Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps

Replacing My Bed (Need Help)

Introduction
    I have bought a hammock to replace my bed. I have done a lot of research on this forum and online and have chosen wisely (I think). I know that all this information is on the forum somewhere but I'd like it all in one post so that I can easily find it. So without further ado...

Personnel Sepcs.
    6'2" at about 170 lbs
    Only preference is that I would like to hang around 24" or higher off the ground.

The Hammock
    http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/xlbraz...richammock.cfm
    According to the specs it is 14' 11" overall length.

The Room
    Approximately 10' by 12' with 16' on the diagonal, corner to corner. The ceiling is 8 foot high.

The Questions
    1. Should I hang on the 12' wall with a lot of sag and up at the top or should I go on the diagonal, lower and less sag or somewhere in between?
    2. What would the optimal distance between points and the optimal height to hang this hammock?
    3. Can I use the hammock calculator to help with this? I typed the information in and it says I can hang it 73" at 13 foot with only .06" of suspension length at a 30 degree angle, is this correct? If so I can hook directly into the hardware on the wall right?
    4. Should the angle be steeper at 45 degrees and use the adjusted measurements from the calculator?
    5. What hardware should I use to attach this hammock to the wall studs (straps, S hooks, biners, etc.)?
    6. Should I add a ridge line to this hammock? If so why? Can I use the recommended 155" from the Hammock Calculator?
    7. What kind of maintenance and care does this hammock require and how often should it be cleaned?
    8. In the winter my thermostat is set around 65 to 70, if I find I get CBS at this temperature should I use some sort of under quilt or will just a top quilt work?

That's all the questions I have for now. After the hammock is delivered I may have a few others and will update the list of questions as necessary.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by lesspayne; 07-09-2013 at 19:36. Reason: Added Questions

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I'm heading for bed or I'd take on some of your questions. One thought I had with a smile is the fun you're going to have learning the answers to your questions!

I'd go for eyebolts as far apart as you can, and use the hang calculator to help you determine how high for least strain on the walls and ending up with the 24" you want (that's what I did for my intended hammock, no regrets).

I bought some nylon and poly batting and made my own synthetic underquilt for indoors when the house gets cold at night. Don't need it now but it was toasty in winter.

Well, have fun learning, there's so much to try and consider that you'll have a good time just getting there. It's the journey, not the destination!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I have this hammock.. I am on the diagonal in my room at 15ft. right at 6ft. high... Ift. on each end of suspension.... Very comfortable.. This hammock is pretty warm, but ended up putting my hudson river quilt on it, works perfectly.. Sorry I can't answer more.. Goin to bed....Good luck and enjoy..
    btw... This hammock will stretch some at first.. settles in quickly though.... Hammock is calling me..........See ya!!
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Well, have fun learning, there's so much to try and consider that you'll have a good time just getting there. It's the journey, not the destination!
    Well Said! What would you use to attach the hammock to the eyebolts? This hammock has fabric loops and I want it to last for a while.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    I have this hammock.. I am on the diagonal in my room at 15ft. right at 6ft. high... Ift. on each end of suspension.... Very comfortable.. This hammock is pretty warm, but ended up putting my hudson river quilt on it, works perfectly.. Sorry I can't answer more.. Goin to bed....Good luck and enjoy..
    btw... This hammock will stretch some at first.. settles in quickly though.... Hammock is calling me..........See ya!!
    What do you use to attach your hammock to the hardware in your walls? What angle is your hammock hung at?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Got questions... need answers

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Used seat belt loop sandwiched in aluminum plates I made.. Lagged directly into studs.. Been a couple years.. Has not budged..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    I could just Larkhead a strap through the loop instead of the aluminum plate (not sure if I can fins some)

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon tarp
    Insulation
    JCP Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    straps and static
    Interesting, I've never considered actually using a hammock for a normal sleeping arrangement instead of a traditional bed. Been so used to sleeping in a bed in a "Bedroom", that it never dawned on me that you could certainly hang a hammock in the room and get rid of the bed altogether. (I think I just felt my head explode!) I could see the pros at converting over... I'm sure the wife would never go for it but, one can always imagine the possibilities.
    It's not the glide in the ride, it's the swing in the sling...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincebus View Post
    I'm sure the wife would never go for it but, one can always imagine the possibilities.
    The trick, in my experience, is to get her hooked on hammocks outside first. Genuine Draft was an easy sell. The first time she laid in one of my hammocks that I had strung next to the house during a garage sale, she woke up about 2 hours later. Got her!

Then, I took her for a 400+ mile walk up the east coast, sleeping in a hammock every night. She went home while we were in Virginia and spent the next couple of months sleeping on a mattress again.

When I got done with my walk and she moved out to live with me in Colorado, a hammock to sleep in was just a given. In fact, she called me from the road the night before she got to town to make sure I had a hammock setup for her.

I got lucky and found me a good woman, other than her taste in men anyway.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast