DIY gathered end tablecloth
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix 20
    Suspension
    Ready Straps

Janome 2212

Anyone have any experience with this machine? I was searching online and amazon had it listed as its best rated machine. I've never sewn before, and right now im just looking to hem nylon and also looking at making some custom bag liner / sheets out of wicking fabrics for summer camping and of course a tarp system. Not sure what else I might try to dabble with, but I would of course like to be able to sew loops onto 1" webbing.

Anyhow, with the price and the amazon reviews it seems like a good buy to me, but I thought I might see if I couldn't get any input from you guys n gals.

Billy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/arts-crafts/12899461

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-2212-Se..._tr_12899461_1

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.1
    Insulation
    UGQ zeppelin 20*F
    Janome is a reputable brand and at the Amazon price point you can't go wrong ! Looks like it would do everything you want it to - overall a good little machine. I upgraded to a Janome quilter's choice series a few years ago and never regretted my decision. ( my piggy bank squealed a little at the time ....but in hind sight it was a good investment!). Good luck with your projects.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Do you have a local sewing shop that does repairs? Often you can get a reliable older machine from them for a good price and they will offer a warranty and even free lessons. Don't be afraid of buying a used machine as people here will tell you that they tend to be better made and will last longer than newer machines.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-10-2013 at 05:50.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix 20
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Janome is a reputable brand and at the Amazon price point you can't go wrong ! Looks like it would do everything you want it to - overall a good little machine. I upgraded to a Janome quilter's choice series a few years ago and never regretted my decision. ( my piggy bank squealed a little at the time ....but in hind sight it was a good investment!). Good luck with your projects.
    Thank you for the input! Definitely what I wanted to hear. I would be so bummed out if I got a machine and found out I couldn't do something I wanted to do with it! =P

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Do you have a local sewing shop that does repairs? Often you can get a reliable older machine from them for a good price and they will offer a warranty and even free lessons. Don't be afraid of buying a used machine as people here will tell you that they tend to be better made and will last longer than newer machines.
    Well I live in a pretty small country town of population 17,000. And I think the only reason that number is so high is because we have a university here. That being said there is only one place I know of called the Flying Needle, but I don't think they sell machines. I'll probably stop in this week and have a look. It would be great if I could snag a few free lessons with a machine!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    At 16 pounds I would expect to have to chase that thing all over the table. Janome is a very reputable maker... but like everyone else nowadays they are producing an "entry" line which means they sacrifice their quality for cheap. Probably poor quality gears and cheap plastic housings. IMO Amazon ratings aren't worth a tinker's fig. I would not want to do webbing and multiple layers for hours at a time.

That said... it is a mechanical machine and it is not overloaded with useless bling.

It sounds to me like a bit of a crap shoot. If you want a cheap "disposable" machine to play with now and then you might be fine. If you want a work horse that will do your bidding when you learn the ropes and develop your skill level I think you would leave this machine in the dirt in a fairly short period of time.

Check my "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others seem to have found it helpful. Ask around your female freinds and relatives of a certain age. Dollars to donuts someone has a machine in their closet, attic or basement that you could acquire that might serve you better. Sorry to rain on your parade. But you asked.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix 20
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade. But you asked.
    I would much rather the rain now before I blew the money!!! I'll check out those links. Thank you =)

• + New Posts