Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Hanging from non-ripstop nylon..

I picked up some non ripstop 100% nylon a while ago.. and I'm wondering.. is it suitable to hang from? I know the calendered effect of ripstop really does nothing to stop it from ripping under the load of a person if there's a failure. But idk if it affects the overall load bearing capacity of the fabric.

It weighs, by my best figuring between 1.5-1.6 oz / yd2..

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    The ripstop grid is really nice, but it's not truly going to stop a rip with a person's full body weight on it. It stops rips from continuing in things like clothing through normal use, but with a person's full weight on it - those thicker threads are simply not tough enough.

Many, if not most, commercial hammocks are not made with ripstop. You should be good to go with what you've got - just live by the Hammock creedo... Never Hang Higher Than You're Willing To Fall!

1.5/1.6oz fabric, if it's a normal Taffeta style weave is usually a 40x40 or 40x70 denier fabric.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    1.5/1.6oz fabric, if it's a normal Taffeta style weave is usually a 40x40 or 40x70 denier fabric.
    I'm more then willing to drop a piece of it in the mail, if you'd be willing to take a look at it. I truly am fabric illiterate, and honestly, the only other nylon I've ever bought has either been from you, or Joannes.

I honestly bought this material for IX quilts and to try my hand at making my own sil... but with those projects done, I still have 30 yards of this stuff laying around.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    At that fabric weight I'd have no problem with making a hammock out of it. I think the ripstop thing is more of a perceived security than an actual security. JMO
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Thats my feeling too.. I figure either way, I'm going to make a DL hammock out of it, because I have the material, the weight doesn't bother me, and because hanging in a 2x4 PHS meaning falling from any distance would reallt hurt.. nothing like a 2x4 in the back

tensile strength of fabric

There are several variables that affect tensile strength of fabric that may not be easily visible. High Tenacity yarn or fiber will increase tensile strength as do plied yarns. Also, another way to increase tensile strength is to weave more threads per inch. Thus a highly constructed ripstop can be 200 threads per inch
    (100 each in the warp and fill). Generally fabrics that are produced for the military or commercial applications are of better quality and are stronger than apparel fabrics.
    Larry
    Magna Fabrics

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaFabrics View Post
    There are several variables that affect tensile strength of fabric that may not be easily visible. High Tenacity yarn or fiber will increase tensile strength as do plied yarns. Also, another way to increase tensile strength is to weave more threads per inch. Thus a highly constructed ripstop can be 200 threads per inch
    (100 each in the warp and fill). Generally fabrics that are produced for the military or commercial applications are of better quality and are stronger than apparel fabrics.
    Larry
    Magna Fabrics
    Another thing that is not easy to tell by eye is the denier rating of the threads. While 30D is usually 1.1 oz/sqyd it is not an absolute. Deneir and weight are only tangentially related. Deneir is a measure of the size of the thread used in weave. So weave density plays a big part in the weight. As noted above, the density is a major factor in the strength of the fabric. As the old Sesame Street song goes... "You got to know math."
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I'm more then willing to drop a piece of it in the mail, if you'd be willing to take a look at it. I truly am fabric illiterate, and honestly, the only other nylon I've ever bought has either been from you, or Joannes.

I honestly bought this material for IX quilts and to try my hand at making my own sil... but with those projects done, I still have 30 yards of this stuff laying around.
    I'd be glad to take a look. If you have my address already, just toss a piece in the mail with note. If not, email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

We're out of IX now, if you don't already have it for quilts, but another 325yds is on the way.

Thanks,
    Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts