DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

IL>IL hang?

I read in another thread that the upper 3/4's or so of IL does not seem to be particularly hang-friendly. I'm also new to hammock camping and would really like to try making my own hammock. I'm wondering if there are any planned upcoming hang events for, or near, the Chicago area. Anything within, say, 200 miles I might consider. So, if you know of anything in that range, give me a holler. I mostly want to see some hammocks already set-up and maybe see how they feel before deciding if I'm going to be making my own. I'm not in any particular rush, but would prefer events occurring this year. I'm working on rehab-ing an old Brother Galaxie tactical micro-restraint insertion device, so I have a bit of time before I'm even ready to begin.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator 40 +2 oz
    Suspension
    Ring and carabiner
    I am down state from you , and also would like to see an Illinois hang. I have been kicking aroud getting one organized,but I have never been to a group hang, so i dont know what kind of area size wise would be needed. Sand ridge state forrest does have a campground that is nestled in a pine stand ,so that would maybe work. I also am unsure about the logistics of getting an area reserved for an event . SO is there anyone out there that knows of a place in Illinois that could accomodate a group ?
    dyslexics untie!!

Sing loud for the sunshine,
    Pray hard for the rain
    And show your love for Lady Nature
    And she will come back again
    Page/Plant

Images

IL hang

I live near I55 and 355 and there is a small forest preserve near here where I have set up hammocks and let people try them. You could not camp there but a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon has never been a problem. I have a HH and a WB BB. If there was any interest I would bring my hammocks to let others try them.
    In the spring there is a campout of canoe and kayak enthusiast near Rockford. This year there were about 5 hammocks in use. A couple of the campers were there just as a chance to try out there new hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WL SNIPE
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    WS
    I live in the Quad Cities 2.5 hours away from you, and whoever said that is lying to ya. LOTS of good hanging here..

Look at trips/hangs

SHAWNEE HIKE AN HANG next weekend.

-seth

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm about 250 miles south of you. I have July 29th through August 2nd off work. You are more than welcome to come camping with me during that time.

Hopefully that northern third comment isn't right, as I'm just getting into this from chicagoland! Am planning a fall color photography trip to Shawnee this fall--sad to miss the planned hang, but I'll wave at you from the road to RMNP!

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    I live near I55 and 355 and there is a small forest preserve near here where I have set up hammocks and let people try them. You could not camp there but a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon has never been a problem. I have a HH and a WB BB. If there was any interest I would bring my hammocks to let others try them.
    In the spring there is a campout of canoe and kayak enthusiast near Rockford. This year there were about 5 hammocks in use. A couple of the campers were there just as a chance to try out there new hammocks.
    Heya Magic, I was at Rockford. Lost my phone in the river after that first bend/tipout. Think I lost it when someone hit me. I had the inflatable kayak.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Someone should PM RNGN; he's from that neck of the woods. There's some really great places in Southern IL to hike/hang; unfortunately the cut all of the trees down in Northern IL in order to grow more corn.
    Gideon

Images
    Zooshooter
    At the spot where the first couple of people flipped I was playing with the current while they were getting ready to go on and I flipped. First time in years. I lost my billfold out of my pocket. My camera was in a nylon dry bag in my shirt pocket and it was dry. I think 2 people lost cell phones on that trip.
    Any one reading this must think we are taking on some fast water. There was not anything I would call white water on this trip. I went over because I did something dumb.
    Good to hear from you.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Someone should PM RNGN; he's from that neck of the woods. There's some really great places in Southern IL to hike/hang; unfortunately the cut all of the trees down in Northern IL in order to grow more corn.
    Gideon
    Here I thought they cut all them trees down so the political winds would blow farther. Maybe they're one and the same.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast