11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Anza, good place to hang??? Please help if you can

Looking for local knowledge on camping near Anza.

Riding buddy has a weekend class out there and wants me to camp with him afterwords. Don’t care much witch direction from Anza as long as it isn’t more then 50 miles or so. Elevation to escape the heat too, if that’s a real thing around there?
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Images
    Well Anza is already about 4000 ft, so that should help especially at night. But, I think it is desert with few trees if you were planning to hang. So I think you will need to get to some near by mountains to find trees. Maybe the Cahuilla mtns or Thomas Mt?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-14-2013 at 17:15.

Images
    Maybe some locals can get you the details. The pacific crest trail crosses Hwy 74 ( the Pines to Palms HWY) about 6 miles east of Anza.

Santa Rosa Mountain rises to about 8000 ft about 13 miles east of Anza, and I am able to see one dirt road that leaves HWY 74 to the south and goes up to about the 6200 ft level, and it is in some light green on the map, so maybe trees by then? About 10 miles north on Hwy 74 I see a lake Hemet campground at 4300 ft, but I think it is desert.

Mt. Saint Jacinto(10,834) State Park (at 5864) looks like it might be 25-30 miles north of Anza.
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636

But don't know about the trees in the campground, though there are plenty higher on the mountains:
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/San_Jacinto_...=2801&qsrc=999
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mo...king_Trail.jpg

Edit: I found this picture, it is supposed to be a campsite at St. Jacinto State Park:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/mount...jiUBUhOdjusYpQ
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-13-2013 at 22:04.

Hammock
    11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie

? personal knowledge

Sometimes I have a hard time conveying what I'm looking for?

I appreciate the response but what I'm looking for is someone who has hammock camped Anza.
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backroad View Post
    Sometimes I have a hard time conveying what I'm looking for?

I appreciate the response but what I'm looking for is someone who has hammock camped Anza.
    No, you were clear the 1st time. Sorry, I probably should not have responded because obviously I have no local knowledge of that immediate area. Other than what I can see on my topo maps, and pictures I see online, and vague memories of having travelled the area in years past.

So maybe someone will show up who actually has some knowledge of where to hang a hammock in the Anza area. But other than a hammock stand, or driving 25 to 50 miles to some spots like I pointed out or maybe some others like it, it looks like slim pickings to me in that desert terrain. But who knows, maybe a local will show up with some good tips for you. Good luck!

Hammock
    ENO double

Whale Peak

I have done traditional camping on top of Whale Peak. There are some good sized pine trees at the summit where you might be able to make something work. It is the only location in ABDSP I know of personally that might support hammock camping. If you start in the morning you should be able to make the summit and back in about 6 to 8 hours. I would approach from the North of the peak it is much easier and closer than hiking up the wash from the pictographs.

• + New Posts