GoLite Ultra 20 UQ conversion

Wanted to get a little insight here from you guys. I have a Golite Ultra 20 that I picked up SUPER CHEAP so I figured it would be great for a conversion. I am having the footbox opened, shortening it to 58" or so, shock cord to the entire perimeter, and hang loops in the corners. This will be my 1st UQ and it is far more a test than a final solution. I am a bit of a gear junkie so I am sure I will end up with several. Is there anything I am missing? Comments? Suggestions?

thanks

jonathan

Anybody? No one has any comment?

Quote Originally Posted by anywayoutside View Post
    Wanted to get a little insight here from you guys. I have a Golite Ultra 20 that I picked up SUPER CHEAP so I figured it would be great for a conversion. I am having the footbox opened, shortening it to 58" or so, shock cord to the entire perimeter, and hang loops in the corners. This will be my 1st UQ and it is far more a test than a final solution. I am a bit of a gear junkie so I am sure I will end up with several. Is there anything I am missing? Comments? Suggestions?

thanks

jonathan
    Sounds like it'll be more work than it is worth to me. It is a perfectly serviceable top quilt as is, do you have a couple of No Snivelers lying around? If not I suggest you buy or make a proper UQ. When the short version of the KAQ appears, I think that will be the ticket.

I already have a new ultra 20 as a top quilt. So it's a BAD idea as an under quilt? If money is a factor - I only paid $40 for the quilt and have a friend who is altering it for me for $50. With shipping I'll only have $100 in it.

And if it is an improper under quilt please tell me how and why so I can correct any issues in the future.

Thanks

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I quite like mine as an over-quilt. It seems to me to be an excellent size, just enough width at the top to cover me comfortably and "tuck" the sides in, with a taper to the foot.

If I were considering using an altered one as an underquilt I would be concerned about dimensions. I haven't measured but I'm pretty sure it is narrower than the JRB quilts, for example. In a gathered end hammock you need that width for going on the diagonal. You can get the coverage you need with a narrower UQ on a bridge hammock, and indeed I do exactly that with DIY underquilts.

So I can see an modified Ultra working out as an underquilt on a bridge hammock (or if you go tight and straight as in a Claytor), but wonder if you'll get all the coverage you need on a gathered end hammock. Might be OK though if you double the hammock over to make it into a 1/2 length quilt, you maybe can position the narrower quilt under your torso and get all the coverage you need there, use a short pad for the legs.

Grizz

Thanks for the input...I should have it back in a day or two. The proof is in the pudding I guess.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    i used a mummy bag that i got for five bucks because the zipper was broken.
    so i cut the foot box down the middle and cut off the hood .works good on a gathered end hammock. i also cut a standard square bag in half and just used the bottom as UQ and i works great in warmer weather i have pics in my gallery.

• + New Posts