Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

2 completely different tarps done 2 ways but how?

I am going to be making a couple of ridgelines for my 2 tarps( kelty noah 16 and a mosquito diamond rain fly). I have enough dyneema. I am certain I will be doing an full under the tarp run on the noah. I will probably do just tarp to tree for the diamond.

I am thinking I will just bite the bullet and drop $35 for some dutchware, but I already have some s-biners, knotbones and figure 9's.

I am thinking i will d something like this:
    http://theultimatehang.com/wp-conten...carabiners.jpg
    So should I dutch?
    Should I suck it up and learn knots( i know I should anyway and I am getting better)?
    Should I just use my current gear and spice so eyes?
    Or all of the above?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    A lot depends on how much $$$ one can justify on a purchase. Knots and what you have already are free. All my children are raised and two of them make more than I ever did as a pastor so I count that a success and bought a couple of pieces of Dutchware that will take me 10 more years to retirement!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I am going to be making a couple of ridgelines for my 2 tarps( kelty noah 16 and a mosquito diamond rain fly). I have enough dyneema. I am certain I will be doing an full under the tarp run on the noah. I will probably do just tarp to tree for the diamond.

I am thinking I will just bite the bullet and drop $35 for some dutchware, but I already have some s-biners, knotbones and figure 9's.

I am thinking i will d something like this:
    http://theultimatehang.com/wp-conten...carabiners.jpg
    So should I dutch?
    Should I suck it up and learn knots( i know I should anyway and I am getting better)?
    Should I just use my current gear and spice so eyes?
    Or all of the above?
    I was not much on knots either until I lost some hardware while I was out. That prompted me to learn a few very quickly

I have two tarps I carry all the time (moto camper here) Noah 12x12 and BCUSA 10x10. I rig them both using the way you have indicated in the Ultimate Hang. One of the things I really like about this method is how quickly adjustable it is.

My 10x10 is over my hammock and is a full ridge line over the tarp. My 12 x12 is used when I am base camping and is used as a table cover/place to hang up items out of the weather. It is hung with the ridge line under the tarp and I have about 8 prussic knots on it so I can clip items to it.

Personally I like not needing to carry (and lose) extra hardware but there is also nothing wrong with Dutch's hardware (beyond I lose it ) . You might want to start out by trying the way Derek suggests in the Ultimate Hang and then if you are not happy with it, purchase the Dutchware items.

Images
    Just curious, what size Dyneema are you using on the Kelty? I have one of these tarps and it is a beast. The diagonal line is 21' I think. I have always had to crank that ridgeline very tight to eliminate sag. I am always concerned about damaging the tree when honking down on it so tight. I use a NE StaSet X 5/16" for less stretch, strength and handling ability. I believe the increased diameter is a little better on the trees and certainly easier on the hands, but the 4400# rating is way overkill. I am really considering going to tree straps for this tarp alone. Oh yeah on this ridgeline, no hardware, just knots. My smaller tarps are hardware, dutch.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I use Mule tape as my ridge line on both of my tarps but I do not need to be concerned about weight so................

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    IMHO, "If ya don't use Dutch, ya don't use much."

Dutchware is good stuff.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    I have several knot tutorial apps on my phone, just in case.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I was not much on knots either until I lost some hardware while I was out. That prompted me to learn a few very quickly

I have two tarps I carry all the time (moto camper here) Noah 12x12 and BCUSA 10x10. I rig them both using the way you have indicated in the Ultimate Hang. One of the things I really like about this method is how quickly adjustable it is.

My 10x10 is over my hammock and is a full ridge line over the tarp. My 12 x12 is used when I am base camping and is used as a table cover/place to hang up items out of the weather. It is hung with the ridge line under the tarp and I have about 8 prussic knots on it so I can clip items to it.

Personally I like not needing to carry (and lose) extra hardware but there is also nothing wrong with Dutch's hardware (beyond I lose it ) . You might want to start out by trying the way Derek suggests in the Ultimate Hang and then if you are not happy with it, purchase the Dutchware items.
    the ultimate hang way uses 2 biners. I would think they could be just as easy to loose. I would think you could also need them for something else and forget to put them back. The stingers look to be grommet fixed to the end.
    I will be adding the prussics under the tarp especially considering i have the noah 16.
    I could just buy 2 cheaper biners.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    the ultimate hang way uses 2 biners. I would think they could be just as easy to loose. I would think you could also need them for something else and forget to put them back. The stingers look to be grommet fixed to the end.
    I will be adding the prussics under the tarp especially considering i have the noah 16.
    I could just buy 2 cheaper biners.
    You are correct, I could lose the biners but I usually have spares of those. I also do not remove them from the tarps because I would lose them...old age sucks.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Just curious, what size Dyneema are you using on the Kelty? I have one of these tarps and it is a beast. The diagonal line is 21' I think. I have always had to crank that ridgeline very tight to eliminate sag. I am always concerned about damaging the tree when honking down on it so tight. I use a NE StaSet X 5/16" for less stretch, strength and handling ability. I believe the increased diameter is a little better on the trees and certainly easier on the hands, but the 4400# rating is way overkill. I am really considering going to tree straps for this tarp alone. Oh yeah on this ridgeline, no hardware, just knots. My smaller tarps are hardware, dutch.
    I guess the tree straps would be like a mini hammock setup? Yes the noah is a beast. I learned a bad lesson once... if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot. So I have a 50' yellow which is zing it. a few steps smaller then 7/64. I usually use figure 9's and because a am an un-edjucated idiot I wrap it around the tree and usually don't have the 9's right so at some point the loosen. I then fix it. I can tie knots... give me a piece of rope and while sitting in my chair I can make several knots. Give me a tree, tarp, hammock and I become lost. This is why I am working on perminent set ups. so I can take it out camping and figure out ways for it to not work like i set it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast