WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Need ridge line length for HH Expedition and Survivor

I'm working on a project where I need to know the ridge line length of the HH Expedition and Survivor. I check HH's website and have sent them email. I'm sure I'll hear back. But right now I'm stalled out. If someone has one or both of the ridge line lengths, please let me know.

I suppose I could assume - what is that percentage, 83? - a percentage of the total hammock length, but as both the Expedition and Survivor already have a fixed RL, there is no reason to guess.

Thank you,
    Paul

Images
    As far as I know, the listed length of HHs is actually the RL length. So, the length of an Expedition is not actually 100", or a very short 8.3 ft, but that is actually the RL length.

It is for sure that the Explorer UL which I have is longer than the 108"(9 ft) listed, which again I'm pretty sure is the length I have measured for the RL.

But here is one I am certain about: the listed 112"(9.3 ft) listed for the Safari is preposterous, as it is one of the longest hammocks out there, and is MUCH longer than the 108" Explorer. Hence the fact that since the RL is only 4" longer than the Explorer, it has WAY more sag. To the point that when I sit in my Explorer UL, the RL hits me behind my neck, but when I sit in my Safari, the RL is way above my head. This is because the Safari, rather than being 4" longer than the Explorer- as the specs indicate- is more like one or 2 ft longer.

But that does not help you, does it? Because now you know the length of the RL, but you do not know the length of the hammock. I have measured all of them ( except Expedition) in the past, but I don't remember and can not find the results. Don't have an Expedition to measure anyway.

But someone else here surely does! Maybe they will measure it for you.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you BillyBob58,
    I'll call HH today. I posted late yesterday hoping I'd get a quick answer. I'm not doing anything too complicated - just using that online hammock calculator to make a table of hang heights vs tree distances. I just give the calculator the ridge line I want and the hang angle, then I increment the tree distance and record the resulting hang height and suspension length.

There's a app for a smart phone but I don't own one, so I'm doing the work at home.

It is useful because I can see limited. For example, I can only reach about 78 inches so there is no use recording higher hang heights which puts a limit on useful tree distance.

I'll make a table for each hammock, then laminate it and attach it to the rigging or hammock carry bag.

I'm sure after a while, if I stick to one hammock, my eyes will become a better judge or tree distances and corresponding hang heights - so this is sort of "training wheels" to get started.

It is not my first hang, but I've never experienced the ridge line cord anything but guitar string tight so I may not be giving the sleeping experience it's best shot- with the sag it was intended to have.

Thanks again for your reply,
    Paul

• + New Posts