Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Suspension Mod - Adding Cinch Buckles to a Hennessy Explorer

Just added this to the page...
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHHBuckles.html

The Hennessy product line is very versatile, and their hammocks are usually considered one of the better starter hammocks because of the complete nature of the purchase (they come with a tarp). They are also cheaper than comparable hammocks (because they're made in China) and are sold in several big-box stores like REI. HHs are comfortable, but like any piece of hiking gear, they are not perfect.

One of the key features that many hammockers like to customize is the suspension system. Hennessy's system of spectra cord lashed to a tree hugger is one of the lightest methods that still responsibly protects the trees. It's also simple, if you define simple as fewest parts with no mechanical pieces to break in the field. If you are knot/lashing challenged, however, or if you want an easily adjustable system, or if you just want one that goes up faster in the rain, you may not consider it so simple. In that case, changing the suspension to cinch buckles may be a good mod for you.

An easy way to do this would be to use the existing cord, wrap it a few times around the cinch buckle, tie it in a knot, and cut off the excess. If you're happy with that, then run with it. I'm presenting an alternate methods that ends up looking cleaner and more professional.
    What do y'all think? I'm kinda concerned about the knot after I realized that the stress will be different from the original setup, but I'm gonna test it before I change it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    DIY CimaShield TQ
    Hey Jeff I was wondering what you found out about this set up. I just got a HH UL Explorer and I was thinking about using your method so i could set it up quicker.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Jeff is off the forum for a few months while deployed overseas.

That being said, several members here have reported the same setup used over time and no issues. I personally have a HH that I modded similarly that is fine after many nights in the field.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is a great mod. You are wise to be wary of the square not for this application. You would be much better off to use a triple fisherman's knot with the Spectra line. Note that this link illustrates a double fisherman's knot. When tying this with Spectra line, you should add a third wrap, making it a triple fisherman's knot.

• + New Posts