AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Independence Hang

Over the weekend a few of us got together for a little hike and hang in southern Idaho. We hiked into Independence Lakes that are just north of the Utah-Idaho border. Seemed like a fitting place for a hang this month.

I was able to take my 6 yr old son on his first backpacking trip, which he was very excited about.

And with a little work to find and schedule a little baby sitting from both grandparents my wife was able to join us.

A few other members of the forum were able to make the hang, KSC from Nevada made the drive up. As did Blaktee and his son Trooper. We had a lot of fun and spent a lot of time talking gear.

We set out early on Friday morning to drive the couple hours to the trail head and meet up with KSC. In short order we had loaded up the packs and took off down the trail. About a hundred yards down the trail I thought, wait did I lock the car? Could not answer that one for sure so I sent Princess back to check. She came back to let me know I had. Woops. Ahhh if that had been my only brain flatulence of the day that would have been good.

We hiked for a while working our way up the trail at a comfortable pace. We let The Dude (aka our 6yr old) set the speed most of the time and while it was not real fast it was better than I had expected from him. Though we did need to stop and take a break every now and then most of them did not need to be drawing breaks.

As we approached the first lake KSC said something to the effect of "that was not too bad we should head back and start again." Don't know why but that kicked my brain into remembering the cheese and pizza sauce that were sitting in the cooler behind the drivers seat of the car. Princess who has been running for the past couple months was considering going back but KSC kept pushing that he would. He likes to hike...being 83% mountain goat helps I think. He dropped off his pack in the bushes and headed down the trail. We turned and headed on the last 1/2 mile to the first lake.

We had a small snack and set to doing a little fishing in the lake while we waited for KSC to catch back up.

It was not long before The Dude had pulled in his first Greyling.

With the sun beating down and the occasional grey cloud we decided we should head on up to the next lake to set up camp before it got dark.

As we got back to the trail along the edge of the lake up walked KSC...Saviour of Pizza Quesadilla dinner. The 4 of us hiked the last 2 tenths of a mile up to the second lake. Right off the bat we found a nice camp spot with plenty of trees spread out over a small area. Log benches were lined up around the main fire pit and views of the lake from most hanging spots.

The lake with camp to the left:

KSC's Switchback:

My RR next to The Dudes Jr. Trail Crew hammock:

Princess' Pink Flamingo with pink FlameThrower UQ:

As we got set up to make dinner Blaktee and Trooper came hiking in with a WOOOBUDDY! when they spotted camp. We all hung out for a while and ate and enjoyed the evening.

We all settled into our hammocks not long after it got dark enough to see the stars and enjoyed a windy night. In the morning we got up and made some breakfast and relaxed as the day started to warm up.

The Dude with oatmeal face

Princess not ready for the day till the coffee is gone.

KSC and his new shadow drinking tea and hot chocolate

With the sun up I was able to get some pictures of Blaktee and Troopers set ups.

After breakfast KSC, Blaktee and Trooper headed out to hike up to the ridgeline and check out the view. Princess, Dude and I hiked around the lake some looking for a good spot to do some fishing. Princess killed them this trip, she caught way more and way better fish than I had hopped for....well I had hoped to do as well as she but just did not have the luck she did.

Nice early morning cutthroat.

After a while we decided to hike down to the lower lake and try the fishing there to see if we could get some better action.

Princess again had the luck at the lower lake.

After a while Blaktee and Trooper came down to get a lesson on Tenkara. It did not take Blaktee too long to get the basics and land a nice greyling which made a break for it just as I clicked off the picture for evidence.

We hung out and fished for a while but things slowed down as the afternoon drug on. Blaktee and Trooper headed back up to camp and we tried for a little longer but eventually decided to head back up and do some dinner.

We busted out the Pack-it Gourmet Texas State Fair Chilli, which was excellent and we had enough to share a little with everyone...I would imagine that Trooper has already put together an order for some

Flock of Monarchs around the campfire

After dinner I decided to see if I could find any better fish for myself but did not have much luck. I did get to watch a great light show above the lake though.

Pic does not even come close to doing it justice.

We all turned in early again and in the morning everyone was up early, snacks for breakfast and packing up to hit the trail before it got too warm.

One last shot by the lake:

On the trail down:

We cruised the trail to the first lake

Having forgotten to get a group shot all together and with Blaktee and Trooper already well down the trail we grabbed one quick shot with KSC at the sign that marks the lakes.

The rest of the trail went pretty quickly with just a few stops.

It was a great hang with some great people. Thanks to KSC for saving dinner and for being the sherpa of the trip. Thanks to Blaktee and Trooper for joining us and for each of you for hanging with the Dude as he was busy bouncing off of every tree in the forest with a million comments and questions.
    Last edited by pgibson; 07-15-2013 at 20:46.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Great photos Paul, stunning country you guys have

Is that a cuben tarp with the red quilts inside? It looks very transparent

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Looked like a good time Paul.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Great photos Paul, stunning country you guys have

Is that a cuben tarp with the red quilts inside? It looks very transparent
    Yes the two cuben Hammock gear tarps are Blaktee and Troopers rig, one hex and one winter(with the red Hammock gear quilts and red Bias(I think) hammock.)

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Looked like a good time Paul.

bill
    Thanks Bill.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Fantastic family outing. They go by so quickly.

I do believe the young lady out fished you too!

I need some grayling fishing again soon!!

Excellent trip report.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Awesome countryside and looked like an awesome trip.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Looks like a great trip and The Dude sure is a cute little backpacker.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various

Independence Hang

Great trip report Paul.

If you get the chance to hike, hang or fish with Paul and his family don't pass it up. This was another great trip he organized.

The hike in was fairly easy and a perfect one for a six year old. A few places in the trail were rocky, but overall an easy hike. The Dude did a great job leading the way.

The veiws of the valley below were spectacular.

By the time I hiked almost the whole trail twice I was happy to see this sign.

Directly behind the sign was the first lake.

The next morning Trooper, Blaktee & I hiked up to the third lake. Here is a picture of them before we started the steep ascent to the ridge above the lakes.

This is a view of the third lake.

Lake one & two from the ridge.

Trooper lead the way to the top of the ridge. He set the perfect pace and took a lots of breaks making the climb easier. Here Blaktee & Trooper are resting at the summit.

They decided to head back down to do some fishing while I started the climb to the top of Cache Peak. There is no trail that I found and lots of brush and rocks. Here is looking south from the top 10,339 ft. elv.

For some reason I never took a picture of all four lakes. I thought I had, but now I will have to go back.

If you are ever down in southern Idaho, this is a beautiful area to hike in. The upper lakes don't have as many visitors if you like to camp in solitude. The only problem is no fish in the 3rd & 4th lakes.
    Last edited by KSC; 07-15-2013 at 21:32.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Great pictures KSC. Thanks for adding to the report. Great to see some of the country that we missed with our time spent fishing rather than hiking.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

sweet hang!!!

This really was a great hang. Independence Lakes turned out to be amazing. The hike in was around 3.5 miles to the middle lake. It had some elevation to it but the switchbacks were in great shape. Part of the trail in was shaded with big trees. And part of the trail was wide open to see the valley floor below.

Gandolph the great made an appearance on the trail in....

This is one of the open spots going in. There must have been a fire that had gone through here years ago. There were lots of trees that looked burnt, but had started to turn a white color. And you can see there is lots of new trees coming in.

Trooper and I hit camp about 8pm Friday night. Some whooobuddys and a cup of ramen later we were setting up our hammocks.

Troopers hammock

My hammock

You cant go to a hang without snooping around at all the sweet hammocks.

KSC's hammock

Princes's Palace

pgibson's and Dude's man cave

KSC, Trooper and I took a run up the mountain to see what we could see. Oh howdy!!!

This was super fun. It was my first "group" hang. I wondered how it would work. Getting together with folks I had never met and spend days just "hangin" out. I could not have imagined it to be more fun. It was like long lost friends brought together by the love of outdoors and mostly a good nights rest....in a hammock. HA!

Thanks Paul for organizing the trip and letting Trooper and I tag along.

-blaktee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast