Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have some of those. Pretty light duty, but I have used them for setting up extra tarps and such several times with much success. As long as I am not hitting rock or really hard clay they seem to do the job. They were dirt cheap and sit in the trunk of my car all the time just in case I need extras. I wouldn't put them in a pack and hike in with them somewhere.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

My worst stake(s) experience.

I've used MSR groundhogs for years and pounded them through every conceivable medium with only one slightly bent stake. They always held, even in mud.

I switched to the smaller MSR tri stakes two years ago. One slightly bent stake (easily bent back), but they don't have the same holding power. I put stones over them sometimes, wedge them in between rocks, and often tie off to natural anchors. The thinner profile provides more options, needing more creativity.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I use those cheapie WalMart (Coghlan's) stakes here in FL with no problem. They hold well in the loose sand so that's why I use them. Shepherd's hooks yank out of the ground like they're just laying on top.

Good to know how easily these stakes bend. I guess my rule of thumb will be if I can't push them in by hand or with a boot heel, find something else. I have a set of BA tent stakes from my Seedhouse that will work better. These are the older type that are a "+" shape (more like nails than tent stakes).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have some of those stakes as well. I wouldn't even put a boot heel to them, they do need to be treated with care. For the price, in my woods, they're worth keeping around, but I can see how they would be inadequate in other situations. Like every piece of gear, know it's limitations.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

My worst stake(s) experience.

The narrow titanium shepherds hook stakes bend like paper clips. Those were one of them "oops" purchases of mine. Total junk and they don't hold at all.

I bought Two packs of those but shortened them and have had no problems.A hack saw and a scotch bright wheel made short work of it.

Hammock
    SBPro GTUL
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Leighlo 30*
    Suspension
    Linelocker/Rings
    Had the same problem with the Coghlin's bending. Now use Landscaping Anchor Pins. Cut off 1 side then bend the short side to make a hook. Strong and a box of these are not that expensive, 50 of them for about $15

Opus

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i bent every single one of my wal mart stakes (8) before i bought what i thought at the time were expensive stakes in MSR goundhogs, haven't bent one of those in 3 years, turns out you get what you pay for sometimes and i couldn't be happier with the MSR's

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Ya I have been camping/backpacking my whole life due to my dad being a royal ranger comander(basically christin Boy Scouts) and have tried many kinds of stakes plastic, shepherded hooks check mark hoods. Those crap ones from Walmart lol. But a while back I went to my local backpacking store and got some msr mini groundhog stakes.(thought I would give the mini ones a test) and so far I haven't had any issues with them eh are light weight and holding up well! At 2.50$ a stake X4 seems to be well worth the money so far!
    I know alot of people are into the natural stakes whatever they can find. I do that if I have to but every time we get to camp it's dark and I already have to set up camp and everything at night time so I'm not really wanting to go look for rocks on top of that. The point of me posting this pic just showing what happened to my stakes from Walmart if your having luck with yours well your lucky then just recommend saving the few bucks and just getting something good the first try! #lessonlearned
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Good advice Viper, no doubt. Probably saved me from ruining some stakes today. I carry those stakes, and some gutter nails, and still stay in a comfortable weight range, but use natural materials when convenient. One day I might upgrade, but I collect so many forgotten stakes from campsites that I have many more than I need. Thanks for your review.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast