How to go to ground with Ridgerunner as bivy?

Hey guys, so I've been preparing the past few months to go on a pretty major hike this coming Thursday--Ansel Adams Wilderness, just outside Yosemite via the John Muir Trail. I had planned on showing off my Ridgerunner and Cloudburst combo (which I still hope to do), but much of where my friends and I are going will be above treeline Therefore, there will be at least one or two nights where I'll have to go to ground. The thing is, I've gotten great at setting up the RR and Cloudburst...that is, when trees are abundant. However, I have been scouring photos of the area including Ediza Lake, and there appear to be very few trees at all. Now according to Warbonnet, the RR can be used as a bivy. Does anyone have any tips, advice, photos, suggestions on the best way to go about this? And how would one go about rigging the Cloudburst to accommodate this? I'd like to practice before looking like a putz in the wild. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esotericist27 View Post
    Hey guys, so I've been preparing the past few months to go on a pretty major hike this coming Thursday--Ansel Adams Wilderness, just outside Yosemite via the John Muir Trail. I had planned on showing off my Ridgerunner and Cloudburst combo (which I still hope to do), but much of where my friends and I are going will be above treeline Therefore, there will be at least one or two nights where I'll have to go to ground. The thing is, I've gotten great at setting up the RR and Cloudburst...that is, when trees are abundant. However, I have been scouring photos of the area including Ediza Lake, and there appear to be very few trees at all. Now according to Warbonnet, the RR can be used as a bivy. Does anyone have any tips, advice, photos, suggestions on the best way to go about this? And how would one go about rigging the Cloudburst to accommodate this? I'd like to practice before looking like a putz in the wild. Thanks in advance!
    Here is Ed Speer in a ground set-up. Not a bridge hammock but it would work the same I do think.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    I know I'm a Noob, but I don't get the advantage of using your hammock like this. I mean, you could put a cloth down, maybe your uq down and then your top quilt on top. unless it is for the bug net, then I guess i understand, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is Ed Speer in a ground set-up. Not a bridge hammock but it would work the same I do think.
    Shug
    Thanks for that, Shug! That was what I had imagined all along. Btw, I am a big fan of your videos--"Whooo buddyyy!"

Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    I know I'm a Noob, but I don't get the advantage of using your hammock like this. I mean, you could put a cloth down, maybe your uq down and then your top quilt on top. unless it is for the bug net, then I guess i understand, maybe.
    Yeah, HammockPete--it doesn't seem like there is any particular advantage. I suppose it's just a possibility to improvise when going to ground. I just opted to buy a 1 person tent. Won't be as comfortable, but at least I'll have another option for when I know trees won't be around.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esotericist27 View Post
    Yeah, HammockPete--it doesn't seem like there is any particular advantage. I suppose it's just a possibility to improvise when going to ground. I just opted to buy a 1 person tent. Won't be as comfortable, but at least I'll have another option for when I know trees won't be around.
    Yah, it is all about the bugnet.....I don't have a bugnet on my RR, and thus would have no reason to use it on the ground. If I have to go to ground, it's using my existing tarp, pad and quilt(s).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    10x10 silnylon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Bugs and ground creepers

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustie Turtle View Post
    this is where I'd use a pad, instead of an UQ. this way at least you're still comfortable and insulated whether you're on the ground, or hanging in the air.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images

How to go to ground with Ridgerunner as bivy?

Last year me and goforth hiked the loowit trail around mt. St. Helens. There was a night and a questionable second night perhaps without trees. I opted for the ridge runner for the big protection. I went with my sleeping pad as my insulation that trip whether in the air or not. So I left my UQ. So, I brought a very small pad from gg. This protected the air pad. It was a sweet set up for when I was forced to go to the ground slept like a baby and could hear rumblings under me the shifting lava and glacier fed drainages which stopped flowing in the night during refreeze. It’s the best set up to concert to bivy. IMHO. Also these are reasons why I do it. So they exist.
    At the very end it shows the set up.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrc91zz04UA
    It

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

• + New Posts