ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

How do I lighten my load

There is way too much information on this forum! I thought I would ask for some direct advice based on what I have now as to what I should get or do to lighten my load. Hopefully there are some folks who had what I have now and have upgraded or changed to something lighter and can tell me how it compares.

Here is what I have:

Large Items
    -ENO doublenest with whoopie slings and structural ridgeline. I removed the bag from the hammock to get rid of some bulk and weight. (22oz)
    -ENO guardian bug net. In VA, we have lots of bugs in the summer. And I'm a sissy. (16oz)
    -Kelty Noah's 9 tarp. (23oz *gasp*)
    -AHE Jarbridge Apex 1-season UQ (not sure of weight....but not changing this anytime soon)
    -North Face Mercurial bag - (26oz)

Small Items
    -Tree straps and aluminum toggles from AHE
    -30ft cheap cord from walmart for tarp ridgeline
    -2 lightweight aluminum stakes for tarp tieouts
    -2 little Nite Ize Figure 9's with cords for tarp tieout
    -a few tiny S-biners for the funky way I rig up my tarp.

I can't spend a fortune, so CF tarps are out of the question but I have a Tadpole tarp on my wish list since it comes in way lighter than the kelty.

Any ideas for a lighter hammock and bug net? I need a hammock that can hold 250+. Or....should I just keep what I have?

I was thinking about the HH Asym Zip (41oz for everything) but I'm wondering how it will change the whole experience and if it is as comfortable etc..

Thanks for the advice!

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A double layer WWM and Buginator from Buttinasling will halve your hammock and net weight...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    What sort of pack does all this go into?

Pack

Shelter

Insulation

The big three is where you find the pounds and ounces. It can also be where you drop the most change.

No knowing what pack and how heavy, hopefully 2lb or less, and since you don't plan to change insulation, that leaves us shelter. You already have figured out how to cut the tarp weight penalty, so hammock it is.

Many options but I'll speak directly to the two I have experience with.

GTUL. Cost effective. Showed me what I wanted. Gave it to a niece, who will one day probably cost me a better hammock

BIAS. Cost effective. Looked long and hard to find top notch cottage gear at their price points. 16 oz.Original Weight Weenie owner, and second hammock will be a WWM. They make the Nanobuganator net. Very weight conscious as well.

Goood Luck! Hope that helps.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would go with the Grand Trunk Ultra light hammock (250lb rating). It weighs in at 12 oz with the stock suspension. By changing it out for woopies, you'll get it down to 10 oz. AND IT'S ONLY $20 FROM AMAZON! That will save you 12 oz.

There are a lot of DIY bug net solutions on this forum that weigh in at 3-4 oz. That will save you another 12 oz.

Upgrading to the Tadpole tarp will save you another 10-12 oz.

You can easily knock off 2-3 lbs with minimal cost (not counting the tarp since you were already planning to upgrade that piece).

If you went with a top quilt you could save another 10 oz or so, but that's an expensive upgrade.

Your "Small Items" all seem pretty necessary other than the 30' of cheap Wal-mart cord. I would look into some Amsteel blue or Zing it. It might be a little more expensive, but both of those are miracle tools.

Good luck! Get on youtube and watch a bunch of videos about ultralight backpacking. You'll get tons of ideas from other people. Finding ways to lighten your load is one of the best things about hammock camping!

Hammock
    ENO DN or GTUL
    Tarp
    Tad Pole or Kelty
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm frantically googling a few things I've seen in the responses so far. Thanks!!!

Oddly enough, I have 4 of the Grand Trunk Ultralights in Hawaiian print - I thought they were rated for 220 and I have also heard that they would split down the middle if the material got a little tear. I got them for the kids but have been thinking about using one for me. I even have one rigged up with whoopies and a ridgeline

A top quilt is on my list. Expensive for sure but I'll do it soon. It's overwhelming to try and figure out where to get one, there are so many options. I'd love some advice, otherwise I'll probably just go with one from AHE, they have been pretty good to me.

As far packing, this either goes backpacking with me or goes in the saddle bag on my bike (Revelate Viscacha) in which case bulk AND weight are very important because I have some hard limits on what I can carry.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    looks like you already got some good suggestions.

i intend on picking up the warbonnet bugnet, at about 8oz. half of your current one.
    also, the tarp, yeah. there are some good choices, depending on how much coverage you like. the warbonnet edge and AHE shangri-la both seem nice and come in at 11oz.

i don't have it all in place yet, but using my existing 32oz sleeping bag and 18 oz CCF pad, i have my whole setup coming in at around 93oz. (hammock, webbing, TQ, UQ, tarp, bugnet). this is pretty comparable to the tarptent setup i was planning on getting before i decided to switch to hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    If you're going to buy a TQ, I highly reccomend hammock gear, their quilts and customer service are top notch, and the new argon fabric is wonderful. If you have time and can sew, or know someone who can, you can have a down TQ for around $100 or less. Something to think about.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Underquilts.com

You answer and supplier of UQ shells. All ready for stuffing with the down you choose to use. Just a few stitches to close the baffles, then inject one side closed with a channel for shock cord.

Also now offering Top Quilt shells for the so inclined.

Great price points, and perfect introduction into DIY. See how it's done for yourself. Save some coin and learn to make something.

What do you make?

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and the poly tarp that comes with it. Weighs little over 4.5 lbs for hammock, tarp, suspension, tent stakes and guy lines.

Looked around for some light weight and UL hammocks and the cost was pretty high so I am now in the process of DIYing myself several hammocks for different seasons. My Summer hammock and suspension will end up being less than 12oz when I am done. The DIY silnylon tarp will probably another 12-14oz..Won't be sure until I am done with it, but at least I will have shaved off a good 2lbs.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Underquilts.com

You answer and supplier of UQ shells. All ready for stuffing with the down you choose to use. Just a few stitches to close the baffles, then inject one side closed with a channel for shock cord.

Also now offering Top Quilt shells for the so inclined.

Great price points, and perfect introduction into DIY. See how it's done for yourself. Save some coin and learn to make something.

What do you make?

Rolloff
    Where can one buy down?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast