Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Hey guys, just asking but is there a planning spreadsheet or anything for this? I haven't made the commitment to it yet but it is weighing heavy in my planning.

Billy Bob. You planning on being there? This may well tip the scale. Been wanting to meet you (live in person) for a while now.

Thanks for that thought, DD, same towards you! I have certainly been thinking about it. I just drove right by that area once again, on I20, coming back from visiting a very sick cousin over in GA, and thought "Man I need to get over here!".

But I've got to where I don't commit to any hikes/camps very far in advance anymore, because I have had to bail on so many the last few years. So I tend not to say "I'm coming" until very near the event when the odds seem very good of me actually showing up.

The other factor is my ability to hike. I have been meaning to, and am actually going to, start a new thread related to that very subject. For the short version here, I am recently very encouraged about me being able to join a hike without the other guys nearly needing to carry me out. ( getting in is usually OK, it's the next day or two where there has been a problem). But things are really looking up on that. In the last week or two I did first ( with light pack) 2 miles with no issues the next day, then 3 and then 5, with almost no problems other than normal out of shape muscle problems which I don't care about. So it looks really good, but I would like a bit more confirmation before committing to any type of group hike. Don't want to be a drag to the other hikers! ( Last 2 hikes out of the Sipsey, and out of the Sawtooths, I have very slowly limped out, with a ridiculous amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth with every step! Don't want to subject anyone to that!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for that thought, DD, same towards you! I have certainly been thinking about it. I just drove right by that area once again, on I20, coming back from visiting a very sick cousin over in GA, and thought "Man I need to get over here!".

But I've got to where I don't commit to any hikes/camps very far in advance anymore, because I have had to bail on so many the last few years. So I tend not to say "I'm coming" until very near the event when the odds seem very good of me actually showing up.

The other factor is my ability to hike. I have been meaning to, and am actually going to, start a new thread related to that very subject. For the short version here, I am recently very encouraged about me being able to join a hike without the other guys nearly needing to carry me out. ( getting in is usually OK, it's the next day or two where there has been a problem). But things are really looking up on that. In the last week or two I did first ( with light pack) 2 miles with no issues the next day, then 3 and then 5, with almost no problems other than normal out of shape muscle problems which I don't care about. So it looks really good, but I would like a bit more confirmation before committing to any type of group hike. Don't want to be a drag to the other hikers! ( Last 2 hikes out of the Sipsey, and out of the Sawtooths, I have very slowly limped out, with a ridiculous amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth with every step! Don't want to subject anyone to that!)
    Just so you know, the campsite is only about 1 mile from the parking area on the main road and less than 1/2 mile if you park in the gravel road parking area.

G-Nut
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Cheaha state park/ AL / fall hang

Yeah guys, this is an easy walk from the car for sure. I walked the gravel road from the Turnipseed parking lot down to the Chinnabee trail crossing, then followed the trail to the falls and campsite. It was .92 miles by my GPS. If others want to get a good hike in, there are certainly trails available. Or, if you want to be lazy and just "hang" out around camp all weekend (like I did last time), then that is certainly an option as well.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    None... baby steps
    Suspension
    Kammok Python
    Hey guys, I'm probably the newest Alabama guy here on the forum (3rd day), but I'm most likely gonna make this hang. Looking forward to meetiung some folks...
    -Domo
    "No man can stand alone in a primeval forest, untouched by the hand of man, and not realize that there is more in us than the mere breath of our bodies."

Images
    Billy - there are points where I feel your pain - literally. We had a youth kickoff at church the other night and I got roped into a series of dodgeball games (lost count after 7). The next two days reminded me why I had to quit playing softball. Wailing and gnashing indeed.

I understand and will likely be in the same boat. Hit me up when it gets closer and maybe it will work out for the both of us. Would love for my son to meet ya (your a tad bit famous in the house from him reading over my shoulder on the forum). He's a sponge of a lad and he and his dad would enjoy a tip or three from a stand up guy like yourself.

Keep up the training and hope to see ya on the trail.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by DomoTVA View Post
    Hey guys, I'm probably the newest Alabama guy here on the forum (3rd day), but I'm most likely gonna make this hang. Looking forward to meetiung some folks...
    Welcome! It will be a good time for sure.

G-Nut
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Digital Camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah tarp 12
    Insulation
    Grapenut Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey guys haven't check up on this hang in a month looks like you guys got it planed without me. Sweet Been really busy cant wait for the hang it was fun in the spring I don't se why it wouldn't be fun in the fall.
    "If there is a problem duct tape"

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    I'm new in Alabama and I may try to come to this hang. First weekend of October I have a backpacking trip plan in western North Carolina. What all do you guys do at a hang in Alabama? I'm looking to do some hiking here in Alabama when the weather gets colder. Too hot for me at the moment.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Digital Camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah tarp 12
    Insulation
    Grapenut Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    if I could make it up to north carolina I would be there. in the spring we just chilled out but this time who know some might want to hike
    "If there is a problem duct tape"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Scratch my name off the list if it was on there.. I've had something come up. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next one!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast