Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If it's of interest, commercial down sorting vid...link in post #3...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...91#post1050891

If it's of interest, commercial down sorting vid...link in post #3...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...91#post1050891
    Hammonkey, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Hammonkey...become a donating member and you won't have that problem.

Scroll down to "Duvets"...

http://science.discovery.com/tv-show...i-episodes.htm

I guess I'll have to get chip clips and a badminton racquet if I want to do the next down project in a professional manner.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Images
    Hi PipeManMusic, I've been wondering the same thing myself. I thought how nice it would be to use the shopVac to extract down, while using the airflow to sort at the same time. I think as someone mentioned, the biggest challenge would be how much air is produced by a shop vac. I don't simply splitting off the air a couple times would do near enough to slow down the air. I'm assuming you've worked with down and know how incredibly light it is. The design I thought of would be a long tube that is mostly porous to air, such at panty-hose so that after enough distance, perhaps the flow would be low enough to blow only the lightest tufts of down. However, even if this basic idea works, I see two other possible issues. One is that humidity seems to play a real role in the weight of down, so what works in one season or weather situation might not work the next time. Also, as you extract down with a shop vac, the airflow isn't consistent, it ebbs and flows a lot as feathers get sucked in and out. You would have calibrate the setup to blow only on the amount of maximum blowing, otherwise you'll get more of the less quality down or feathers in the collection spot. So a better setup might be to start with a very light fan blowing up a tube, or into box chambers, but this is an extra annoying step.
    I've decided not to attempt this right now, as I see too many unknown variables to justify improving my down by 100-150 fill powers, potentially. But if you try it with any success, I'd love hear about it and perhaps try it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12