Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

NH > Whites

I'm still in the Adirondacks (see my other thread), but since it takes a while for suggestions to come in, I'm posting this now. After hiking in the Adirondacks, my plan is to move on to the Whites in New Hampshire and spend another ~2 weeks hiking there. This should be roughly in the first 2 weeks in August.

So: which hikes should I be doing, apart from parts of the AT? Are there nice 2-4 day hikes, preferably loops, that you can recommend? Any great spots that I shouldn't miss?

And of course I'd love to meet hangers! Don't mind if it's just for a day hike.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Head for the White Mountains National Forest. Don't know where you are going after that but the busy side was the Conway/North Conway side. Used to be nice but had gotten really touristy the last time I was there in 2001. Spend a little time in Vermont. Lots to see but again, has gotten a lot more touristy than it used to be.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WBSF, MacCat STD
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/Thermarest
    The Pemigewasset (Pemi) wilderness is a great place to spend a few days. I would suggest a starting / ending spot of Lincoln Woods visitor center off the Kancamagus highway. There is a parking fee charged at Lincoln Woods.

A number of loop hikes can be done from Lincoln Woods that can take you to some great peaks with fantastic ridge hikes. There are a number of maintained back country camping options available, as well as AMC huts if you are interested in that option.

You can also find places for stealth camping. I've found nice locations off of Lincoln Brook Trail and the Bond Cliff trail. The AMC has a nice trail map of the area that I would suggest picking up before heading out. Make sure you get a newer map, or do some additional research before heading out. The Pemi is a designated wilderness area that is governed by all the legal mumble jumbo that entails. In the past few years there have been some trail closers and structure removals, including a bridge crossing the East branch of the Pemi River. The changes are reflected in the 29th (2012) addition of the White Mountain guide.

A note of caution if you decide to head up the Lincoln Brook trail. It is primarily used as a way to reach Owls Head mountain from the south. There are no officially maintained trails to the summit of Owls Head, however there is a slide (Owls Head Path) that is used to reach the summit area. I have not been on it, but reports are the Lincoln Brook Trail north of the Owls head path is difficult to follow and travel on.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_hanger View Post
    The Pemigewasset (Pemi) wilderness is a great place to spend a few days. I would suggest a starting / ending spot of Lincoln Woods visitor center off the Kancamagus highway. There is a parking fee charged at Lincoln Woods.

A number of loop hikes can be done from Lincoln Woods that can take you to some great peaks with fantastic ridge hikes.

I took someone's advice and did some snowshoe hiking and camping in the Lincoln Woods area this winter. Very nice.

I hope you're enjoying the Adirondacks part of your trip. What areas of the ADKS have you been hiking?

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just did a 4-day loop hike out of Lincoln Woods in the Pemigewasset Wilderness. You can find my video trip reports here

I'm returning to the Pemi this coming Saturday to lead a small group on an overnight backpacking trip to Owl's head.

Other suggestions, are the Moriah-Carters-Wildcat traverse. The Kinsmans and Cannon Mountain are also nice trips. You could consider a Presidential Range traverse, but much of that is above tree-line and therefore not suitable for hammock camping.

Quote Originally Posted by ne_hanger View Post

A number of loop hikes can be done from Lincoln Woods that can take you to some great peaks with fantastic ridge hikes. There are a number of maintained back country camping options available, as well as AMC huts if you are interested in that option.

You can also find places for stealth camping. I've found nice locations off of Lincoln Brook Trail and the Bond Cliff trail. The AMC has a nice trail map of the area that I would suggest picking up before heading out. Make sure you get a newer map, or do some additional research before heading out. The Pemi is a designated wilderness area that is governed by all the legal mumble jumbo that entails. In the past few years there have been some trail closers and structure removals, including a bridge crossing the East branch of the Pemi River. The changes are reflected in the 29th (2012) addition of the White Mountain guide.

A note of caution if you decide to head up the Lincoln Brook trail. It is primarily used as a way to reach Owls Head mountain from the south. There are no officially maintained trails to the summit of Owls Head, however there is a slide (Owls Head Path) that is used to reach the summit area. I have not been on it, but reports are the Lincoln Brook Trail north of the Owls head path is difficult to follow and travel on.
    1960HikerDude.com

“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ― Jack Kerouac

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    I strongly third the Pemi Wilderness. If you go there be sure to spend a night up on the Twinway. It's magical.

Not a loop but shuttle service runs both directions along what is known as The Traverse. It is another breathtaking hike.

The Sandwich Range Wilderness just North of Lake Winnipesauke offers some great hanging opportunities at altitude. Passaconaway, Hedgehog, Whiteface. Find the old Camp Rich for some cool streams...

We will be there next week again.

Welcome to Gods Country....
    Last edited by whoofit; 07-21-2013 at 18:52.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

NH > Whites

====> +4 for the Pemigewasset area, especially around Lincoln, Rte 3 or off Rte 112, or Rte 175 near Woodstock. I stealth camp and fish there, and there are a myriad of hikes of all levels, terrains, and distances.

Some pretty tasty Trout, as well!

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    we are trying to hike the NH 48's.. already 1/3 completed... love the Whites! The Pemi loop is a great place to start- have fun!
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WBSF, MacCat STD
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/Thermarest
    A notice of the pending closure of the Lincoln Woods trail for 6 to 8 weeks was placed on the White Mountain National forest web page today. Not sure of the exact dates of the closer, or when you will be there, but this would impact your ability to hike into the Pemi from the Lincoln Woods visitor center.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitem...TELPRDB5428884

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I was planning to move on to the Whites in the 2nd week of August. Seems like I'm out of luck and will be missing the best part due to the trail closure Or is there another way in? I have to admit that I haven't looked into it as I have just come back from a hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast