WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps

Suggestions on an under quilt for a bridge hammock

I recently bought a Lawson hammock. I was going to go with a Yoga mat until I felt how heavy they are. So I guess I'm going to go the under quilt route.

The lowest over night temp I'll encounter is 40° F. I'd like to find something that is economical. Can I get some recommendations to help me get going in the right direction.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    Hammockgear.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    what dh hangs4me!
    Insulation
    ISO lynx
    Suspension
    whoopies
    From what I've read, it's ideal to get one made for a bridge. Check out The Ridge Creek for synthetic, 3/4 length, 3-season or The Lynx for down, full or 3/4 length, 3-season or winter. I have a WBRR but have yet to invest in an UQ so I can't speak from actual experience, but those are the two I have narrowed my choice down to. I have read that just about any will fit onto a bridge, but the non-bridge specific ones might rise up higher around the edges of the hammock.
    Every experience God gives us,
    every person He puts in our lives,
    is the perfect preparation
    for the future that only He can see.
    -Corrie Ten Boom

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I didn't know about getting one made specifically for a bridge hammock. Does anyone have any recommendations on bridge hammock under quilts I can look up?

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

You can use any uq on a bridge hammock. It is just that you don't need as wide of an uq in a bridge hammock as you would in a gathered end. MOST under quilts are something like 50+" where as for a bridge it might be something like 42ish". The two listed above you can look up. The Lynx is from Warbonettoutdoors.com. I am not sure where the other is from. It just means you can save some extra weight by having a narrower UQ. Hope this helps.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Images
    I don't know about the Lawson, but using my JRB MW UQs on several different types of bridges, the width is sometimes well appreciated. It's true that, when I am on my back, the sides of the UQ come up "excessively" high and are some what of a waste. I often feel as though I could get by with a much more narrow UQ, and probably could.

However, often when using various UQs with a non-bridge and laying diagonal, it is often a hassle to keep my left shoulder covered. There is a tendency for the quilt to slip of my shoulder, and/or go too much towards my head or to much the other way, all resulting in a poor fit, lack of coverage, drafts and cold spots. It is not unworkable but must be dealt with using various tricks.

But there is no hint of any of this using my wider UQs in any of my bridge hammocks. Though I suspect it would also not be a problem with more narrow UQs, just because all of this UQ business just seems to work better and easier with a bridge. Still, I like having a nice overlap between where my shoulder is covered by the TQ and where the UQ come up and above the TQ.

But far and away the biggest reason I like a "too" wide UQ curving up even above the sides of the hammock is because it works great when I am on my side. Especially in my JRBs, I like to get partly on my side and lean back into the side of the hammock, which supports me real well. With the TQ wrapped around and tucked covering my back, the loft is now flattened against the side of the hammock rather than the bottom. When I sleep this way, that wide quilt coming up and over the side of the hammock keeps my back warm.

But bottom line is, just about any quilt will probably work great on most any bridge hammock. For me the ease of using UQs ( and/or a pad) with bridge hammocks is one of their biggest positives.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I emailed Lawson yesterday and the owner got back to me with some recommendations.

www.jacksrbetter.com
    www.warbonnetoutdoors.com
    www.hammockquilts.com
    www.hammockgear.com

So, I will start checking these out.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    what dh hangs4me!
    Insulation
    ISO lynx
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

But far and away the biggest reason I like a "too" wide UQ curving up even above the sides of the hammock is because it works great when I am on my side. Especially in my JRBs, I like to get partly on my side and lean back into the side of the hammock, which supports me real well. With the TQ wrapped around and tucked covering my back, the loft is now flattened against the side of the hammock rather than the bottom. When I sleep this way, that wide quilt coming up and over the side of the hammock keeps my back warm.

Oh... great point! I haven't yet done an overnight in the RR (will be in a few weeks tho!) so I don't know, but at home I am a side-sleeper, so that would be nice!

p.s. I linked the websites within the post above. The Ridge Creek is from Arrowhead Equipment (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html) and the Lynx from Warbonnet (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php)
    Every experience God gives us,
    every person He puts in our lives,
    is the perfect preparation
    for the future that only He can see.
    -Corrie Ten Boom

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl View Post
    Oh... great point! I haven't yet done an overnight in the RR (will be in a few weeks tho!) so I don't know, but at home I am a side-sleeper, so that would be nice!

p.s. I linked the websites within the post above. The Ridge Creek is from Arrowhead Equipment (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html) and the Lynx from Warbonnet (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php)
    I checked with Paul at Arrowhead and he suggested the Jarbidge River. Plus you can't beat the price! Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Last edited by Brien; 07-11-2013 at 17:46.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps

Ok, so I got my AHE Jarbidge River under quilt last week. BTW, I got it in less than a week after I ordered it. Last night was my first night trying it out. I was comfortably warm even though the low only got down to 63 degrees. Surprisingly if fit fairly well on my Lawson. Here are the pics.

Before shots of the underside

There is an elastic cord at the top and bottom of the UQ. I ran the UQ between the cord and cross bar.

You can see the elastic cord over the top. It fit snug, but not binding anything.

• + New Posts