Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Venture Outdoors Travel Light Camp Pad for $8.25 at WW 25" x 78" .59" thick

Hey HF, newb here who has been lurking and learning for like 3 months! Anyway, I was looking for a cheap CCF pad at Walmart and saw the blue one that is mentioned often on here, then I randomly came across this one from Venture Products that is .59" thick and is 25" x 78" which I thought looked good for the price but before I bought it I was wondering if anyone else has checked it out:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Venture-Pr...Green/23382498

They have a smaller one too at 20" x 72" for $5.15:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Venture-Pr...Green/23382497

Anybody know anything about these? Seem like a nice price for the specs and the fact that they come in forest green instead of a bright or light blue is also a plus imo. Non-hammock related somewhat since its a self-inflatable but they also have this which looks pretty slick for $12.75:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Venture-Pr...Green/23382499

Obviously this last one is really cheap for what it looks like, but I have no idea how the quality is and after checking out their website I guess they make foam flooring products among other things. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    looks like possiblity - any idea how much it weighs
    I'm going to see if local ww has it
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yikes the Walmart website says that first two weight 3.97-5.73LBS (shipping weight) that's hardly fits with the "It's lightweight, closed cell foam construction makes it easy to carry" in the description That self inflating one is listed at over 13LBS - must ship with its own brick or two! That's got to be wrong.

Maybe the we "Wenzel Aluminum Camp Pad - Silver" that says 1.35LBS shipping weight and is only slightly smaller at 24"x72" also $8.88. (Though not in stores around here anyway).

I believe that the "Ozark Trail Camping Pad, Blue" is the famous "blue ccf" pad that is normally talked about here. Just weighted mine at 13oz (including a band of ripstop that I slip it into to keep it rolled up). Pad + DIY SPE + foam for wings came to 29oz (1.8LBS)

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    It looks like a yoga mat - most of which are HEAVY! Dense, warm, but heavy.

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    No it is awesome. I tried the blue ccf. Then I tried this one and it is waaaaaay more comfy. It's listed weight is 9 oz. it feels very close to the same weight as the blue one. It may even be lighter. But either way it is far superior. Try both if you like but I already did for you. It's even comfy on the ground and I hate ground dwelling

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    P.S I'm talking about the smaller second one you linked. It's smooth surfaced and does NOT look like a yoga mat like the first one.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks

Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Imapuppy View Post
    Non-hammock related somewhat since its a self-inflatable...
    Why is a self inflating mat no good for hammocking?

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    Just slept in the mat for the first time and it is warmer than my 40 degree underquilt. This may ruin underquilts for me because I was warmer with the 3.5 oz pad(I only use half of the pad) than my 13 oz partial underquilt. Plus I can go to ground. More people need to know about this pad and try it out. It's only difference is I think it's an open cell foam not a ccf. This is a plus for me because it breaths vs a ccf where my back gets sweaty and can't breath. Just be aware that the pad can absorb water. I love this pad so far but it's only been 1 night so more testing is needed

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    Hey all, I'll add a little info about these pads. I recently purchased both but have not had the chance to use them out. What I can add is a little technical info.

The 20" x 72" pad is non-textured and I imagine very similar to the infamous "blue pad" from wally world - I've never owned one myself, though. Weighs 10.25oz on my digital scale, including the two lightweight flat shock cord loops for keeping the pad rolled up. Thickness measures in at .4" with my digital calipers. It is made of a dense foam that doesn't compress hardly at all and springs back right away. It is a "firm" foam that shows no bubbles in its structure.

The 25" x 78" pad is textured, but is nothing like a heavy textured yoga or exercise mat or anti-fatigue mat. Claimed specs: 25" x 78", .5 thick, 1.03lbs. It weighs 15.95oz on my scale, again including the two small shock-cord loops that keep it rolled up. Thickness is roughly .55" with the calipers. The type of foam is very different to the non-textured pad. This one is also a good foam that does not want to compress and springs back quickly, but a "bubble" structure is clearly seen comprising the structure of the pad.

Currently both are out of stock on walmart.com, but they have been in and out of stock for the past couple weeks. I believe both pads are tremendous values. I'm very impressed at the quality for the price. I'm planning on cutting and modifying & trying my hand at a DIY SPE.

I'll try and post a field report once I get them out in the wilderness.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    Hey all, I'll add a little info about these pads. I recently purchased both but have not had the chance to use them out. What I can add is a little technical info.

The 20" x 72" pad is non-textured and I imagine very similar to the infamous "blue pad" from wally world - I've never owned one myself, though. Weighs 10.25oz on my digital scale, including the two lightweight flat shock cord loops for keeping the pad rolled up. Thickness measures in at .4" with my digital calipers. It is made of a dense foam that doesn't compress hardly at all and springs back right away. It is a "firm" foam that shows no bubbles in its structure.

The 25" x 78" pad is textured, but is nothing like a heavy textured yoga or exercise mat or anti-fatigue mat. Claimed specs: 25" x 78", .5 thick, 1.03lbs. It weighs 15.95oz on my scale, again including the two small shock-cord loops that keep it rolled up. Thickness is roughly .55" with the calipers. The type of foam is very different to the non-textured pad. This one is also a good foam that does not want to compress and springs back quickly, but a "bubble" structure is clearly seen comprising the structure of the pad.

Currently both are out of stock on walmart.com, but they have been in and out of stock for the past couple weeks. I believe both pads are tremendous values. I'm very impressed at the quality for the price. I'm planning on cutting and modifying & trying my hand at a DIY SPE.

I'll try and post a field report once I get them out in the wilderness.

I look forward to hearing more. I have a ridgerest, and am always looking for other options. I especially like that one is 25" wide.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast