Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Cure for gathered end "cut-across-the-leg"?

Last weekend, when I hung from two trees that were not far enough apart, I discovered something interesting.

Previously, I complained that my HH sometimes cuts across my left leg in a most uncomfortable manner. The folks who responded in that thread explained that it happens to some extent in all gathered end hammocks without a footbox.

When I hung on the sides of two trees that were about ten feet apart, the hammock had far more sag than normal, and the ridgeline was a little slack. However, when I lay on the diagonal, I was pleased to find that the cut-across-the-leg was completely gone!

Increasing the sag did not decrease the length of the diagonal lay. Instead, it spread out the material that supports the diagonal lay.

Could it be that all I have to do is shorten my ridgeline to eliminate the cut-across-the-leg? Has anyone tried this?

Here are some pics:

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

YES!!!
    HHs are usually set up too tight - both because of the length of the static line and how people interpret the set-up instructions. Lots of sag is good. It reduces or eliminates the cut-leg syndrom and places much less stress on the lines and fabric. So, yes, shorten the static line (carefully, a little adjustment goes a long way) and also keep the angle of the hanging lines at least as steep as 30 degrees from the trees.

Images
    When I cut mt HH RL to make it removable, I might have accidentally shortened it a small amount. But I remember that it seemed more comfortable afterward, especially in the calf area. So you may be on the right path.

Hammock
    IO Double, GT Double, DIY
    Tarp
    Currently tarpless
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Thanks for sharing this info. In my very limited experience I've experienced the leg pressure/pain and wasn't sure how best to address it. Look forward to trying a shorter hang.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When I cut mt HH RL to make it removable, I might have accidentally shortened it a small amount. But I remember that it seemed more comfortable afterward.

Ditto. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Folks, it is not necessary to cut the ridgeline to find out if you can eliminate the cut-across-the-leg. The simplest thing to do is just try hanging with a slack ridgeline.

Here's how I plan to try it with a normal pair of trees, about 12 or 13 feet apart. First I'll put my huggers as high as I can reach. Then I'll attach the hammock loose, with the ridgeline completely slack so that it is laying in the hammock with the bugnet. Then I'll tighten the hammock suspension at each end until the ridgeline rises up out of the hammock, and stop while the ridgeline is still very slack, and the hammock ends are even with each other.

If the hammock is too high at that point, then lower the huggers.

If the hammock is not high enough at that point, you'll have to raise the huggers. If you can't reach that high, then you need to find trees that are closer together.

I might be able to test this tomorrow afternoon, and report here!

P.S. If you use this method to find the right sag, you can then shorten your ridgeline so that it is tight when the hammock has that sag. So, when you find that you like it when the ridgeline is slack, measure it! You could even just tie a slippery knot in the ridgeline.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 03-11-2009 at 19:51.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    If the hammock is not high enough at that point, you'll have to raise the huggers. If you can't reach that high, then you need to find trees that are closer together.
    I have taken my trekking poles and lifted the huggers beyond what I could reach. But I have changed to a ring buckle system so all the adjustments are made a ground level.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Right, it is not needed, it's just something I noticed after I had cut the RL for other reasons. But while hanging with more slack than a normally pitched ( "moderately tight" I think HH says) hammock will work fine for checking this theory out, it might cause some minor problems if it is decided that a good bit more slack ois more comfortable. Mainly because if the RL is very slack, the net might be too slack and hang in my face. Plus the RL itself won't be a nice tight line for hanging things on.

I look forward to reading the results of your test. For me this is just a suspicion I have that the calf area is more comfortable since I made the RL mod. I can't exactly do an direct A-B comparison of pre-mod vs post-mod.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I understand, BillyBob! I was just thinking that there is more than one way to skin this cat.

If you look at my picture, you can see that the ridgeline has a significant sag, yet the bugnet was not near my face. The bugnet gets pulled up toward the ends of the hammock a but. I put a book in the little ridgeline basket, and hung several items from the ridgeline hooks. I stow the ridgeline basket up above my head, and slide the other things toward my knees.

The amount of slack we're talking about is not really that much.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I understand, BillyBob! I was just thinking that there is more than one way to skin this cat.

If you look at my picture, you can see that the ridgeline has a significant sag, yet the bugnet was not near my face. The bugnet gets pulled up toward the ends of the hammock a but. I put a book in the little ridgeline basket, and hung several items from the ridgeline hooks. I stow the ridgeline basket up above my head, and slide the other things toward my knees.

The amount of slack we're talking about is not really that much.
    Good deal, that's great that your net is not in your face even with the extra slack. I have a bit of trouble with my face/HH net interaction under any circumstances, unfortunately, and it only gets worse without at least a moderately tight RL. But, I think the SS somehow makes net problems worse, at least on mine. Sometimes if I can get the side pull outs just right( attached to something up high rather than to the ground), then there are no net problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast