5mm in blue.

I made up a couple of whoopie slings tonight out of the 3mm to try out on my hammocks this week. My first impressions of the Hi-Spec as compared to the Ocean 12 is that the Hi-Spec has a much nicer, natural feel and look. It is much more pliable. The Ocean 12 has a much greater plastic feel, it's coating is much thicker it seems which makes it stiffer. I found the Hi-Spec much easier to work with when making the whoopies as well which was nice.

The Hi-Spec has a lower load rating 700kg as compared to 1100kg (3mm), but for hammock suspension purposes 700kg is probably more than enough.

After my hang tests, hopefully I will get out for a camp this weekend rather than the backyard, I will then look to make up a few whoopies and do some break tests to check the rating.

If it all goes well I will order in some of the grey as well.
    Last edited by SimonMc; 08-26-2013 at 07:45. Reason: Add detail

Images

Tier Gear is online

Hi all,

We now have an online store dedicated to DIYers in Australia . I have named it Tier Gear, as we look out onto the Great Western Tiers of Tasmania from our house and they are truly awesome.

It is early days and there are more products to be added obviously but it is a start. I am in discussion with manufacturers and wholesalers trying to source essential items. Our focus will be on sourcing Aussie made stuff but obviously this is not always possible.

I now have a contact for possible sourcing of fabric from China but will have to wait and see how that pans out, and whether I have the capacity to buy what is required.

Anyway I hope it is helpful to you guys. I would be grateful for any feedback good and bad, and certainly suggestions as to what you would like to see in the store.

Exciting times!

Tier Gear
    Last edited by SimonMc; 08-30-2013 at 18:13. Reason: Spelling

Australian DIY'ers

WoW!
    Looking good Mr Ploppy, go you good thing...

Images

Whoopie sling destruction test

I have sent the whoopie sling, continuous loop with a locked brummel, and a soft shackle with a very dodgy looking diamond knot off to be destruction tested.

Will report back how it goes when it is done. They were all made out of the 2.5mm Hi Spec.

Hammock
    hammock bliss soon to upgrade
    Tarp
    silnylon
    Insulation
    preferably none
    Suspension
    twine and stick
    How'd the test go?

Images
    How'd the test go?
    Still to be done apparently. He is going to get to them when he tests his other ropes, hopefully soon.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    If your experimenting with making your own backpack...and adding
    backstays, bendable aluminium in flat or round section is available from
    your local Bunnings. In short 1m lengths or longer.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Images
    How'd the test go?
    Well this didn't take long did it .

The 2.5mm HiSpec3000 rated at 500kg broke at 430kg so 86% of the actual rope strength. This is inline with other documented whoopie sling ratings of 85-90% of the original rope breaking strain.

[IMG][/IMG]

So the 3mm HiSpec3000 which is rated at 700kg would have an estimated breaking strength of 600kg.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345