Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly

Nother Noob Question

I have ordered the WBBB with Superfly tarp... The wait begins on it's arrival. WB was out of a couple of items, and I'm really not sure what to purchase after visiting a few other "supply" sites. Would appreciate a bit of guidance / wisdom.

What I purchased:

1 WBBB 1.7 Double Layer
    1 Superfly Tarp
    2 Carabiners
    12 Y Stakes

I will be using the hammock for an extended period this fall, as I will be spending a month in the field with my Army unit. So...

I know I need guy line and shock cord? I know I've seen shock cord in various sizes. Any thoughts there? And does guy line come in different sizes, or is it a "one-size" sort of roll? Also, do I need anything to go with the shock cord / guy line (stops, locks, etc...)?

Finally, as I've never set up a tarp before, will I need anything (or want any special mods) for it before moving in for a month?

I appreciate your help, as my mid-40's body just doesn't accept ground sleeping like it used to. :-)

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    As far as guy lines go, I just use stout string with a piece of shock cord on the end that hooks on my stake. In 2-3 years of moderate use the wind is yet to rip a stake out on me. I highly suggest msr line tensioners. They weigh nothing and work GREAT!http://www.rei.com/product/829842/ms...sioners-4-pack

As far as hanging the tarp. Some people use a separate ridge line, but I have a line on each end of the peak that goes around each tree and then I use figure 9's to tension them. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    If you are going to use the continuous ridgeline with the Superfly you have to go over the ridge seam, if you go under the ridge seam, the cat curve of the ridge seam will be in the way.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Why 12 stakes?

I think you'll want two stakes for the Blackbird (the shock cord for this is included with the BB), plus six stakes for the Superfly? Am I leaving something out? The hammock and tarp set-up videos on Warbonnett.com show how this works, and suggest how many and how long the tarp lines you'll need.

You can maybe tack on 100' of zing-it for guy lines to your WB order, or spend more and have Dutch make up some with tarp flies and attached loops, cut to length. [MSR's tensioners are a less expensive alternative.]

If its cold in the fall where you are, you might want an underquilt; if not that cold, you may still want a pad between the double layers. Some people might want snake skins for the tarp, a scrap of tyvek for a ground cloth to set your stuff on, and maybe glow-in-the-dark doohickeys for your BB's zippers (MSR makes these).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The OP probably got 12 stakes because there are 12 tie outs-8 on the edges and 4 side pull outs and maybe he is going to use 1 stake for each side pull out so there will be 2 for the hammock. Just guessing.

Of course you don't need that many but they're good to have during at first.

Zing-it/Lash-it is very popular for tarps. It is very light weight, low stretch, strong and spliceable.

As mention, you're going to want some kind of top and bottom insulation. There is a fair amount of convective heat loss and you couldn get chilled even in warmer weather. At first, a pad slid in between the layers works fine but for real comfort, an underquilt is a must IMO. For top insulation, a sleeping bag unzipped will work but an top quilts uses less material and is therefore lighter and less bulky.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The OP probably got 12 stakes because there are 12 tie outs-8 on the edges and 4 side pull outs and maybe he is going to use 1 stake for each side pull out so there will be 2 for the hammock. Just guessing.
    Exactly on why 12 stakes. At $1.25, I figured it couldn't hurt to have one for each spot... and I didn't want to look too stupid by not having one for each spot.

Guess I got it half right.

• + New Posts