DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Forget about all the wieght issues, all of the personal preferences, all of the gear roching and fanboy pimping, and all of the peer pressure to perform in a certain manner.

One of the most famous backpackers of all time was a lady called Grandma Gatewood. She through hiked the Appalacian trail---twice---after she truned 60, carried everything in a tote sack, wore tennis shoes, and used a shower curtain for shelter.

Its not about the gear, and the gear is not really the secret.

Your goal, as I understand it, is to be able to spend the night in the woods and not in developed campsites.

For a beginner, it should be no more complicated than that. KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid

My advice:

Set a first time achievable goal: One night in the woods.

So here's the minimum of what you need to spend a night in the woods:

Food.
    Water.
    Shelter.
    A flashlight.

And something to carry that in.

For food (assuming you will be heading out on a Saturday morning), you will need one lunch, one supper, and one breakfast. To keep things simple (this is your first time out), pick stuff that doesn't need to be cooked: sandwiches, pop tarts, commercially made lunch packs, etc.

For water, it is advised that one consume one gallon of water per day in the hot summer months. You can take care of part of that by drinking a quart or so before leaving the house and another quart before hitting the trail, which leaves you carrying about a half gallon on the trail. We're going to assume that, because this is your first time, you're not going to have any filtration equipment.

For shelter, if you're on this forum, and you're already doing car camping, we're going to assume you alreay have a hammock and tarp. That's all you need for shelter, unless its going to be below 65* overnight. if so, you need an underquilt or pad.

Get all of that stuff together and take a look at home much space it takes up, then go buy a backpack that will hold it.

Now, pick a safe spot to camp in. You're not going to climb Mt Washington your first time out. Most of the National Forests allow camping almost anywhere (check the rules), you can likley go to one of the car camping spots you're used to and find a trail leading out of it. Just go a couple hundred yards and pitch your camp. Eat your lunch, read a book, eat your supper, read some more, go to sleep, wake up, eat breakfast, walk back to the car.

That's it. You're done. You've backpack camped.

Then, evaluate your experience. Think about what you needed and did not have. Think about what you would have liked to have had but didn't need. Then, start your research on trail foods, equipment, etc.

Forget about all of the Ultra Light advice you've gotten or are going to get, that all comes later. The important thing is to get into the woods. You will make mistakes. You will learn from them. But above all, get out into the woods---even if its only fifty yards from the car. Get afr enough away from the car and the campsite so you can't see it and its inconvenient to get stuff, but close enough that you can get back to it if the need really arises.

After you've achieved your first achievable goal, set one a bit higher than that. Get together with other folks who are backpacking and join thier trips. Keep in mind that this will be a continuing, life long experience.
    Last edited by sargevining; 07-13-2013 at 08:46.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would say read some books on basic backpacking....http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=backpacking
    Then just go on an overnighter. Try to go far enough that you feel your far from the trailhead. Make notes on what works and what does not.
    Backpacking can be a mental and physical challenge but the pay-offs are huge)))))
    The best way to learn is to go and go often.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    great great advice everyone. thanks

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Be very careful of the gram weenie mentality. It is a way of making a lot of miles with minimal wear in a day. It is not a way to wander in, sit around camp with a book and binoculars watching the birds or lazing about working on a wood fire cooked dinner. Think a bit about what you want to do and then start gearing up appropriately. Some gear does not change and some does not cost much. Your sleep system will work if you are set up with a hammock unless you are using wool blankets. ;-)

Google penny stove and go scrounge some empty pepsi cans. A little work and you have a stove. Any large Al cup makes a pot. Bowls are easy assuming you want one.

Scout the used markets for a pack. Look or a base weight around 25 lbs and you can beat it fairly easily. Try a few short hikes with that outfit and you will build an understanding of what folks are really saying in the books. That's the time to start spending serious money on better gear. After you have spent a couple of 5 miles in and 5 out nights in the woods alone of with a buddy or two.
    Last edited by nothermark; 07-13-2013 at 10:55. Reason: wrong word passed spell check but not sense check ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: Moving from car camping to backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Be very careful of the gram weenie mentality. It is not a way to wander in, sit around camp with a book and binoculars watching the birds or lazing about working on a wood fire cooked dinner.
    Well i feel the need to reply to this generalization.
    I like to sit around camp and read a book or have a fire. I like to carry a camera with a heavy lens on occasion.
    The reason this out of shape backpacker is able to do this is being judicious about the weight of all the items I carry.

To the OP... Just realize there are many ways to do this. None are right or wrong.
    Get with some people that do this, or rent some equipment from REI or someplace like that and see how it goes.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Be very careful of the gram weenie mentality. It is a way of making a lot of miles with minimal wear in a day. It is not a way to wander in, sit around camp with a book and binoculars watching the birds or lazing about working on a wood fire cooked dinner. Think a bit about what you want to do and then start gearing up appropriately. Some gear does not change and some does not cost much. Your sleep system will work if you are set up with a hammock unless you are using wool blankets. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I like to sit around camp and read a book or have a fire. I like to carry a camera with a heavy lens on occasion.
    The reason this out of shape backpacker is able to do this is being judicious about the weight of all the items I carry.

To the OP... Just realize there are many ways to do this. None are right or wrong.
    Get with some people that do this, or rent some equipment from REI or someplace like that and see how it goes.
    We're in danger here of moving away from the OP's request.

He's looking for advice on how to START backpack camping. Whenever these threads come up, I see a lot of people bringing a lot of experience into the subject, and that's a good thing, but then we also start to advocate personal preferences and then engage in debate based on those.

I support the "be careful of the gram weenie mentality" for first timers. Not because the gram weenie mentality is a bad thing, but because focusing on wieght at the very beginning unneccesarily complicates achieving the goal.

Let's get the kid out into the woods first.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post

And you are making my point when you toss in that big hunk of glass. Not multiple use and you don't *really* need it. ;-))

FWIW I used to camp with a woman who had 40 lbs of "ultralight" gear by the days standards. Ate good and did not lack for something to do but the portages were rough. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I can only speak for myself as I have progressed along over the past several years. I did a lot of reading, received a fair bit of advice along the way too, but only you can decide what gear is essential for you to enjoy your outdoor experience. Getting out there and actually doing is worth far more to me. I still have my original backpacking gear lists, highlighted with the gear I used or did not need. I refined and tuned my gear to my personal needs and have enjoyed the journey doing so. Good luck on your journey as well...Bush

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: Moving from car camping to backpacking

Sarge and Norther- I agree with the point that getting out there is the most imortant thing. I don't agree on eliminating a whole way of doing it when I suggest it to a new person, which you seem you be doing.
    All options should be open.

Hammock
    DH Darien, DIY, ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIYUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I also agree with not starting out light. That'll happen over time. When I started my base weight was about 22 pounds. But now my base weight is roughly 12 pounds. This is for summer of course. Like others have said use what you currently have. I used a lot of car camping gear for my first few trips before I figured out what I needed.
    Grant

Getting lost is not a waste of time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast