The Ultimate Hang

Before buying a hammock i bought "the ultimate hammock." I wanted an idea of what i am getting. Being new it was a good decision. There is lots I did not know.

I was looking reading about trap styles. What are the most common ones used? I like the a-sym as far as weight but i wiggle lots of a night and may need something else.

i am trying to learn...thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The hex tarp is probably the most common shape. The shape allows for good coverage but there is a little less material so it is a little lighter and a little less bulky. For winter, tarps with intergrated doors are popular because the ends can be closed off for better weather protection.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I went with a winter tarp and just hook the doors together end to end for warmer weather. Then side to side when it is colder. Saved me some cash until I can get a second, "warm" weather, tarp.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Some suggestions...

If you can join a group hammock hang, do it. It will give you an opportunity to ask questions and, more importantly, try different hammocks. Ask people what they like or don't like about their hammocks. Trust me, people love to talk about their hammocks. Just look at this forum. :-)

If you can't do that, you might want to buy a cheap traditional hammock (Amazona/REI) for around $40 to try it out. Get a good book and see if you can lay in it for 2 hours and still feel comfortable. That's what I did. I also hung it up in my back yard to see if I could sleep in it overnight. That's how I found out that traditional hammocks really didn't work for me. You really can't tell, though, until you try it.

I like to do a lot of research before I commit large sums of money. Youtube and this forum are pretty good sources if you're trying to decide which gear to buy.

Have you seen Shug Emery's series for newbies? If you haven't, you should. It's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZV...=TLbwCx7vn8htA

There are quite a few decisions you need to make like am I going to be doing mostly car camping or hiking or both. Am I going to be summer, 3-season, or 4-season camping? Is finding trees going to be a problem when I camp? Sounds like a weird question until you consider that camping at campgrounds means the area where you're supposed to pitch your tent has to have trees in the right places to hang a hammock. Are you a gadget-head or do you subscribe to "the more you know, the less you carry"?

HTH
    Last edited by sliver; 07-11-2013 at 22:16.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have that book on my Kindle. It was a decent read and answered a few questions that I hadn't even asked yet. To be honest, I learned a lot more here and from Shug's videos. I am the ultimate lurker. I have been here for three years, visit the forum almost every day and have less than ten posts, but I read a lot.

I went with the Hennessey Hex Fly for a lot of coverage at a decent price. It is a big tarp and doesn't seem that heavy to me for what you get. i am not an ultralight backpacker though, so weight wasn't my biggest concern.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Tie down straps

Re: The Ultimate Hang

Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    If you can't do that, you might want to buy a cheap traditional hammock (Amazona/REI) for around $40 to try it out. Get a good book and see if you can lay in it for 2 hours and still feel comfortable. That's what I did. I also hung it up in my back yard to see if I could sleep in it overnight. That's how I found out that traditional hammocks really didn't work for me.
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm a n00b too. What are the differences between traditional and nontraditional hammocks?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm a n00b too. What are the differences between traditional and nontraditional hammocks?
    Good question, wrong thread.
    Let's keep this thread on track about tarps for the newcomer.

My guess on the most common style used around here is also going to be the hex design. It really is a great design for hammocks and easy to batten down the hatches when needed.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1,7 DL + a DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly + a DIY.
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    Images
    Does it matter Big time if the fabric only is 56" insted of 60 ore 62?

Wuld the tap be to small?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Traditional hammocks are also called gathered-end hammocks. To lay flat, you have to lay slightly diagonally on it. When you're in one, it looks a lot like a banana.

A bridge hammock has spreader bars at each end. Consequently, the shape is rectangular.

Take a look at warbonnet.com for some pix. Blackbird - traditional. RidgeRunner - bridge.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

• + New Posts