Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    OK, so far six steaks.....Can anyone carry some charcoal? I don't think Poof can carry it all. Also anyone have a grill that can pack small for inside a kayak hatch? I've got the Ti Box grill but it can only cook 2 at best at a time.
    Also, second night we are thinking of grilling brats...I'll need the fat in them to stay warm, plus they keep really well.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Ragnall, once I was paddling out to Cape Romain Lighthouse and didn't time the tide right, for 1 hour paddled as hard as I could just to stay in place and not get swept out....I had to pee so bad and couldn't get out of the boat. What is a man to do?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Cakes I was coming back from Ripshin and saw the shine a mile away!
    Looks like most got new boats for this trip, sweet. I'll slum with my ancient
    Cetus...it just had its skeg control box replaced by the guys at Pyranna (sp?), seems I'd worn it out but they did the glass work for free and its now smooth as butter.

OK some theory for you all to think about. A heavier boat is a faster boat. Now explain that!
    A fresh muffin on the trip for who ever gets the right answer.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes I'm familiar with p=mv.....that would explain why a heavy kayak or train can move a ton of freight 400 miles on a gallon of fuel BUT it doesnt explain why it can be faster than a lighter kayak. It does explain why it keeps moving longer when you stop paddling though

Next answer please.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Tracking and lateral resistance.

How well a kayak tracks is largely governed by the length of its waterline. A longer waterline generates greater lateral friction which in turn yields better tracking performance and converts more of the energy in your stroke into straight-forward motion.
    When you add weight to a kayak, the kayak settles increasingly deeper into the water. Lateral friction increases and its waterline grows (how much it grows depends on variables like the amount of taper at the bow and stern, the volume of the kayak, the amount of weight added, and so on). This in turn yields better tracking performance and converts more of the energy in your stroke into straight-forward motion. By traveling straighter, the heavier kayak frequently gets you to your destination faster, with less effort.
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 11-06-2013 at 00:22.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    MM - enjoyed the video, you've been doing a fine job capturing mouth watering food lately with the camera.

I hope you all enjoy the trip, I'll dip my feet in the kayak world someday. Until then, I'll be living vicariously thru you all.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks TallPaul
    and Cakes get the correct answer and a muffin
    The basic rule is this, the longer the boat the faster the boat AND regardless of shape (for us that could mean a square barge can be moving much faster than you'd ever guess); this holds true up and until the point where the boat cannot exceed its own bow wave.
    For our kayaks with the typical swept up bow, the more weight you put in it (Cakes was spot on this) the more of the boat sets in the water and the boat becomes 'longer' in that regard; and thus faster.
    The only vessel I know of that can exceed bow wave is a hydrofoil...now that would be a cool add on to a kayak and we've seen HNO's genius countless times, might need to pack a small blackboard for him to cypher on in camp
    p.s. this logic allows me to put all the heavy stuff in Poofs boat hehe

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I knew something like this trip would come up when I took that new job. I'm usually up that way at my dads place on the river for Thanksgiving and normally have been able to run this one. Y'all have fun and be safe.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    MM I still plan to be available to shuttle and help out where I can. I plan to do a short hike Fri. after shuttling and hang w/you guys that night if its ok for a non-kayaker to join. Let me know what I can do. One of the Law Enforcement guys I know told me a couple of days ago you wouldn't need permits because they would view you like backpackers (would need to fill out a free permit and leave it in a box at a trailhead). I plan to get a second opinion and let you know what I find out in a day or two.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I called the visitor center today and found out a couple things. We can purchase the yearly permits for everyone ahead of time. They are good for 1 yr from date of purchase. You can only purchase 3 day permits on arrival and can not purchase back-to-back 3 day permits without going back to the visitor center. When we get closer I will get the info needed to purchase the permits.

The person I spoke to said that a backcountry permit would be required for the designated non-fee backcountry campsites AND camping anywhere along the shoreline. The rules and regulations are a little vague on this. I interpreted them like Potneck said but I think we would end up at a couple designated backcountry sites along the way and would be required to have the permits to camp anyways. I believe Taylors Bay was our goal the first night. Taylor Bay has grills to cook the steaks and it would be easy for Potneck to find us. I say get the permits and have more options to camp.

LBL North Map LBL North/Central Facilities Chart Map Symbols

The non-fee designated backcountry campsites are shown on the map with a red tent symbol on a white background.

There area 12 designated Backcountry Areas with boat ramps—Birmingham Ferry, Boswell Landing, Demumbers Bay,
    Ginger Bay, Neville Bay, Nickell Branch, Pisgah Point, Redd Hollow, Smith Bay, Sugar Bay, Taylor Bay, and Twin Lakes.
    Camping in a designated Backcountry Camping Area is not required. Some areas, but not all, may have picnic tables,
    fire rings, dumpsters, and toilets.
    Last edited by hangnout; 11-06-2013 at 14:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast