Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

NY > Adirondacks

I'm planning to spend 2 weeks in the Adirondacks starting in a couple of days (probably around Monday July 22nd).

Anybody interested in joining me for a hike? Can be a day hike, can be a multi-day hike. I'm open to suggestions.

Also I would be interested in hearing which hikes you can recommend. I'm still reading through various websites, but suggestions of other hammock hikers carry more weight

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Big fan of the Northville Placid trail. Plenty of places for a hammock.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    PM incoming.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks!

I should have added this: I'm not a very experienced hiker, yet. Willing to learn, though. I don't go ultralight although I'm trying to keep the weight down. I have mostly done day hikes up to now and only a hand full of multi-day hikes (most without a hammock due to circumstances). The most miles I hiked in one day was around 14 and I'm not sure if I would be able to keep that up more than two days - but I'm working on it

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Let DuctTape set you up with hikes but hit the Museums at Blue Mountain Lake and Tupper Lake. BM is Adirondack History, Tupper is Natural History of the area.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Mount Marcy is a nice hike, 1 day hike for most people, but I stretch it to 2, that way, you can actually pay attention to the area you're hiking through.

Giant Mountain is one of my FAVORITE hikes in the 'daks (granted, I've only been up 29 of the 46 high peaks, so I'm not an expert by any means)

One of the BEST references that ever existed for the Adirondacks was Adirondackjourney.com the sites creator, Joel died 2 and half years ago.

His son swore to continue the website, but eventually gave up, and shut the site down

Thanks to the wonders of the internet however, nothing on the web ever goes away.. Using the library of congress' "Way Back Machine" allows you to Find Adirondack Journey once again.

Be warned however: a lot of areas were damaged during Tropical Storms Irene and Sandy, so the step by step trail instructions may not be 100% spot on.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks a lot! I'm still busy doing research and internet access is spotty.

I heard Mt Marcy is pretty crowded? But maybe not if I do it during the week. Seems crowds are way bigger on the week-ends.

DuctTape recommended I get the National Geographics map of the area. I guess there will be lots of hikes on there, too. He also recommended 2 multi-day-hikes which I will be doing.

If you can recommend additional day or multi-day-hikes, please do. I hope to do get in a lot of hiking And I'll check the Adirondack Journey website, too.

I saved the museums on Goolge Maps. If I pass by, I'll try to make time for it.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you do any canoeing you might also try St. Regis Canoe Outfitters at their Floodwood road base - it's on a portage into a motor free paddling/camping area. More or less rent and go:

http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/trip-...a-flow-section

The High Peaks is the "go to" spot because of the mountains and Lake Placid Village. OTOH the park is full of places to hike if you are not focused on climbing and crowds. There is a shelf full of books on hikes in the area. Ditto maps.

I assume you are going in the east side. If you do come out the SW corner through Old Forge and you will get a pretty good tour of the area. There is a lot more to the park than the high peaks. You can get maps and books at any of the gateway villages.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Re: NY > Adirondacks

I agree on the maps, i own nat geo's maps, and their software for the 'dacks. Each one is invaluable.

Which 2 multidays did he recommend? I've yet to make it up there this year, but when I finally do, a multiday is first on the list.

Marcy is packed all the time. Summer, winter, days, nights. Etc.

And I would suggest a quick tour of the Olympic village in Lake Placid.. Hosted the winter games twice, and it is where the "miracle on ice" happened. But I' m a hockey fan :-)

Hutz - I'll be up that way in mid-September, most likely in the Moose River Plains, somewhere along that Cedar Flow Road. I think the NPT passes near there - if anyone has any suggestions for good campsites in that area, I'd appreciate it. I've got a few tips from some guys on the ADK forum, but I'm always open to suggestions.

This trip will be mostly basecamping/carcamping with lots of dayhikes, though I'll have a small pack along for an overnighter if there's something nearby that just shouldn't be missed.

Thanks and happy trails!

ps - thumbs up on those NatGeo maps - you can get the entire Adirondack set for a pretty good price. I'm up there once/year and it's worth it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast