Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xada - Parachute Hammock Company

I started a hammock company called Xada. I decided to start producing my own hammocks because I wanted to make a higher quality hammock but make it more affordable. During my freshman year in college I started renting hammocks from my dorms front desk but it eventually got to the point that they were all rented out so I decided to purchase my own. I thought it was crazy that I had to spend $65 for the hammock then another $30-35 for straps that would stretch and had horrible reviews. I knew then that I wanted to make a hammock that would cost $55 for the whole system. This would make it more affordable, especially for college students. I ending up making my rope system based on the whoopie sling and used polyester for the rope and webbing.

If you have any questions about these hammocks please leave a comment or send me an email to [email protected] and I will answer it as soon as possible. Being a small company I want to be active on forums and get to know my customers.

Alex

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Looks like you have some good ideas. It looks like you did your homework. I do not think you will sell a lot here but you do look like you have a good casual/entry level package. Nice job.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Where are the hammocks made? They look like any number of other parachute nylon hammocks offered by several companies that are all made in the same factory abroad. Your price point is definitely better than many of the others especially since you include a decent suspension. I do think the suspension could use a shorter minumum length for better set up options. Good luck with your venture.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Looks like you have some good ideas. It looks like you did your homework. I do not think you will sell a lot here but you do look like you have a good casual/entry level package. Nice job.
    Thanks. That is exactly what kind of package we were trying to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Where are the hammocks made? They look like any number of other parachute nylon hammocks offered by several companies that are all made in the same factory abroad. Your price point is definitely better than many of the others especially since you include a decent suspension. I do think the suspension could use a shorter minumum length for better set up options. Good luck with your venture.
    They are manufactured in China. I will say that it is not like any other Chinese hammock. I have seen what the average Chinese hammock looks like and it is nothing like that. I am not just saying this since I sell them. I spent over a year talking to the manufacturer to get the exact quality materials that I wanted and teaching them every detail. I have had countless samples so I could get it exactly the way I wanted.

If you want any specific pictures I would be glad to take some so you can see the quality.

Alex
    Last edited by XadaGear; 07-14-2013 at 22:50. Reason: Added Some Words

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Welcome to HF and Good Luck!

From first glance I see a couple bumps in the road. First could be price points. High quality China all good and well, but with fire sales on e-bay and amazon, and even REI pricing on close outs and such submarining you at 19.99 per unit.

Second substandard and overpriced(for what you get)suspension.

To get around both, you might want to learn to make straps and splice whoopie slings and provide, pretty much the highest quality suspension out there atm, with these hammocks.

It would be the perfect way to highlight the higher level of quality and craftsmanship, you're selling the hammock under.

Doing so would also allow you to lower total cost, and provide an even better product, giving the rest of the Big Box Import outlets, at least a shake of your tail. It's still going to be extremely hard to run on the heels of that type of competition. For now, I'd focus on the campus dorm niche. Offering better kits for less, and while still increasing your rental profits.

Be sure you can't be held liable for structural damages caused by "misuse" of you product.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Welcome to HF and Good Luck!

From first glance I see a couple bumps in the road. First could be price points. High quality China all good and well, but with fire sales on e-bay and amazon, and even REI pricing on close outs and such submarining you at 19.99 per unit.

Second substandard and overpriced(for what you get)suspension.

To get around both, you might want to learn to make straps and splice whoopie slings and provide, pretty much the highest quality suspension out there atm, with these hammocks.

It would be the perfect way to highlight the higher level of quality and craftsmanship, you're selling the hammock under.

Doing so would also allow you to lower total cost, and provide an even better product, giving the rest of the Big Box Import outlets, at least a shake of your tail. It's still going to be extremely hard to run on the heels of that type of competition. For now, I'd focus on the campus dorm niche. Offering better kits for less, and while still increasing your rental profits.

Be sure you can't be held liable for structural damages caused by "misuse" of you product.
    It currently does come with a whoopie sling suspension system.

The $19.95 fire sales are a generic hammock that has zero thrills, no support, and is sacrificing something somewhere..

Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XadaGear View Post
    The $19.95 fire sales are a generic hammock that has zero thrills, no support, and is sacrificing something somewhere..
    What I lack in tact I make up for in bluntness. So here goes. I looked at the product and my immediate reaction was "snore". I do not dispute your efforts with the manufacturer, but I don't see them. In other words, where's the fruit of all that dialogue? The write up tells me absolutely nothing. No thrills. If I didn't know what a whoopie sling was already I wouldn't have recognized it as anything "special". Anyone who does recognize a whoopie sling is most likely not going to be in the market for a hammock that appears to be a copy of a lot of other stuff out there.

So if this is a something that stands apart from the crowd... tell me why. Not on the forum. You're preaching to the choir here. But in the write up... on the website. If you are aiming for the entry level consumer, they are going to look at the fire sales and go with price every time. Unless you educate them as to why they shouldn't.

So what makes you stand out? I don't get it from the website. I'm not trying to put you down. I am simply a tact impaired consumer trying to improve your presentation.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I agree with rev and nothermark, not piling on here. This product appears to be the same thing as many other parachute hammocks currently on the market, of which I have several. This appears to be another "me too" product that only potentially lowers margin for current manufacturers. I hope there is more, there may not be and that is okay. If not, then you might want market it through college bookstores or other retailers reaching a new consumer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I agree with rev and nothermark, not piling on here. This product appears to be the same thing as many other parachute hammocks currently on the market, of which I have several. This appears to be another "me too" product that only potentially lowers margin for current manufacturers. I hope there is more, there may not be and that is okay. If not, then you might want market it through college bookstores or other retailers reaching a new consumer.
    +3 Sorry. Hate it's Chinesse made. I get what you're doing but we really love our cottage vendors here. Best of luck in the future.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to look at the hammock size also. A longer hammock would be better and get you some customers that prefer the longer more comfortable hammocks. Maybe 10' or 11'. That would put you ahead of those other standard Chinese hammock makers.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast