Hammock
    Eno One-Link
    Tarp
    Dreams of Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow 20 top Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    I just ordered my first batch of supplies from Quest Outfitters http://www.questoutfitters.com/
    DIY plan of thread injecting action: {I plan to practice sewing on the crappy stuff sacks that came with some of my camping gear.}
    1. Stuff sacks
    2. Winter tarp
    3. Complete the North Face bag to under quilt conversion.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: My sewing machine is here!!!!

Congrats, can't beat that feeling of pride when you get a great night sleep using gear you made yourself.

After doing some stuff sacks I would advise a whipping up a couple of hammocks before you have a go at a tarp... gotta practice those long squint lines before you get to doing a ridgeline seam, hammock hems are much more forgiving if they're not perfect. Or make a small asym tarp without the seam. Good luck.

Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    mac cat sil
    Insulation
    diy uq. love it!
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Nice !last yr I borrowed my mothers 1972 vintage singer.Since then I have made hammock, UQ,bugnet, and a big winter tarp. Took it out 2 says ago to make my hammock & wasnt working right. Almost went to Wally world to get your exact model. Just before leaving for walmart I decide to give it one more shot. Realized I missed a spot to put thread thru. Works perfect again got hammock done. Have fun!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rockroot=:-( View Post

If you had told me 3 months ago that I would be get stoked when a sewing machine is shipped to my house, well, I would have told you that you were nuts.

Today is one small sale for Walmart.com, Brother XL-2600i, and one huge step for my DIY life.

Finish sleeping bag conversion? Yes I will!
    Make waterproof sox? OK!!!!
    Stuff sacks? You know it!!!
    Kick butt winter tarp?? Oh yesssssssssss

OK, I'll admit it. I have never used a sewing machine, however, I am a enthusiastic, [compulsive and habitual], You Tube watcher and I believe I can . . . because, as a very wise man once said,
    WE DON'T SEW!! WE MAKE GEAR!!!!!!!!!
    ****, just got the machine and he has it BAD...

Welcome to the addiction! Just remember: New needles, and good thread make the project work! I have a similar machine. Though it isn't perfect, I muddle through... Take your time, and work up to the bigger projects.

Don't get too frustrated on the SB conversion, most machines have a heck of a time sewing them. . .

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Don't get too frustrated on the SB conversion, most machines have a heck of a time sewing them. . .

John
    One of the tricks here is trim the insulation just shy of the seam allowance. If you try to sew through two or more layers of solid sleeping bag you will almost certainly max out the height of the presser foot, releasing the tension disks and have a true mess on your hands. So, on a synthetic sleeping bag, trim the fiber fill back so you can fold and sew and still leave room for the presser foot to descend properly. After all, the edges of the quilt are not the critical part of the warmth.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    One of the tricks here is trim the insulation just shy of the seam allowance. If you try to sew through two or more layers of solid sleeping bag you will almost certainly max out the height of the presser foot, releasing the tension disks and have a true mess on your hands. So, on a synthetic sleeping bag, trim the fiber fill back so you can fold and sew and still leave room for the presser foot to descend properly. After all, the edges of the quilt are not the critical part of the warmth.
    NOW you tell me!

Oh: Watch RamblinRev's videos!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Eno One-Link
    Tarp
    Dreams of Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow 20 top Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post

Thanks for the great information. Luckily, though, I happen to be converting a down bag I picked up for $45 on Craigslist.
    It has the good white, fluffy, light down, no hood and already has a great shock cord and mini toggle at the head. It should be a bit easier to push the down around as I sew.

I am doing a 50"x42" quilt so I plan on taking the down from the four lower baffles and stuffing it into the four baffles that will fall between my shoulder blades and just below my butt. I am hoping there will be enough down for a slight overfill.

One thing I made sure to get was Blasting tape for nylon and working on sails to help me seal as I go along so I do not loose a lot of down or have to pin. I have not seen any of the gear sewers use Blasting tape . . .Why not?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The problem I have with adhesives of any kind is they can be transferred to the workings of the machine by the needle. That can literally gum up the works. That's my opinion and it is only that. Some people may have good luck with them. Pays your money and takes your chances.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast