Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

In your opinion what is your favorite all around tarp?

I've currently got a V9 TLG tarp and though it get barely gets the job done a bit short at 9' RL though on diamond it is 12' which is a bit long Also it is heavy at 2 lbs. So I think I am after an 11' RL (132") Tarp. Lots of options and I am only looking for a single tarp not 3-4 to cover a year. I would rather spend the money on one nice tarp that will cover all my needs.

So far I have eyed the AHE Shangri La with added Grizz Beaks or the WL Old Man Winter. I know these are probably on 2 different worlds as one is much more minimalistic and the other has all the options.

My only real requirements at this point are that I want a tarp that has an 11' (132") ridgeline, Grey in color (Though if I could find one in orange would be awesome), I'm currently open to all shapes and cuts. I'm definitely not a gram weenie so an extra few ounces to have a single tarp is worth it to me.

So what is your favorite tarp?
    Last edited by Craigthor; 07-21-2013 at 11:25.

Images
    z-pack 8'8" x 11' cuben. been my go to for over 3 years. 5 tieouts on 11' sides and center pulls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I have only used two....my old stock HH Explorer diamond tarp, and my Wilderness Logics Big Daddy Tarp. I love the Big Daddy tarp. Plenty of coverage to hang out under in rain. Enough room to have five of your friends under there too, when in porch mode. It is a measly 10 ounces for all that coverage.

The diamond, however, I always felt like I was going to get wet in the rain. I never did, but was also never in a windblown down pour with the diamond. I have since sold that HH with the diamond tarp.

Having said that, I do think I am going to buy a cuben diamond, or hex tarp to shave some weight so I can have options for trips, instead of always having to carry the larger Big Daddy.

My buddies OES MacCat is a very nice tarp as well. I really like how it has the pockets for guy lines.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Taking you into a longer ridge line?

I love my Super fly, but I think the ridge line is longer than 11'. It has such good coverage I think that it's worth it, but bring lots of stakes. I like my Claytor Diamond Fly(CDF), for use in fair weather, because of the ease of setup(only 2 stakes), but that has a ridge line longer than you're looking for at 13'. The vast majority of the time, I don't find the extra length, to be burdensome. To the contrary; I find it helpful to keep the weather out, especially on the CDF. Sometimes I've had to wrap the the ends of the tarp around a tree though.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I have only used two....my old stock HH Explorer diamond tarp, and my Wilderness Logics Big Daddy Tarp. I love the Big Daddy tarp. Plenty of coverage to hang out under in rain. Enough room to have five of your friends under there too, when in porch mode. It is a measly 10 ounces for all that coverage.

The diamond, however, I always felt like I was going to get wet in the rain. I never did, but was also never in a windblown down pour with the diamond. I have since sold that HH with the diamond tarp.

Having said that, I do think I am going to buy a cuben diamond, or hex tarp to shave some weight so I can have options for trips, instead of always having to carry the larger Big Daddy.

My buddies OES MacCat is a very nice tarp as well. I really like how it has the pockets for guy lines.
    Just checked out the OES Mac Cat and that one may be a definite contender based on price and it looks super light. I could easily add the Grizz Beak to this for packable end sealing only if I need it then.

Hammock
    Warbonnet- BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet-SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ-HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    I purchased a Warbonnet Superfly with the intention of only purchasing one tarp, and I've been very happy with it. Sorry, Grey or Orange wasn't an optional color choice.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    ...I love the Big Daddy tarp. Plenty of coverage to hang out under in rain... It is a measly 10 ounces for all that coverage...
    Per the WL website, the big daddy's weight is actually closer to 14 oz.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    So i am coming to find there are tons of options to with many similar designs between vendors. Guess i will have to look at customer service as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have had the tadpole, big daddy, and old man winter from wilderness logics and all are great tarps, but if I had to pick just one....then it'd have to be the big daddy tarp with extended ridge line length.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks any direct reasoning on if you had to choose one? Weight, pack size, or something else?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast