Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How small can a tarp be and still keep you dry?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I want to get the smallest (bulk when packed) tarp I can get to fit a nano 7.

Keep in mind less expensive is better..
    BMWRider, are you going to be packing the tarp on a motorcycle? If so,

For packability on a motorcycle, my favorite so far is arrow-head equipment's Shangri La Tarp. The ends of the tarp can be hung at different heights to make different levels of comfort (rain/warmth) while keeping entry and exit at a comfortable level.

If your pack bag is waterproof or even a garbage bag, that can extend the coverage inward. Similarly if you have waterproof ride gear (e.g., Klim, aerostich) you can hang that at the other end to act as a door.

A weather-shield that goes under the tarp helps for splash and fog (such as often found in the blue-ridge and other common ride areas). The weather shield extends your warmth so one can go with a smaller quilt. It also serves as a ground cloth when we need to go to ground (e.g. the iron butt motel). Depending on the bike, it also can be used as a bike cover at a hotel.

However, doors on at least one end of the tarp are super nice to have. And if a rider is transitioning from tent camping (as opposed to those transitioning from cowboy or bivy camping) he/she may find a full coverage tarp with doors a great way to go. Especially if ride gear is not waterproof or will get soaked/muddied from riding backcountry.

As far as costs go, an excellent Silnylon tarp will cost less than a front tire, and an excellent full coverage tarp will be about as much as a back tire. Of course, the tarp will last much longer. Or at least it should.
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    The plan was to make a small light tarp for light trips

Images
    Long long ago i was caught in a bad storm using a small diamond fly and got wet enough we had to retreat the next morning. The moisture was almost like a fog/drizzle mix, it was so small and light that it was coming down at a like a 40 deg angle (or possibly even more horizontal that that), it went on like that all night and the hammock got soaked which seeped through and soaked my sleeping bag. It was coming in at such a flat angle i don't think there was any way i could have pitched that tarp to protect the bottom half of the hammock from getting wet. In certain severe conditions i think a tarp that size can without a doubt be inadequate, those conditions mainly being sideways moisture which is uncommon but not unheard of

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I did just about the opposite of Cannibal and Hawk-eye: I started with the (enormous!) Hennessy Hex tarp and moved to a postage-sized tarp for the weight savings. Now, I'd learned a bit about site selection with the Hex, and I learned more with the DIY asym I have now.

However, the biggest thing I found was to use my poncho as a weather shield on the bottom of the hammock. With that combination, I stayed dry for 11+ of 14 hours in my hammock last year during the edges of a tropical storm (I was in my front yard, so that if something went wrong, I'd have a place ~20 ft away to bail to). Winds were between 10 and 30 MPH, and swirling. Approximately 4" of rain dropped during that period. The only way I finally got wet was via water intrusion via capillary action through the whipping knobs of my hammock (the tiny tarp ends had slid off of the knobs; this was later fixed with Black Wolf's suggestion of plastic S-biners to hold the suspensions in line). None of it came from underneath.

So, for me, the minimum tarp I'm willing to bring is DIY Gear Supply's asym tarp combined with a poncho/undercover. Total weight for the system, including guylines and suspension kit? 16.7 oz. And it doubles as my rain gear/pack cover/emergency go-to-ground bivy kit.

Total cost for it, if using sil 2nds, would come in at ~$65, including shipping. That's a tarp and rain gear for ~$65.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    FLRider always has great suggestions.

Here is some fabric 72" wide that might make a good light weight asym with a little more coverage. Might have to treat it yourself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400278777749...84.m1423.l2649

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Loaded question, too many variables....where, when, how do you camp? Do you need rain, wind, snow protection or just protection from Dew? My thoughts are carry as much tarp as I can justify, not the least amount. Nothing ruins a trip like a wet hammock and quilts. In the wrong conditions it can be life threatening. I find myself carrying the Superfly in many situations where my Tadpole would have been adequate, but there is a peace of mind factor as well as an Oh S*** factor for a cpl ounces.

For the least amount of tarp, I would imagine it would look like one of those police outlines of a body laying on the floor, but suspended above you in Cuben Fiber, not quite enough coverage for me...
    I plan to only take this when I don't use a tarp, on summer overnight trips when rain is not in the forecast in case it does rain.
    We do some minimalist trips for fun.
    Last edited by bmwrider; 07-14-2013 at 13:59.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Long long ago i was caught in a bad storm using a small diamond fly and got wet enough we had to retreat the next morning. The moisture was almost like a fog/drizzle mix, it was so small and light that it was coming down at a like a 40 deg angle (or possibly even more horizontal that that), it went on like that all night and the hammock got soaked which seeped through and soaked my sleeping bag. It was coming in at such a flat angle i don't think there was any way i could have pitched that tarp to protect the bottom half of the hammock from getting wet. In certain severe conditions i think a tarp that size can without a doubt be inadequate, those conditions mainly being sideways moisture which is uncommon but not unheard of
    this is for low millage overnight trips an hr. from home, when ending a trip is no big deal to the group, we often take these little trips with minimum gear just for the sake of going minimalist.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    FLRider always has great suggestions.

Here is some fabric 72" wide that might make a good light weight asym with a little more coverage. Might have to treat it yourself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400278777749...84.m1423.l2649

Thank you, that helps, I have very little experience with the DiY stuff but I plan to learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    So far the combination of the size the tarp, the amount of rain, the wind, and of course how it's rigged all come into play. I've managed to stay dry under a stock hennessy and also got wet under my monster 4-season OES (ridgeline leak). The worst storm I've ever been in was weathered under my OES MacCat Deluxe (in-between size) but I saw the bad weather coming and rigged everything really well. Had I gone to sleep with the lines loose or in "porch mode" I would have been hopping around in the rain at 3am trying to fix everything.

The other thing is that "wet" to me is kind of relative. In the heat of summer getting a bit damp in a downpour might be nice, in late fall or early spring it could end in hypothermia. So, you can stay dry with a small tarp with a bit of planning and preparation. Hope for the best, plan for the worst...

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    I just got back from a four day trip and two of the days and nights we had rain and wind
    And you couldn't give me anything for my ENO Pro-Fly Tarp
    Stayed nice and dry durning the rainy days IMHO
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast