Images

How do you hang a tarp?

Okay, not your hammock tarp, but when you have the opportunity to bring along a kitchen tarp or general purpose shade/rain tarp. How do you hang it? Pitch it like your hammock tarp, hang it flat, ridgeline? Does it matter if you are hanging it for rain? I never seem to hang it the same way, mainly because of trees or trying to shed most of the water to a particular area for drainage. What rope do you use? I need a dejoha diagram.

Thanks,

swank

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images

How do you hang a tarp?

Flat with a center pole that's just a bit higher and 4 poles on the corners

Or if you have the opportunity to bring a kitchen the get one of those popup shelters. They work great
    Palmetto State Hangers

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Most times I have set up a second tarp its usually set up the same as my hammock tarp only higher and with less slope on the sides.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Okay, not your hammock tarp, but when you have the opportunity to bring along a kitchen tarp or general purpose shade/rain tarp. How do you hang it? Pitch it like your hammock tarp, hang it flat, ridgeline? Does it matter if you are hanging it for rain? I never seem to hang it the same way, mainly because of trees or trying to shed most of the water to a particular area for drainage. What rope do you use? I need a dejoha diagram.

Thanks,

swank
    My hammock tarps have the finest Lash-it ridge lines and Dutchware, plus reflective self-tensioning guy lines and nice Groundhog stakes. They're pitched tight and smooth, and look wonderful, if I do say so.

But my big ol' shade or dining tarp (Noah's Tarp 12) has some kind of cheesy black soft cord and plastic adjusters pre-rigged on just some of the tie-outs. It's almost embarrassing the way I hang that thing: tied up to trees, branches, hiking poles... whatever is somewhat near the right spot. If rain is involved, it usually pools up somewhere and creates a low-hanging reservoir that I'm likely to run my head into. I don't know why I don't take pride in hanging the dining tarp....

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    My hammock tarps have the finest Lash-it ridge lines and Dutchware, plus reflective self-tensioning guy lines and nice Groundhog stakes. They're pitched tight and smooth, and look wonderful, if I do say so.

But my big ol' shade or dining tarp (Noah's Tarp 12) has some kind of cheesy black soft cord and plastic adjusters pre-rigged on just some of the tie-outs. It's almost embarrassing the way I hang that thing: tied up to trees, branches, hiking poles... whatever is somewhat near the right spot. If rain is involved, it usually pools up somewhere and creates a low-hanging reservoir that I'm likely to run my head into. I don't know why I don't take pride in hanging the dining tarp....

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    LOL. So true.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    Well that is kind of the experience I had this past week spending 9 days under one in the rain. Do to many errors in my trip planning, I had to run off to HD to buy one of the dang blue poly tarps and 100' of their crappy nylon rope, they are so freaking noisy, I could not sleep without ear plugs and I was not even hanging underneath it.

I would glance back at my Superfly and then this evacuee poly tarp and shake my head. I just ordered a Equinox 12x16 to replace it, hopefully will be a lot quieter. I purchased 50' of 4mm climbing line from REI for my ridgeline and 100' of their poly utility cord (has a good hand) for the tie outs. I really dont want to have to use poles.

I have a Kelty 16, but it has always been too large to use in most campsites I have used.

swank

Hammock
    Hennessy or WBBB.
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slapstraps, slings
    I have used a ridge line between two trees near my fire pit. If there aren't any, if found Cabela poles (sometimes with ridge pole, too) to work well I have lodge ties along the edge of my tarp, which I tie off on the ridge line (pole). If I can tie the back off on trees, I'll do that, or use another set of staked out poles in the back. We have had six guys with tables and chairs very comfortable in both rain and snow storms in Algonquin Park.

The difference is, I don't drape the tarp over the ridge line.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Usually in the general style of a "Baker's Tent".

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    A small ladder and plenty of extra rope help when car camping without perfectly spaced trees.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts