WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    @nothermark: I won't be doing any canoeing alone. Too dangerous for somebody as inexperienced as me to do this on my own. Would be up for some paddling with other people. SilvrSurfr is doing a trip; unfortunately I'm in the Whites by that time

I'm not fixed on any one place. I'll be going through the map pack tomorrow and see if something jumps out. I was told that Giant Mountain would be a worthy day hike. I'm not going to buy a book. I'll just go by guts or website recommendations.

@hk2001: The multi-day hikes DuctTape recommended he calls the Corey Loop and the French Louis Loop. Don't know if that helps you. If not, PM me.

@oruacat2: I only just arrived here. Doing Airbnb for a couple of days until I hit the trail. I still have to see which campground I'll pick afterwards. A campground with wifi would be my choice, since it helps me organizing my trip. I can post later on which campgrounds I visited and if they were worth it.

Hutz - if you're looking for a nice 3-4 day hike, intermediate difficulty, check into the Cranberry Lake 50. Just like it sounds, it circles Cranberry Lake, but there are many other ponds/streams along the route as well as the Oswegatchie River. A small town on the SW shore (Wanakena) and a large campground on the NE shore, so you can break the trip up into whatever segment lengths you want. Also, many official ADK "lean to" shelters scattered throughout. It's up in the far NW part of the park, though, which means it's a haul to get there. The plus side is that it's less-visited.

Have fun!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
    Hutz - if you're looking for a nice 3-4 day hike, intermediate difficulty, check into the Cranberry Lake 50.
    Just had a look at the map; it seems not to be a complete loop - or do you finish the loop by walking a couple of miles along Route 3? Or am I missing something obvious?

No, you're correct, there is a short stretch that follows the highway. It's not bad, though, and the rest of the trip makes up for it IMO. Some people start in Wanakena and go clockwise, which gets that portion out of the way at the beginning instead of at the end. Just figured I'd throw that out there for you as a suggestion.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Good to know. I'm never sure who big the roads are here. I'll keep the walk on my list. Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The only reason I suggest a book is that the park as been divided up into several parts by the ADK and some other authors who publish guides with maps of trails in various areas. They usually have all the information you need for each trail in the area they cover. You might want to thumb through one once you settle on an area you will be in. The older one's I have also have some history and information on the area to provide a bit of in camp reading. I have not looked at buying anything recently so I am not sure what current production looks like.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Oh, I absolutely like hiking books. If I were to stay longer in the area, I would totally get one. And if there was one, that would cover the best East Coast walks, I would get that anyways. But I was already suggested 3 or 4 hikes here. I will be doing the 2 multi-day hikes DuctTape suggested, and try to squeeze in the others around. This will probably mostly fill up my 2 weeks here. I will pick a couple of day hikes I either found in the internet, or that look nice on the map (especially if they're loops).

I don't want to buy more stuff than I already had to I have a weight-limit when flying home in September, and in all likelihood, I wouldn't be able to use the book(s) afterwards. Should I be lucky enough to be able to do another US trip of that proportion, I would pick another area. The country is huge, and there are so many beautiful hiking spots! But this is also a disadvantage: in other countries it's easy to get a book suggesting great hikes all over the country. I guess the US is too big for this, and has too many great hikes to fit in one book.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, I got the first hike done and loved it! The temperatures went down, too. It's lovely cool at the moment. Unfortunately it seems that there are a couple of days with rain coming up, which means probably no views from the mountains. Not sure where to go and what to do next, although I have more hikes on my list than I will be able to do in the remaining days.

With regards to the first hike: I can fully recommend it. It's the French Louie trail, and it runs along the NPT for a day. I guess it could be done in two days, but that would mean missing some of the fantastic hanging spots. If I would do it again, I would probably add another day, just to do another camp site.

The first and last day weren't too exciting, though. The part between the Pillsbury and the South Lake lean-to was in pretty bad shape. Loads of fallen trees and overgrown paths. It was more like bushwhacking than hiking. The last part of the trail was OK but pretty boring. I added a couple of miles on the NPT, which were absolutely stunning. Hiked one way in the rain, and back in sunshine, which meant that it was like two different hikes Really a beautiful hike.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Glad to hear you are having a good time!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    CCF + Thermarest
    Suspension
    WB Adj. Webbing

Northville Placid or Cranberry Lake are great places to hang

I just completed the Northville Placid Trail and it is a terrific place to hammock. First night on Silver lake I hung right next to the water and 3 Loons swam right in talking. It was amazing.
    I would also recommend the Cranberry Lake 50 because it is a loop and you are always by the water. Enjoy your time up here but be prepared for cold weather - even in August.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast